• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL Power Rankings : Redskins Make Biggest Jump

Any metric used that puts the Buffalo Bills as the #2 ranked team in the NFL is not accurate. That is why I asked. It is all just a bunch of numbers with no real measure to bring the stats together.

Do you read before you post? Its based on every single play from one game, compared to every other play from every other game. The Bills are the 2nd highest-scoring team in the NFL right now, and tied for 1st in scoring defense. How is a ranking that puts them 2nd not accurate?

Do you read before you post? Its based on every single play from one game, compared to every other play from every other game. The Bills are the 2nd highest-scoring team in the NFL right now, and tied for 1st in scoring defense. How is a ranking that puts them 2nd not accurate?

I am going to ignore the highlighted statement...

As for the question posed at the end of the quote, which is all you needed to ask in the 1st place, this metrics system does not factor in the strength of the opponent. There are variables involved that this metric does not take into account.

I am going to ignore the highlighted statement...

You don't have to, I already know the answer.

Elephant said:
As for the question posed at the end of the quote, which is all you needed to ask in the 1st place, this metrics system does not factor in the strength of the opponent.

This is from the explanation link I posted:

"DVOA EXPLAINED

The majority of the ratings featured on FootballOutsiders.com are based on DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. DVOA breaks down every single play of the NFL season to see how much success offensive players achieved in each specific situation compared to the league average in that situation, adjusted for the strength of the opponent."

Edited because the message was sent. The board is more important.

Last edited:
seriously lanky, if the bills are #2 then the system is flawed, these sorts of rankings are worthless until the middle of the season, anyone watching us against the Giants without paying attention to injuries, morale etc etc, would think we were a contender, I will wait for a few more games with similiar results before I jump on that wagon, Ive been burned too many times.

I never said it was a flawless system; but its based on what happens in the season, which is what counts. Yes, with less data you will have outliers that will correct themselves eventually. However all power ranking systems are crap to a certain extent, even more so when they're based on some joker's opinion.

Its a highly respected ranking system, you can choose to ignore it if you'd like but I will continue to share it with the board.

lol I didnt say it was junk I said that early on its very misleading, I actually like those guys, they do a solid job breaking stuff down, all I am saying is be very careful hanging your hat on something like that early on, it will actually be more useful and more accurate as the season goes on. I hate most "power rankings" because all they are based on is some asshat who has a blog and an opinion and rudimentary knowledge of the sport.

It's a complete BS article. He loses credibility with these completely contradicting statements :

No team in the NFL, even playing at its best, could have stopped the Packers last Thursday night

and

With one more yard, the Saints could have been on the winning side Thursday night. Just like the Packers, the Saints' defense is better than its performance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.