• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WT: ESPN's Jaworski: "With Beck, you can clearly see there's some upside."

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
The starting OL was on the field for I believe the entire first half. But I'm not sure how engaged they were. For the first time this preseason they didn't look in sync or coming off the ball hard. You hate to say it, but I kinda think they mailed it in a bit.

The starting OL was on the field for I believe the entire first half. But I'm not sure how engaged they were. For the first time this preseason they didn't look in sync or coming off the ball hard. You hate to say it, but I kinda think they mailed it in a bit.

you could see that in the pre-game shot of the team walking through the tunnel onto the field. it wasn't very energetic.

Mitigating factors for last night's lackluster performance can be reasonably said to include:
-lack of energy/enthusiasm along the offensive line
- a surrounding cast (backfield, receiving corps) that had less familiarity with one another than the personnel group which led the team to higher production in the previous 3 preseason contests
- a lack of emphasis on the running game which allowed the defense to defend the pass more easily
- the simple fact that it was the fourth and final preseason game.

Last edited:
you could see that in the pre-game shot of the team walking through the tunnel onto the field. it wasn't very energetic.
Hmmm ... this has me thinking two things:

1) I'm concerned that we will have consistency in a unit that is borderline improved over last year - we need to have better performance in the OL over 2010

2) Beck's poor showing last night could be a direct result of said poor OL performance in addition to the play calling and 2nd string WRs

Just a thought

2) Beck's poor showing last night could be a direct result of said poor OL performance in addition to the play calling and 2nd string WRs

Just a thought

I don't know, Beck had plenty of time on a few roll outs and they ran quite a number of them last night. Seems like they are getting the defensive line fooled every time giving Beck some time, but the receivers didn't seem like they were getting open as much. I think this could be a result of scouting by the Bucs or a lack of quality route running by the receivers. But the INT Beck threw in the end zone he had enough time to know not to throw that ball.

I keep hearing a lot of people fault Grossman for getting nervous in the pocket and making poor decisions, but I have seen Beck make the same mistakes with less pressure.

I keep hearing a lot of people fault Grossman for getting nervous in the pocket and making poor decisions, but I have seen Beck make the same mistakes with less pressure.
We might have to accept that neither Beck nor Grossman are really great QBs but are instead good enough for now.

We have to hope that we'll be in a position to nab one of the top 3 QBs in next year's draft. That plus interior OL should be the top priorities during the 2012 offseason.

We might have to accept that neither Beck nor Grossman are really great QBs but are instead good enough for now.

We have to hope that we'll be in a position to nab one of the top 3 QBs in next year's draft. That plus interior OL should be the top priorities during the 2012 offseason.

I am not even concerned much about the top 3 in next year's draft, just that one of these 2 QB's separate themselves from the other. If either of them did that, they would be more than serviceable in my mind.

Hmmm ... this has me thinking two things:

1) I'm concerned that we will have consistency in a unit that is borderline improved over last year - we need to have better performance in the OL over 2010

Just a thought

I have no way of knowing but my take on last night IRT Beck:

1) he flat out didn't play very well...that was obvious

2) he and the receivers were totally out of synch

3) as Joey T noted....KS was testing his pocket presence and it wasn't up to snuff versus his comfort level on bootlegs/rollouts

4) he...like the rest of the team...was flat

I am not even concerned much about the top 3 in next year's draft, just that one of these 2 QB's separate themselves from the other. If either of them did that, they would be more than serviceable in my mind.

El...does it strike you as the least bit odd that a SB QB can't adequately separate himself from a QB with 4 games NFL experience?

While I tend to agree, I think the difference is Beck knows he can make things happen scrambling, so he tends to move with less pressure at times. He racked up a fair number of rushing yards in college, so he's always ready to tuck and run.

While I tend to agree, I think the difference is Beck knows he can make things happen scrambling, so he tends to move with less pressure at times. He racked up a fair number of rushing yards in college, so he's always ready to tuck and run.

What concerns me is not that he scrambles too easy, although that is a concern, I am more concerned with the poor decisions he made with time last night.

What concerns me is not that he scrambles too easy, although that is a concern, I am more concerned with the poor decisions he made with time last night.

You're right, he did make some bad decisions with time, but I'm not as concerned. I look at Beck as I would look at any Rookie QB, which in essence, he is. If he had played in 30 or 40 regular season games, and was making those mistakes, I'd be seeing red rats.... He hasn't. He doesn't even have half a season under center. He'll either learn from his mistakes, or fail. We're always fast to excuse rookie mistakes early on, often for an entire season. QB doesn't seem to get the benefit of the doubt in this area. I think Beck is smart enough to learn from his mistakes.

Only time will tell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.