• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Predict the Final 53

Lanky Livingston

The first 5 have fallen - the Skins must cut down to 53 by 4pm Saturday. Who do you think will make the team?

Here's my guess:
3 - QB: Campbell, Collins, Brennan
3 - RB: Portis, Betts, Cartwright
1 - FB: Sellers
3 - TE: Cooley, Davis, Yoder
5 - WR: Moss, Randle-El, Kelly, D. Thomas, Mitchell
10 - OL: Samuels, Dockery, Rabach, R. Thomas, Heyer, Rhinehart, Bridges, E. Williams, M. Williams, W. Montgomery

2 - FS: Landry, Moore
2 - SS: Horton, Doughty
5 - CB: Hall, Rogers, Smoot, Tryon, Barnes
6 - LB: Fletcher, McIntosh, Orakpo, Blades, Wilson, Henson
9 - DL: Haynesworth, Griffin, A. Montgomery, Golston, Daniels, Carter, Wynn, Dixon, Jarmon

4 - ST: Rayner, Albright, Smith, Dorsey

Last edited by a moderator:
I had done one earlier with Fincher making the 53 (see link below)
and reasoning also.

http://walkingdeadmanblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/so-who-makes-team.html

but now that the first five cuts are in:

QB- Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, Colt Brennan
FB- Mike Sellers
RB- Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, Marcus Mason
WR- Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle-El, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Marko Mitchell
TE- Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Todd Yoder
O-line- Chris Samuels, Derrick Dockery, Casey Rabach, Randy Thomas, Stephon Heyer, Chad Rinehart, Jeremy Bridges, Will Montgomery, lineman not on roster*
D-line- Andre Carter, Albert Haynesworth, Cornelius Griffin, Phillip Daniels, Kedric Golston, Anthony Montgomery, Lorenzo Alexander, Jeremy Jarmon
DE/LB- Chris Wilson, Brian Orakpo
LB- London Fletcher, Rocky McIntosh, HB Blades, Robert Thomas, Robert Henson, Cody Glenn
DB- Carlos Rogers, DeAngelo Hall, Fred Smoot, Justin Tryon, Kevin Barnes, Laron Landry, Chris Horton, Reed Doughty, Kareem Moore
STers- Ethan Albright, Hunter Smith, Dave Rayner

Dang, I forgot Jarmon. He'll probably make it over Dorsey.

I strongly disagree with Mason making the team...he's to sketchy in pass-protection. Also, he hasn't blown anyone away with his teams play.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Barnes will make the team.

It is Westbrook that has failed in 2 years to force his way onto the roster at CB.

Devin Thomas was returning kicks because the team is testing whether they can make do without Cartwright and/or whether a roster spot is there for Marko Mitchell.

Don't kid yourselves, teams are too thin at WR for the Redskins to carry Mitchell for long on the practice squad.The Redskins know that.

I expect the Redskins to add a veteran OL after the dinal round of cuts. Expect Mike Williams to be put on the PUP list to start the season.

The other two vets that have had very quiet preseasons are Renaldo Wynn and Robert Thomas. While Daniels at 36 seem to have a lot left in the tank I am not so sure about Wynn. Thomas has been all but invisible on defense and had a penalty negating a nice return by Dorsey on teams.

I think Colt Brennan has the talent to stay in the NFL as a depth player but he lacks the maturity and judgment to project to anything more than a #3.

The question is whether Zorn is confident enough as QB coach to take an undersized but smart and more polished player in Daniel and try and develop him into more than a #3 down the road.

I'll take a stab at it:

3 - QB: Campbell, Collins, Brennan
4 - RB: Portis, Betts, Cartwright, Mason
9 - OL: Samuels, Dockery, Rabach, R. Thomas, Heyer, Rhinehart, Bridges, M. Williams, W. Montgomery

6 - CB: Hall, Rogers, Smoot, Tryon, Westbrook, Barnes
9 - DL: Haynesworth, Griffin, A. Montgomery, Golston, Daniels, Carter, Jarmon, L. Alexander, Dixon

3 - ST: Suisham, Albright, Smith

Crap, forgot about Barnes. Replace Westbrook and Hackett with Barnes and Jarmon.

