• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NCAA Re-alignment

That's correct.

The thinking is that when all of the re-alignment in the major conferences is completed in the next five to ten years, ND would become a full member by then.

Also, ACC schools voted today to increase the exit fees from $20 mil to $50 mil. In other words, no one is leaving the conference and the ACC flexed their muscles once again. Getting ND in this first step is HUGE.

The 16th and final member sometime in the future probably comes down to UConn or Rutgers.

When all is said and done, the ACC will have a major presence in the Boston, Syracuse/Buffalo, NYC, DC, Raleigh/Durham/Charlotte/, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami, and Chicago TV markets.

Interesting development...

Looks like Maryland is leaving the ACC this week for the BIG10. Rutgers to the same conference too. More to come.

Maryland and Rutgers to Big Ten.

Tulane, ECU, SMU, Houston, and Central Florida to the Big East.

Old Dominion and UNC-Charlotte to C-USA.

Later today, we may learn of Louisville going to the ACC. Possibly UConn too. Outside chance for Cincinnati.

ACC is suing Maryland (and presumably Rutgers) for leaving. I wonder how messy this will get?

Rutgers is in the Big East, so the ACC can't sue them. Maryland is getting sued though - they must pay the $50 mil exit fee as per the rules and Maryland has said that the fee does not apply. It could get nasty, but a contract is a contract.

Also...

Lousiville is the newest member of the ACC - vote just came in a short time ago.

ACC is suing Maryland (and presumably Rutgers) for leaving. I wonder how messy this will get?

I thought they were suing bc Maryland doesn't want to pay the new exit fee (voted on last year; MD was one of two schools voting against it), not because they are leaving.

Ren, they are subject to the contracts as put forth by the conference. WVU had to pay the Big East a higher exit fee to leave early for the Big 12. Pitt and Syracuse had to pay a bigger fee to leave a year early for the ACC. Texas A&M and Missouri had to pay a fee to the Big 12 when they went to the SEC. Same for Utah and Colorado when they went to the Pac 12. That's life in the expansion world.

Maryland is going to pay - Big 10 will pony up some money for them. Swofford will see to it that the rules are enforced.

I stand corrected - just read headlines to be honest, didn't get much in depth. And BB, Rutgers/ACC was a brain fart on my part, thanks for correcting. :)

In this craziness of realignment, it was an easy mistake to make. The ACC was thinking about Rutgers for a long time and it has been talked about over the last year. It never came to fruition.

But some other interesting stuff could be happening. UConn and Cincinnati to the ACC is still on the table. And some strong rumors...

ACC could be ripped apart?...

- Virginia to the Big 10 or SEC?
- UNC to the Big 10 or SEC?
- Duke to the Big 10 or SEC?
- Ga. Tech to the Big 10 or SEC?
- FSU to the Big 12 or SEC?
- Clemson to the Big 12 or SEC?
- Miami to the Big 12 or SEC?
- Virginia Tech to the SEC?
- NC St. to the SEC?

Interesting stuff. Only time will tell.

I think the ACC is going to be ripped apart, but it depends on whether they can add the 3-4 teams that were rumored on the radio this morning (I forget which ones.)

That's why I couldn't understand the outrage by Maryland alums... to them it seemed like Maryland taking a large dump on their tradition or trying to change what kind of school they are (to try to be a football powerhouse), to me it seemed like a smart move on MD's part to be the first off a sinking ship.

I think in 6 months people are going to praise MD for recognizing the ship was sinking early and getting a place in a conference they wanted, instead of being one of the few left standing when the music stops trying to figure out what they're going to do in terms of sports and conferences...

It's not such a difficult decision when much of the departure fee is paid for by the owner of a large corporation in MD...

I heard that MD immediately started reinstating all the athletic programs they previously shut down after the switch was made, which makes it 100% worth it in my opinion.

I am not a college football fan, so pardon my ignorance....

Why would you leave the sunbelt for C-USA? I was under the impression the sunbelt, while not a top conference, wasn't a bad one?

Later today, the Big East will lose DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence Seton Hall, St. John’s and Villanova. All of them will vote to either leave the Big East or dissolve the league. They have the votes to do either one. More updates to come.

Maryland realized their mistake with those lawyers and pushed to settle today. Settlement was announced earlier. The ACC withholds nearly $32 million from the Terps and keeps all credits (worth a few million dollars). The ACC ends up owing Maryland $0.00.

Best wishes to Maryland in their new conference.

Just wanted to post a few items of note.

Congrats to Virginia Tech on demolishing Ohio St. on Saturday.

ACC was 11-0 against teams outside the conference on Saturday. SEC was 12-0. Big Ten had a bunch of losses including the Ohio St. game and Michigan being blanked by Notre Dame.

Penn St. had their sanctions lifted two years early by the NCAA and will be bowl eligible this year.

The ACC has a new grant of rights in place now until 2036 - no one is leaving and this new deal probably means that Notre Dame joins as a full member sometime within the next two decades. They also have a new digital network that will be operational soon. They will also have a new TV network in place starting in 2019. This allows the conference to have revenues on par with the SEC and Big10.

The Big12 will be expanding soon. They are likely to add four institutions. My best guess is the following:
1. BYU - the most obvious choice adds the Salt Lake and western markets.
2. Cincinnati - Adds a major metro market and a nearby partner for WVU.
3. Colorado St. - Adds a state flagship, Denver metro and other western markets.
4. Memphis - Adds a major metro market and a huge corporate backing (FedEx). Yes, they will chase the money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.