• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Press Release: Redskins to Honor 9/11 Victims

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE SEPTEMBER 4, 2011

GENERAL COLIN POWELL, FORMER U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE, TO SERVE AS REDSKINS’ HONORARY CAPTAIN WHEN REDSKINS HONOR VICTIMS OF 9/11

ASHBURN, VA. – The Washington Redskins announced today plans to honor victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 tragic events during the team’s regular season opener against the New York Giants at FedExField.

The game is being played on the 10-year anniversary of the attacks. Redskins’ players and fans will take time to remember the courage and resilience that followed the heartbreaking Sept. 11 events with special tributes at the stadium, on the field and on the video board during the game.

The Redskins have planned the following tributes:

• General Colin Powell, former U.S. Secretary of State, will serve as the Redskins’ honorary captain for the pregame coin toss.

• Approximately 150 family members affected by the terrorist attack on the Pentagon in Arlington, Va., as well as first responders from Arlington County will be honored pregame. They will stand alongside players from both teams in holding the American flag that covers the entire playing surface during the signing of “The Star Spangled Banner.”

• A Firefighter display from the Famous Madame Tussauds wax museum will be on the plaza outside the stadium and will show the immense amount of bravery that took place during the attacks.

• Patriotic spirit and pride will spread throughout the stadium when all Redskins fans in attendance receive American flags as they enter FedExField.

• Players, coaches and sideline personnel will wear honorary NFL 9/11 ribbon as a patch or pin on their uniforms and sideline apparel.

• The Club Level at FedExField will host an exhibit on loan from the Pro Football Hall of Fame, in Canton, Ohio, highlighting the Redskins’ and NFL’s continuing involvement and commitment with the United States Armed Forces.

• The Redskins, in addition to other NFL games featured at 4:15 PM, will present the NFL’s TAPS video message which includes images from Arlington National Cemetery, VA on the video board.

• Following a moment of silence and remembrance, platinum recording artist Ne-Yo will perform the national anthem.

• The NFL and NFL Players Association will contribute $1 million to three memorials and two charities related to the Sept. 11, 2001 events.

• The NFL and NFLPA will contribute $500,000 to the 9/11 Museum & Memorial in Lower Manhattan, and $250,000 to be divided between the Flight 93 National Memorial in Shanksville, Pa. and the Pentagon Memorial Fund.

(Courtesy of the Washington Redskins)

It's certainly going to be an emotional day for everybody - players, coaches, families, fans. I'm sure the NFL and the Redskins will do a top notch job in honouring 9/11. I can still remember Jon Gruden shedding tears on the sideline before the Raiders/Dolphins game during the first week that the NFL resumed games after the tragedy. I remember watching that game and fighting the tears as well. It was strange - the NFL served as an escape from the horror of the attacks you were exposed to on television, but at the same time it almost felt wrong to cheer during the games. Afterall, it was a football game and 9/11 was the tragic passing of fathers, mothers, friends, brothers, sisters, etc.

Win or lose this coming Sunday for the Redskins, at the end of the day, I hope to maintain a sense of perspective and remember that the outcome of a football game is not the end-all and be-all of life.

If I remain dry-eyed throughout the entire game, it'll be a minor miracle.
I was thinking the same thing. I watched the Bush interview on Nat Geo the other night for the first time, and was amazed I was able to make it through.

The only things I see wrong with this list are that I believe everyone should get a flag, not just our guys, and that just about anyone other than Ne-Yo should do the national anthem.

The only things I see wrong with this list are that I believe everyone should get a flag, not just our guys, and that just about anyone other than Ne-Yo should do the national anthem.

I'm quite sure everyone will get a flag...that was just the way that sentence was worded.

I'm quite sure everyone will get a flag...that was just the way that sentence was worded.

Vikings Monday night game 5 years ago on 9/11 they gave out flags. It broke my heart to see so many of those flags discarded on the ground after the game.

I still have a very hard time with this. I had a friend killed in the towers that day. I'm glad the Skins apparently are going to go about this the right way, I usually miss pre-game stuff, but I'll be front and center this time.

Ne-Yo has a good voice so if he sings it straight I'm OK with the choice. I have a strong feeling we're going to get an "artistic interpretation" of the National Anthem though.

Last edited:
Ne-Yo has a good voice so if he sings it straight I'm OK with the choice. I have a strong feeling we're going to get an "artistic interpretation" of the National Anthem though.

I with you a 100% on this one. Sing the national anthem the way it was written. This is not a song that needs an "artistic interpretation".

Me neither, Lanky. First time I saw it, I thought Neo was singing, and they mistyped it.

:)

I still have a very hard time with this. I had a friend killed in the towers that day. I'm glad the Skins apparently are going to go about this the right way, I usually miss pre-game stuff, but I'll be front and center this time.

CT....sad about your loss. I'll be thinking of you and your friend on Sunday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.