• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The TE Situation

Lanky Livingston

I can't remember what thread it was in, but somebody asked about 1 & 2TE sets, and I've seen a few Twitter updates with information.

From Rich Campbell:
"Redskins used 2 TEs on 21 of 64 snaps vs NYG. Davis was alone on 26 snaps; Cooley was alone on 6; and they used 3 TEs on 11."

From Chris Wesseling:
"Fred Davis played 58 snaps in the opener vs. 38 for Chris Cooley. Davis the lone TE on 3rd downs and at the goal-line, too"

From Big Lead Sports:
"Fred Davis is the guy you want. There were rumblings that he had overtaken Cooley and he was getting reps in front of him, and in week 1, he was targeted 6 times for 5 catches and 105 yards but no TD’s, so people just looking at fantasy score might overlook or think it was a fluke with Cooley there. (Cooley was targeted 3 times)."

These are all very interesting, and suggest that Davis has in fact taken the job from Chris. However, we have to see what Chris does once he gets healthy, if he does at all. I agree with SkinsOrlando that Cooley looked a little tentative on the knee.

Kinda reminds of another bi-racial situation.

The Bonnie Situation.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMBoN9xUVZM[/media]

The similarities are downright eerie.

Interesting info, Lanky. All the better to keep the opposing defenses guessing, I say. :thumbsup:

As for Cooley not looking full-speed, did anyone else notice him celebrating after some of the scores? He looked pretty damn healthy jumping up and down and body-slamming his teammates to me. I think it'll just take him awhile to get back to playing full-speed, but unlike Landry (who I think I think has a significant injury and will miss more than a game or two this year), I have the feeling Cooley will be okay.

Trade Landry before the deadline? During the offseason?

And we need for Cooley to retire as a member of the Redskins - playing his entire career here. He is the personality of this team in many ways. Fletcher is the straight guy (and that is needed too) to Cooley's craziness. You don't trade that locker room presence away.

Trade Landry before the deadline? During the offseason?

And we need for Cooley to retire as a member of the Redskins - playing his entire career here. He is the personality of this team in many ways. Fletcher is the straight guy (and that is needed too) to Cooley's craziness. You don't trade that locker room presence away.

And you're planning on using who to replace him ? I think it's way too soon to give up on Landry.

Davis is healthy but Cooley is still a threat, I think once he gets back into playing shape he'll be targeted more. For now, it's decoy time, they'll throw a couple touches his way to keep the defense acknowledging he's on the field but until he can run without looking cumbersome I doubt he'll play a significant role in the offense. The "do we trade Cooley" question has been brought up several times since we drafted Davis and my answer remains the same, a few good games doesnt make him a replacement for Cooley at similar value. If Davis does match Cooleys production, if Cooley is still productive why trade? Or maybe I'm a Cooley homer and just cant think of him being sent packing.

Of course if Cooley comes back completely healthy and can resume his normal production and Davis continues like he did against the Giants it could make two-TE sets kind of interesting for opposing DCs.

I think you do your best to get your best 11 on the field and to me Cooley and Davis are, right now, both better than any WR on the team other than Moss.

Haveing both on the field is good as it gives plenty of options as both are decent blockers and both can catch

Chris Cooley's first game without a catch since 2004...wow. Is that some sort of record?

EDIT: apparently it was the first time since 2009 against Carolina

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to go with what's working.

Any idea that cooley needs to get the ball more simply because he's the star, or a high paid athlete, is not good logic (not saying anyone here is suggesting that)

Cooley still has a lot of potential. Right now people are sleeping on sleepy davis. Keep giving him the ball until teams start respecting him.

According to WaPo, it was Cooley who suggested feeding the ball to Davis more. Dude is an all-around team player!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...avis-the-ball/2011/09/19/gIQAgBLtfK_blog.html

Which makes it that more frustrating that the Redskins apparently forgot to honor him AGAIN this week as the most prolific TE in Redskins history. Redskins have said it was "oversight" - how do you do that two weeks in a row???

Is his jersey on sale at he Redskins Store?

You have to go with what's working.

Any idea that cooley needs to get the ball more simply because he's the star, or a high paid athlete, is not good logic (not saying anyone here is suggesting that)

Cooley still has a lot of potential. Right now people are sleeping on sleepy davis. Keep giving him the ball until teams start respecting him.

Agreed, but look at the Patriots with Gronkowski & Hernandez. No reason we shouldn't be getting that type of production out of Cooley & Davis (outside of the fact that we have Grossman while they have Brady)...

Agreed, but look at the Patriots with Gronkowski & Hernandez. No reason we shouldn't be getting that type of production out of Cooley & Davis (outside of the fact that we have Grossman while they have Brady)...

Looking at the game again last night, I think Cooleys knee is still jacked and that perhaps he's out there just as much to be a decoy of sorts than an active TE

agreed.

i think we need to give it time. grossman is still figuring out his targets. no offseason, and bunch of new guys. and offensive line that is clearly still developing.

the best thing for the team right now is some wins to build confidence. it also shows the players that what the coaches are preaching (hard work, in practice and on the field) is true; it's positive reinforcement and helps get people on the same page. if this sort of thing continues, i think we'll see a completely different offense come week 12, 13, and beyond than what we see right now.

the best thing for the team right now is some wins to build confidence. it also shows the players that what the coaches are preaching (hard work, in practice and on the field) is true; it's positive reinforcement and helps get people on the same page. if this sort of thing continues, i think we'll see a completely different offense come week 12, 13, and beyond than what we see right now.

For sure...if Cooley & Davis DO develop into a Gronkowski/Hernandez type combination, with Moss/Gaffney/Armstrong at WR, this offense may explode. I don't think Grossman will be throwing for 517 yards any time soon, but we could start seeing 30+ points on a regular basis!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.