Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Default If You Have Satellite TV and Lose Reception During A Storm, Read This

We have DirecTV, and while we love it, we do have the problem of losing signal in heavy rain. We did ok during Irene, and it only flickered a few times, but the rain wasn't steady and came in waves.

I got to thinking that maybe it was the dish being covered in water that caused the disruption, so I came up with an idea.

We just had a thunderstorm move in from the south, and when the rain started, the signal dipped out immediately. I had a light bulb moment, and I grabbed a clear trash bag and a towel and went out to the dish. I have the good fortune of having it mounted on a pole next to my house, I don't recommend climbing a roof to try this....anyhow, I went outside, pulled the bag over the dish, stuck the towel inside to dry off the dish, and as soon as I came in, the signal was full strength.

Since then, it has rained harder for longer, in addition to lightning, and not so much as a flicker. I love those times when an idea works out exactly how you planned Maybe when I get the chance I will build a plexiglass box around it lol.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nah, that's not what causes it. I have DTV and i will lose the pic even before the rain starts. I have the HD package and most channels are HD and regular. What i do is just watch the regular channel. It doesn't need a strong of a signal. If you have a HD receiver and get HD just go into the options to show both channels(HD and regular) and they will show up on the guide.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

So if it's a fluke, what causes the signal loss? I've heard people claim it's thick clouds, hail, snow, etc. but I have only ever lost it from heavy rain or lightning.

If this was coincidental, the timing was insanely precise.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Snow will definitely cause you to lose your picture, especially if it gets built up on the dish. A strong storm system of any type rain/snow will cause it. It's just the perciptitation blocking the signal.

I've installed these before. The big ones and the little ones and have never heard of what you're talking about helping. Also, strong solar activity can cause you to lose picture. It's rare but can happen.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by Go Deep View Post
    Snow will definitely cause you to lose your picture, especially if it gets built up on the dish. A strong storm system of any type rain/snow will cause it. It's just the perciptitation blocking the signal.

I've installed these before. The big ones and the little ones and have never heard of what you're talking about helping. Also, strong solar activity can cause you to lose picture. It's rare but can happen.
    Honest question....how many people have you heard of doing it?
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Honest question....how many people have you heard of doing it?
    No one, but covering your dish with a clear bag seems(i don't really know) like it would do more to block the signal than help, but hey if it works keep doing it.

I just know on mine if a bad rain/snow storm is coming from the direction mine is pointed it will block the signal even before it gets here.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

Never heard of the bag trick, I was under the impression that the refraction of mositure in the air is the culprit of bad reception. Now, I have sprayed PAM on the dish before a snow to keep snow/ice from building up on the dish. Seems to work pretty well
    0 0 0 0

Formerly known as ...............Sarge