• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

SBN: Snyder Behind the Kelly Pick, not Cerrato

Lanky Livingston

dc.sbnation.com/2011/8/31/2395531/malcolm-kelly-cut-vinny-cerrato-daniel-snyder-2008-draft

How many other drafts did Snyder, not Vinny ruin?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Waitaminute. You're not advocating we hate Vinny less are you? Cause that's a bannable offense, in my book.

I'm saying Snyder could have been as much of a problem as Vinny.

I don't believe that Vinny Cerrato ever acted as the proper GM. At the same time I do believe that Cerrato and the front office set the table of the top prospects and picks and that is the list Snyder reviewed prior to and during the draft.

If there was any issue as to health of a top prospect evidently Cerrato was unable to influence the process enough to ensure a chronic injury ruled out a particular selection.

So he was simply a major domo and court jester at Redskins Park.

That hardly makes him look better in retrospect.

Just to rub salt in the wound...

Now that Malcolm Kelly is officially a former Redskin, I am reminded of that fateful day in April of 2008 when Vinny Cerrato and Daniel Snyder (with little Jim Zorn in the corner desperately trying to get a word in) orchestrated one of the worst drafts in team (and NFL) history.

Here’s a list of the guys selected:

Second Round (34): WR Devin Thomas

Second Round (48): TE Fred Davis

Second Round (51): WR Malcolm Kelly

Third Round (96): OL Chad Rinehart

Fourth Round (124): CB Justin Tryon

Sixth Round (168): P Durant Brooks

Sixth Round (180): S Kareem Moore

Sixth Round (186): QB Colt Brennan

Seventh Round: (242): DE/LB Rob Jackson

Seventh Round (249): S Chris Horton

This was Vinny Cerrato’s second to last draft as a Redskin executive, and his second worst “gift” to the organization. The worst being, of course, signing Albert Haynesworth to a $100 million contract.

Six of the players selected in 2008 are no longer with the team. Devin Thomas is a backup to the backups with the Giants. Malcolm Kelly’s out of work. Chad Rinehart and Justin Tryon have floated around, accomplishing nothing, and Durant Brooks and Colt Brennan our both out of the NFL.

The four remaining 2008 draftees haven’t exactly wowed us either. Fred Davis is talented, sure, but spending a second round pick on a backup tight end was the wrong move. It remains to be see whether or not he’s capable of consistently contributing.

Kareem Moore has had injury problems and is currently on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list, making him ineligible to play for the first six regular season games.

Rob Jackson has bounced back and fourth between defensive end and outside linebacker. He’s showed a couple flashes, but is certainly at risk of being included in the group of 27 players who will be cut on Saturday.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...one_the_2008_redskins_draft_revisited/6474304

Our original pick was 3 slots before Chris Johnson was drafted.

BT - I'm not trying to make Vinny look better, I'm trying to make Snyder look worse. :)

I think that's Lanky's point. Snyder had no business making any football related decision at all. Especially if he was ignoring injury or health related information. That's a no-no, and he should be held responsible for that.

Most definitely, my friend.

Obsessing over faults of the owner, is not.

I don't get that. I don't give a damn about what trees Snyder cuts down, or his lawsuits or whatever. But when he mipacts my team on the field? Not crazy about that.

None as far as I know. But then again I wouldn't have thought he had a much impact over pickng players three years ago either.

Get a life? Really?

The 2008 draft set this team back a minimum of 3 years, possibly longer. It is still effecting the on-field product today! We are still dealing with a lack of depth at critical positions due drafting incompetence. I understand the casual fan does not recognize this, but this board is not meant for the casual fan - its called burgundy & gold OBSESSION.

Also, you're welcome to avoid any thread that doesn't speak to you - comments like "Get a life" are a waste of everybody's time (mostly yours), and I speak confidently that they are definitely not the intended tenor of this board. Given the context of the comment as a post on a message board, the unintentional irony is also quite delicious. :)

C'mon fellas. BGO, remember? :cool:

Last edited:
I am looking forward, not backward - it's ugly back there. I don't know if that's good or bad, but that's what I'm doing.

Btw - on Snyder - I think he has done his fair share of meddling. Whether he's 'learned' not to do that, or just knows Shanahan won't put up with it - who knows?

I won't pretend to know what kind of guy Snyder really is. I've wanted to believe what Mike does for most of his tenure, but I've also seen enough to think his reputation as a cutthroat SOB isn't entirely undeserved.

Regardless...forward!

Yes. Get a life. Really.

And yes it is, burgundy and gold obsession.

Not, I'm So Completely Jealous of Dan Snyder I Fear My Head Will Bust, obsession.
Or, Let Me Add Yet ANOTHER Dan Snyder Is The Debil Thread, obsession.
Even a casual knows this. I myself have been a diehard since before some of you were knee high to your own ego. One thing is for sure, after the horse is dead, he doesn't feel the blows anymore. Self gratification, is continuing to beat it's only benefit.

While reflecting on the past is necessary, dwelling in it is quite useless. Most especially when trying to elevate ones own trivial contributions, by constantly pointing at flaws of those who have obviously achieved levels of success that they themselves will likely never broach. Even worse is when the target is such an easy mark. Through his own deeds, to be sure, but also through the ignorance of those who really don't know, but think they do.

And "get a life" obviously hit it's mark, generating a "Guilty as Charged" response, desperately disguised as an "I'm A Better Fan Than You".

That's fine. Others can fret, piss, and moan about a past, that fretting, pissing, and moaning, will do nothing to change. I'll worry about our game tonight. Root for the guys we have NOW, to play well, avoid injury, and move on to a successful future.

While I'm sure that Snyder shares in his mountainload of blame I can't help but think about how rigorously defended the Albert Haynesworth move and proclaimed he would do it all over again... and he said this, after the fact and seeing who Haynesworth was and what he did to the team, to the community, and how poor a prospect he really is.

So, Snyder probably was wrong, but his advisors... the guys he counted on to inform his opinions... boy, they can't even get it right with the advantage of hindsight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.