3 - QB: Campbell, Collins, Daniel
3 - RB: Portis, Cartwright, Mason
6 - WR: Moss, Randle-El, Kelly, D. Thomas, Mitchell, Hackett
10 - OL: Samuels, Dockery, Rabach, R. Thomas, Heyer, Rhinehart, Bridges, E. Williams, M. Williams, W. Montgomery

5 - CB: Hall, Rogers, Smoot, Westbrook, Barnes
8 - DL: Haynesworth, Griffin, A. Montgomery, Golston, Daniels, Carter, Wynn, Dixon

4 - ST: Rayner, Albright, Smith, Dorsey

Wow, predicting Betts get cut? It would actuallÝ make sense financially, since we re-signed him on the cheap, but I don't think there's any way Mason makes the final 53 over Betts. That would make for some very interesting chatter though, that's for sure.

Here you have it...

3 - QB: Campbell, Collins, Daniel
4 - RB: Portis, Betts, Cartwright, Aldridge
9 - OL: Samuels, Dockery, Rabach, R. Thomas, Heyer, Rhinehart, Bridges, M. Williams, W. Montgomery

5 - CB: Hall, Rogers, Smoot, Tryon, Barnes
7 - LB: Fletcher, McIntosh, Orakpo, Blades, Wilson, Henson, Glenn
9 - DL: Haynesworth, Griffin, A. Montgomery, Golston, Daniels, Carter, Jarmon, Alexander, Jackson

3 - ST: Rayner, Albright, Smith

Most of these are pretty close to one another, so no use in my rehashing things. The only surprise I could see if possibly Robert Henson to the PS and Darrell Young to the active roster.

I think for familiarity reason both Suisham and Brennan hang on.

If we suffer because of the kicking game, then we deserve it. Competition for Suisham equals Raynor? Please.

I don't think Mason is going to make the roster. The team lost a number of veteran ST performers in the offseason, hard to see Cartwright getting released unless Mason is seen as an impact player on offense.

I don't think Zorn views him that way. He has good instincts but is not particularly fast and is on the smallish side in terms of durability.

Would I like to see another back behind Portis with big play potential to unseat Betts or Cartwright?

Yep, but it doesn't look like Mason is it.

I don't think Mason is going to make the roster. The team lost a number of veteran ST performers in the offseason, hard to see Cartwright getting released unless Mason is seen as an impact player on offense.

I don't think Zorn views him that way. He has good instincts but is not particularly fast and is on the smallish side in terms of durability.

Would I like to see another back behind Portis with big play potential to unseat Betts or Cartwright?

Yep, but it doesn't look like Mason is it.

Agreed. Let's face it, we are talking about a 4th running back. Rock will get the touches before they would. This has to be a guy that plays special teams. That is not Mason.

This argument does not hold any weight. He is an average sized RB in the NFL. He may be a little on the shorter side, but here are a few NFL RB's that are about the same weight or lighter (some are even shorter).

Per NFL.com:

Brian Westbrook - 5'10" 203
DeAngelo Williams -5'9" 217
Darren McFadden - 6'2" 210 (Taller but weighs less)
Maurice Jones-Drew - 5'7" 208
Felix Jones - 6' 212 (Taller but weighs less)
Frank Gore - 5'9" 217
Adrian Peterson - 6'1" 217 (Very slightly bigger)
Ahmad Bradshaw - 5'9" 198

All the backs that I have named are going to see way more time than Marcus Mason who at 5'9" - 215 is a solid sized back. If he does make the team he probably wouldn't even see 100 carries so durability is definitely not an issue.

Well, according to DC Sportsbog, Vinny has indicated that we're keeping 9 OL, 3 TE and 25 on offense, which means we're probably gonna carry 4 RBs. You Mason lovers may just get your wish.

if there is going to be another back kept it has to be Mason.

Alridge and Dorsey haven't really shown us much. Alridge has speed and nothing else and Dorsey is strictly a return man listed as a running back, just as Mike Nelms used to be listed as a safety but never really played the position for the team.

I should've kept Westbrook on my final 53 after all. Congrats to the kid for finally making it; I hope he'll do well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.