• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 9/23/11: Mike Shanahan

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
September 23, 2011
Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On the injury status of safety LaRon Landry:
“He couldn’t go full speed yet. I’m not sure if it was the field or if he didn’t test it out. He’ll be a game time decision. It’s not like he could run, but it’s in the 70-80th percentile. I told him, I said, 'don’t push it – you’ll know when your body can push it and if you don’t feel like you’re loose or you can’t push it, that’s why we’ll get a feel for it before the game.’”

On if Landry will have to be 100 percent before the game in order to play:
“I’m not going to get into that. He’ll get a gut [feeling about] what he does before the game and kind of go with my gut. I can’t tell you if it’s 85 or 100, but I have a good feel if he can last the whole game or have a chance and not set himself back. I don’t want to play him and, all of a sudden, he pulls [his hamstring] in the second or third play of the game and we lose him for six weeks, so he’s going to have to show me something to play.”

On if he has to hold Landry back:
“That’s what I’ve emphasized to him – you know your body, just push yourself as much as you can, but don’t over-push it. Try to test it and we need you for this season, not just one game. He understands where we’re coming from and I think he has a good feel for where he is.”

On if the wet practice field held Landry back:
“I don’t think so. It wasn’t too bad today even though it was a little wet. I think the conditions were okay.”

On if Landry would play a whole game if he were healthy:
“Even if I could answer that, I wouldn’t. I won’t get into detail how much we are going to play somebody relative to an injury.”

On the injury status of cornerback Josh Wilson:
“He was limited too, but he did practice and did get some reps in there. A lot of these guys we put down as limited are going to be a game day decision. The good part about it is we have an extra day-and-a-half to recover and that always helps.”

On his approach to preparing for a short week after the long week:
“It depends if the game is home or away and depends on injury situations with your team. I’ve done it both ways. There’s not a right way or a wrong way, but sometimes you like to give a guy an extra day of mental preparation because, if you have your game plan on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, then you get an extra 24 hours to go over the game plan mentally. If you do have some injuries at the end of the week, you have a chance to go a little bit easier. Like tomorrow, it’ll basically be a walkthrough for us. We get a chance to review some things, but it won’t be a physical practice for us.”

On recovering for the short week:
“I’m not sure if it is going to affect us at all on the following week. After you play a full game, you don’t know what’s going to happen. Normally after a Monday night game, you have Tuesday off and get treatments and Wednesday you’re going. 24 hours less recovery time is a little tougher on everybody regardless.”

On if he has been a big proponent of using the no huddle:
“We saw the Rams come out with that no huddle. Everybody has a different type of game plan and there are different ways to keep defenses or offenses off-balance. Sometimes it will be with a blitz package and other times it will be with a no huddle. Other times, [it may be] the wildcat and there are a lot of different things you can do.”

On Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo wearing extra padding for his rib injury:
“I’ve had players play with very sore ribs, cracked ribs and it’s very painful. First of all, they usually take a shot in an area that will alleviate some of the pain. It’s not easy, that’s for sure, depending on where it’s located, how painful it is, you just really don’t know. I’m sure they’re not going to put him in there unless he’s ready to go.”

On if field goals inside of 30 yards are becoming automatic in the NFL:
“I wish it was with us. I wish it was a little more consistent last year, those automatic field goals. Depending on your football team, depending on your kicker, you always want it to be automatic. Sometimes it’s not. You have somebody pull one or push one or get it blocked. That’s why you’ve got to work on it. But hopefully we’ll be a lot better in that area than we were a year ago.”

On the contingency plan if both fullbacks Darrel Young and Mike Sellers can not play:
“Well, first of all, you don’t go into that because you’re giving away your game plan, but we try to play the best 46 players we can. We’ve got a game plan going in. Hopefully people will be as healthy as they be. But that’s part of the process to evaluate on game day who can be up, who’s not, and be able to run all the type of substitution groups you’re hoping that you can run. But you work on it during the week. We usually use a little bit of everything – two backs, one back, some four-wides, some tight end and three-wides. We’ve been doing that for a long time, so hopefully we’ll have that flexibility.”

On if injuries to Young and Sellers have more of an effect on preparing special teams than on the offense:
“No, because you can see it during the week. If you’ve got somebody limited in practice, you’re playing two guys – one guy that knows he’s going to play and a guy behind him that you’re not really sure is going to play. So you’ve got to work on that early in the week and you’ve got to have a plan for it.

On if tight end Chris Cooley is feeling more comfortable after returning from a knee injury:
“I think we’ve talked about that. It’s hard really for him to feel comfortable in a game until he can practice in pads. When you’re out for a month and you’re not able to practice in pads and your first time in pads is a game situation, you feel a little bit uncomfortable. That’s what Chris is talking about. Every time Chris plays in pads and practices in pads, he’s feeling better, he feels like he’s more ready to do what he’s capable of doing.”

On if the rain negatively impacted preparation for Dallas:
“No. It wasn’t bad today. It was just a little drizzle and it stopped at the end. I think if it would have come down hard the whole day, obviously that’s not the perfect conditions. But today wasn’t bad at all.”

(Courtesy of the Washington Redskins)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.