• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Shanahans have restored a Redskin tradition: The QB controversy

GSF

The Starter
Reaction score
All of the conversation about the Skins lately has been who's going to be the QB week 1. Kelli Johnson asked grilled whoever she could get in the post game interviews who was going to be the starter week 1.

I don't think this QB contraversy is going to be over week 1 by any means. No this has Doug Williams versus Jay Schroeder written all over it. In other words Rex and Beck could be alternating as starters all season. Here's why:

These 2 guy are almost polar opposites in their style of play, yet, they've both been quite effective so far in pre-season. Rex will stay in the pocket and make throws down field. He'll also force throws and make dumbs interceptions. Beck on the other hand is more mobile and very accurate with the shorter throws, but he seems to lack the ability to get the ball down field.

What the Redskins are going to have this season is the classic "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" situation. if Rex starts week 1 as believe he will, a lot of people will be screaming for Beck as soon as Rex throws one of his bonehead pics. OTOH, if Beck starts and teams stack the box and Beck is unable to take advantage downfield, the restless native will be calling for Rex.

Also, what happens if week 1 starter plays pretty well and then gets hurt in say week 5? If week 1 back up comes in and also plays well, what happens when week 1 starter is ready to come back.

This has all the makings of a season long qb contraversy, but maybe that's not such a bad thing. Maybe it motivates both guys to play well and gives the coaches 2 decent qbs to work with. Maybe things are exactly how Shanny has planned them. Just some food for thought...

Yeah its exactly what they wanted imo and not only has it turned into a controversy but it's also changed the story.

Before the big story was that we didn't have a QB and would suck on offense until we got one. Now everybody is debating which qb should start and most think that either one would be good. If they had just named Grossman the starter from the beginning all we'd be hearing is how he'd suck though, lol.

The restless natives will be a lot more unlikey to see all the open receivers that Beck can't get the ball to than the bonehead turnovers Grossman will make

The one observation I see is there is no actual indication that Beck can't get the ball down field, though so many say it here and on other boards.

I see Beck as the week 1 starter, and barring injury, never looking back. There will be no controversy by week 3.

If you go by the stats Beck is the clear winner. He has a better QB RTG, Comp. %, Yds per pass and 1st down %. The only problem is that he has half the attempts since he missed the 1st game.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...=PRE&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=false

If it was me, i would start Beck this last game. That's the only way Beck is going to get a fair comparison going against starters.

Imo, i just don't see how you start a guy who looks more prone to turn the ball over.(Rex) Now if he was lighting it up with TD's, then yea, but he hasn't done that. He only has 2 TD's compared to Beck's 1 TD with double the attempts.

I agree with Miles, i don't see how Beck lacks the ability to stretch the field compared to Rex, even though most agree with this statement. It's quite the opposite imo since Beck clearly has the best arm.

Imo, Beck has the better physical abiltiy(arm strangth, mobility and accuracy). Plus, he appears to stay at the same tempo at all times where as Rex appears to get hurried under pressure.

Everything screams Beck imo.

If you go by the stats Beck is the clear winner. He has a better QB RTG, Comp. %, Yds per pass and 1st down %. The only problem is that he has half the attempts since he missed the 1st game.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...=PRE&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=false

If it was me, i would start Beck this last game. That's the only way Beck is going to get a fair comparison going against starters.

Imo, i just don't see how you start a guy who looks more prone to turn the ball over.(Rex) Now if he was lighting it up with TD's, then yea, but he hasn't done that. He only has 2 TD's compared to Beck's 1 TD with double the attempts.

I agree with Miles, i don't see how Beck lacks the ability to stretch the field compared to Rex, even though most agree with this statement. It's quite the opposite imo since Beck clearly has the best arm.

Imo, Beck has the better physical abiltiy(arm strangth, mobility and accuracy). Plus, he appears to stay at the same tempo at all times where as Rex appears to get hurried under pressure.

agree.

but fear of the unknown has its followers!

If you go by the stats Beck is the clear winner. He has a better QB RTG, Comp. %, Yds per pass and 1st down %. The only problem is that he has half the attempts since he missed the 1st game...

