• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NCAA Re-alignment

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
It looks like there will be some changes in NCAA conferences soon and we're probably looking at sixteen teams in most of the leagues. The landscape will change forever and it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Below are my predictions (based on football alignment) of how it will look. Schools in red are the possible new arrivals. Feel free to make your own predictions - we can agree or agree to disagree.

Atlantic Coast Conference
Virginia
Boston College
Virginia Tech
Duke
Wake Forest
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame
Louisville
Connecticut
Cincinnati

Big Ten
Northwestern
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Ohio State
Indiana
Penn State
Purdue
Michigan State
Michigan
Maryland
Rutgers

Southeastern
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Kentucky
Arkansas
Louisiana State
Texas A&M
Missouri

Pac-12
Southern California
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah
Washington State
Washington
Oregon
Oregon State
California
Stanford

Big12
Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas Christian
Iowa State
Baylor
West Virginia
Cincinnati
South Florida

MWC - CUSA
Marshall
Alabama-Birmingham
Southern Mississippi
Tulsa
Rice
Texas-El Paso
Colorado State
Wyoming
Nevada-Las Vegas
New Mexico
Air Force
Fresno State
Hawaii
Nevada
Old Dominion
UNC-Charlotte
Middle Tennessee State
Florida Atlantic

Mid American
Bowling Green
Ohio
Buffalo
Miami (OH)
Kent State
Northern Illinois
Akron
Eastern Michigan
Toledo
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Ball State

Sun Belt – Western Athletic (Merger?)
Arkansas State
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe
Western Kentucky
San Jose State
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
North Texas
Florida International
Louisiana Tech
Utah State
Idaho

Big East
Georgetown (Non football)
Providence (Non football)
Cincinnati
Connecticut
DePaul (Non football)
Marquette (Non football)
St. John's (Non football)
Seton Hall (Non football)
South Florida
Villanova (Non football)
Memphis
Navy (Football only)
San Diego State (Football only)
Boise State
Temple
Tulane
East Carolina
Southern Methodist
Houston
Central Florida

Independents
Army
Brigham Young

Last edited:
Syracuse and Pitt apply to join the ACC and looks like it will go through. Big12 about to implode.

Texas and Notre Dame rumored to ACC. Wow - if that happens.

Time to update my list.

I don't care about Notre Dame, the most over rated NCAA program in the last 20 years, but Texas? That would be huge. Any rumblings where OK might end up?

Also, the ACC has made it more difficult for teams to leave by increasing the buyout fee to 20 million. If I remember correctly, I thought I heard talk of Miami going to the SEC so the Canes can kiss that idea Good-Bye.

I understand that certain rivalries will be created, but can you imagine not having the Red River Rivalry? I am sure they could play the game every year still, but it would no longer have Conference implications. That part of this whole re-alignment saddens me.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. are probably going to the Pac12.

Speaking of the $20 million exit fee for leaving the ACC - that was UNANIMOUSLY approved by all ACC member institutions. So any talk of the SEC or Big10 getting any ACC school is moot. It was never going to happen and the ACC has always bargained from a position of strength. Just ask VT, Miami, and BC.

One other note - ten schools have contacted the ACC about applying for membership. No wonder ND and Texas seem interested.

Going to be an interesting week.

When you wake up and read this latest post or if you are a night owl, here is the scoop - and it is reliable.

ACC school presidents voted on Saturday morning to unanimously accept Syracuse and Pitt. The official announcement will come around mid-morning today (Sunday).

But that's not all...

The ACC is waiting to see how things unfold on Monday. Texas and Notre Dame could get invites. The ACC will not accept the status of being an independent in football, so this could all but rule out Notre Dame. It could also rule out Texas, but they might be ok with being a football member in the ACC.

If it is Texas only, then the ACC will invite Connecticut and they appear to be very interested. If Texas and Notre Dame are not options, then UConn and Rutgers will get the invites. Like UConn, Rutgers is very interested too.

One other thing - no member institution is leaving the ACC.

It will be an interesting few days. College sports is about to change in ways that didn't seem possible a few years ago.

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. are all but signed, sealed, and delivered to the Pac12.

UConn is all but certain to get an invite to the ACC. Ditto for Rutgers, but West Virginia is still a longshot.

I've heard speculation that the creation of 4 'super conferences' might be setting the stage for NCAA football playoffs. No idea how that would work, or if that's just wild speculation. But it's interesting....

I haven't heard anything about a playoff system, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Here is some of the latest...

The Big East is going to try and stop Syracuse and Pitt from leaving until 2014 or 2015 - eh, good luck with that one BE.

Big12 and BE leftovers could be looking for a merger at some point.

MWC and CUSA (along with TCU) are talking about a merger at some point.

Univ. of Cincinnati is not considered to be a candidate for admission by the ACC, SEC, and Big10. Ouch.

Villanova has applied for membership to the ACC. They will be rejected. They have burned many bridges in the BE with promises to expand their football program to 1A, but refused to do so in recent years.

Connecticut is all but begging to enter the ACC. Rutgers prefers the ACC to the Big10.

Texas to the ACC is dead, but Notre Dame to the ACC is on life support - but not likely.

I read a story on ESPN.com that stated Texas likes the idea of the ACC because they will be the Big Boy on the block.

Yes, Texas would like to have that distinction. However, they would need to share 50-50 of their network with the ACC as per Swofford. In other words, it is not happening.

Personally, I'd rather see institutions along the east coast or darn close to it in the ACC.

One other thing - there are a few rumors that Penn St. could switch to the ACC. Eh, I highly doubt it - but it is in the rumor mill.

At this point, I think they will need to change the name of the ACC to the Big ACC.

West Virginia will not be accepted by the SEC or Big10 according to various reports. Ouch.

Villanova has been rejected by the ACC. Villanova wasted their time in trying to apply - they are not ACC-worthy.

Is there some sort of deadline for this to get done? Seems like a lot of recent activity. Or was A&M leaving the Big 12 just a domino that set everything in motion?

Yes, this is a domino effect. Lots of things happening this week.

Here is the latest...

Missouri just got an invite to the SEC.

Interesting. LSU Tigers. Auburn Tigers. Missouri Tigers. All in the same conference now. You don't suppose that the SEC would invite Memphis to the...eh, it would never happen. :biggrin2:

Interesting. LSU Tigers. Auburn Tigers. Missouri Tigers. All in the same conference now. You don't suppose that the SEC would invite Memphis to the...eh, it would never happen. :biggrin2:

Ha!! I wonder if they'll switch to the War Eagles or something.

East Carolina has applied for admission to the Big East aka The Titanic Conference.

While you were asleep - the latest set of events unfolded.

The PAC12 has decided NOT to expand. For the time being, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Texas Tech will try to work things out in the Big12.

The Big12 and Big East merger talks are dead - for now.

Missouri and the SEC will happen - maybe as early as Thursday.

Big12 moving quickly after the PAC12 news. Big12 has sent an invite to BYU.

Louisville and West Virginia could be candidates for the Big12.

News of Notre Dame to the ACC is still not dead, but this one is anyone's guess. If it happens, Penn St. could follow - WOW!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.