• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Looking back: 9/11 thread from the ES board

Hog Fever

Vescere bracis meis
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
I went back, as I've done almost every year, and re-read the thread from the ES board from the morning of September 11th. There are some familiar names in that thread. I can't believe I've been talking football with some of you bozos for more than 10 years.

Anyway, I can't say it's good to look back, but it's not something I want to bury either. Here's the link for any of you who might be interested.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?6144-Terrorist-news.&daysprune=-1

Anyone banned from ES, practically half the members here, won't be able to follow the link. It takes you to a page saying you have to be a registered member to view - likely since it is an archived thread.

Anyone banned from ES, practically half the members here, won't be able to follow the link. It takes you to a page saying you have to be a registered member to view - likely since it is an archived thread.

I didn't realize that. Sorry folks.

Half the members here were not banned from ES. You make it sound like this is a leper colony :) We do welcome the huddled masses, wretched refuse, and tempest tossed with open arms. But let's not get carried away.

Half the members here were not banned from ES. You make it sound like this is a leper colony :) We do welcome the huddled masses, wretched refuse, and tempest tossed with open arms. But let's not get carried away.
Ok, half is obviously an exaggeration, but there are some. Not that it matters, it's better here anyway :D

Completely off topic, but since you mentioned lepers I have some advice for the board. Never trust a 9 fingered proctologist with leprosy, and never pull a leper's finger when they ask you. It's always a trick.

I was in Harrisonburg on business on 9-11. Remember when I got back here I logged into ES for info and make sure my fellow Skins and non-skins fans were ok.

It still seems like yesterday.

Hog...thanks for the link. Was interesting to see some of the names again, which many are here now.

Good try

2.You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page

A couple people in that thread mentioned flights being diverted to Canada - if you haven't seen it, you should look for Tom Brokaw's story on Gander, a small Canadian town which welcomed hundreds of Americans whose flights were diverted there.

I was at my job at the hospital that day. One of my nurses had a sister who worked in the World Trade Center. She got out, but she watched the buildings collapse not knowing that. Pretty tough. Talk about patients being stressed out...

What can you say about 9/11? It changed all of us and everything. I've had many thoughts since then wondering if Bin Laden hasn't accomplished exactly what he was seeking to accomplish. He brought America to the brink of economic collapse. I like Bush (the man) and I think he did a courageous job in the days after 9/11. But the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan will be costing our children and their children for a century to come. We could and should have levelled both Bagdad and the Taliban. And then we should have come straight home with a promise to pay them another visit if they effed with us again. Yeah - I know all about geopolitics and protecting the oil reserves, concerns over Iranian ambitions, etc.. But we could've left a small force beyond to ensure Iran knew if they moved on Iraq, they'd be inviting war with the US. There was no need for an extended stay. Those decisions rival the Vietnam War for 'biggest strategic US blunder' in history.

We aren't very smart when it comes to our use of power.

Btw - where the hell was Henry getting his information that day? :)

Thanks for sharing E...you really can't even begin to grasp the damage done until you start looking at those faces, realizing they were merely 1/10th of the lives lost forever. The loss of a single human being to this kind of horrible act is bad enough - but what was done to us on 9/11 is almost incomprehensible. Think about how many lives beyond those killed were impacted. That awful day literally changed the course of the United States and our future.

I know there will be a lot of 9/11 stuff on TV tonight. I am always torn because I don't want to remember, but know I need to.

Btw - where the hell was Henry getting his information that day? :)

Yeeeeeeaah. Every time I see that thread (which is every Sept. 11th) I cringe a little because I was apparently the biggest purveyor of misinformation. :) Like I said in the thread, I was stuck in the production office of my paper, supposedly trying to work, and every couple minutes one of the sales reps huddled around the radio would poke his head in the door and give us another update. So I was relating third-hand information, which clearly was completely wrong.

I still can't believe my boss didn't send us home until 2:30pm. My wife was completely frantic. I did end up spending a lot of time on ES because of that ... I think about that a lot. That I basically spent 9/11 on a football messageboard. Not that it was a good thing or a bad thing ... just that it was.

I'm just having some fun with you Henry - which I know you know :) Thing is, the events of that day were so shocking, anything anyone said, in the media or otherwise, seemed plausible. I think that thread is a perfect representation (misinformation and all) of what we were all going through as events unfolded. What a wild, life-changing ride that day was.

That the most reasonable member of ES, BGO, or any other messageboard, was transfixed (and maybe even a little bewildered) by the events at hand, I don't think is at all surprising.

Has Patriot day become an official holiday? I am doing it regardless, but should we fly the flag at half mast?

Understood Boone.

I remember finally getting home and finding out that it was 'just' the WTC, Pentagon and flight 93 and almost being relieved. How messed up is that?

I think we all felt that feeling of relief. The reports of planes inbound to Congress and the White House were distressing (joking politics aside). Had the terrorists also been able to take out those targets, the psychological impact would have been even greater.

I probably shouldn't even have poked fun Henry, because we all would have believed anything we'd heard that day.

No I'm glad someone finally said it, because like I said I think about it every time that thread comes up but I've never had the chance to talk about it. It seemed weird bringing it up myself. :)

Only reason anyone wouldn't say it is because of your well-deserved reputation as the calmest, most level-headed, reasonable man (okay - Redskins fan) in America. The fact that you were swept up that day says it all. We were all lost that day.

Nothing more needs to be said on that topic.

I remember being home in the morning, getting some sort of strange premonition to turn on the TV and NOT watch Sportscenter (at this point, the coverage hadn't all been switched over yet), and turned on the Today Show or something, just in time to watch the plane hit the second tower. Unbelievable.

And Henry, I heard so much **** that day that was ultimately proved false it wasn't funny. Reporters were guessing and as confused as the rest of us.

But what I will always remember is being shocked that I had to go into work that day. We were photographing a small church in Hopewell, VA and they didn't cancel. I still can't believe it. And what was even weirder was that no one mentioned the events of the day. Not one person. It was like they were living in an alternate reality or something. Quite possibly the most surreal experience of my life. I was literally in tears half the night, and these strange people were acting like it was any other day. My co-workers and I rushed them through as fast as possible so we could go out to our cars and listen to the news reports. Bizarre experience.

And one of my favorite songs ever:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj9Fa6IFM8Q&ob=av3n[/media]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.