Stats don't ever tell the whole story. Beck has never played in a Superbowl. Beck only has a few starts under his belt. Beck still hasn't really demonstrated that he can make all the throws.

There's nothing really screaming either guy or we wouldn't have a qb contraversy.

The one observation I see is there is no actual indication that Beck can't get the ball down field, though so many say it here and on other boards.

I see Beck as the week 1 starter, and barring injury, never looking back. There will be no controversy by week 3.

They are saying it because he hasn't shown that he can. The reports out of camp have been that he's been inaccurate with the long ball. The longest pass he's completed in preseason was the Armstrong play, and if that had been an accurate throw in would have been 6.

They are saying it because he hasn't shown that he can. The reports out of camp have been that he's been inaccurate with the long ball. The longest pass he's completed in preseason was the Armstrong play, and if that had been an accurate throw in would have been 6.

I've seen enough film from his days at BYU to say he can in my humble opinion. Nobody seems to want to give the guy a chance before they condemn his ability to make all the throws.

I've seen enough film from his days at BYU to say he can in my humble opinion. Nobody seems to want to give the guy a chance before they condemn his ability to make all the throws.

i'm not saying he can't make the throws, just that we don't know if he can. He hasn't shown it yet in the NFL.

Stats don't ever tell the whole story. Beck has never played in a Superbowl. Beck only has a few starts under his belt. Beck still hasn't really demonstrated that he can make all the throws.

There's nothing really screaming either guy or we wouldn't have a qb contraversy.

correction to make the comparison 100% accurate: Beck has never played in a SB and lost.

correction to make the comparison 100% accurate: Beck has never played in a SB and lost.
LOL, good one '62. Rex went 13-3 and took the Bears to the Superbowl. What has Beck accomplished?

I will say, Grossman looked downright ELITE in his 2-minute drive against the Ravens to end the first half. Beck looked pretty good also, but the sack he took was terrible, as was his wormburner to Moss on 3rd and 4.

Still can't decide who I'd rather have at QB...both are going to have their ups & downs, IMO.

One thing about Rex this preseason ... his elite moments--and there have been several--seem to have almost exclusively come on intermediate throws over the middle. Anyone seen a breakdown of his stats to the various quadrants this preseason?

1 for 5 on passes 0-7 yards (20%)
4 for 4 on passes 8-15 yards (100%)
3 for 7 on passes 16+ yards (43%)
(3 for 4, 75% if Moss caught the TD strike that hit him in the hands)

1 for 1 on passes over 20 yards (24-yarder to Moss for the TD).

LOL, good one '62. Rex went 13-3 and took the Bears to the Superbowl. What has Beck accomplished?

Grossman took the Bears to the SB...oooorrrrrrrrr.....the Bears defense and special teams took Grossman to the SB?

Thanks, LL. I probably should have been more specific on what I was getting at ... left and right vs middle. Seems to me I've seen precious little of Rex attacking the sidelines beyond that 0-7 yard range. Could be situational and/or playcalling, obviously ... but am a little curious about it.

Anyone else have the same overall impression? Has Rex attacked the intermediate middle almost exclusively?

Grossman took the Bears to the SB...oooorrrrrrrrr.....the Bears defense and special teams took Grossman to the SB?

Sure their defense and teams were great, but you don't get to the superbowl with at least some great play from your QB. Rex was super erattic that year, but when he was on he was red hot. He made some tremendous plays in the playoffs to get them to the SB. If Rex can cut down on the mistakes and hold on to the ball he can win a lot of games. Watch this video if you don't believe me:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c97c_2x88iU[/media]

What did Rex accomplish after 3 games in his rookie season.....

Last edited:
Neither guy is an elite QB but I think either one can be solid. Beck may have a little more "upside" considering his edge in athleticism and the fact that Rex has an extra year in the offense but Beck seems to have picked it up pretty quickly.

I have confidence either guy can win games for us. Not sure about getting us to the promised land but IF the supporting cast is there, we could have a shot down the road.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.