• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Can my rookie crush be a second year man?

burgold

The Pro Bowler
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Every offseason, someone emerges... usually, it's a UDFA, last year it was Armstrong who just catches my eye and makes me really, really want to root for them. This year though, the rookie who keeps catching my eye isn't a rookie.

Man, I'm rooting hard for Terrance Austin. The little receiver who was snubbed almost all of last season despite the fact that we could never find a third receiver. Put him on punts and he looks good. Throw a ball short and he makes a tough catch. Throw the ball away from him and he'll find it. You need some YAC. You need to stretch the field.

This guy isn't flashing. He's been a forest fire. He did it early in the game against the Steelers and he just hasn't stopped.

At the beginning of the offseason he was the forgotten man. We had Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong... then there was Stallworth and the two rookies and another vet who stayed here for a day and a half before deciding he was too good to compete.

Unheralded, seventh rounder, unwanted... last year's little man who wasn't Brandon Banks was on almost no one's list to make the team... I love guys who earn it.

So, this year, my rookie crush is a second year guy... Sorry Gomes, normally you'd be that guy (Kerrigan and Jenkins are disqualified because my rookie crushes have to be underdogs)

He's a pretty good choice. I think Royster would be the guy I would gravitate to normally, but they've been hiding him for some reason. My conspiratorial mind says they think he was too good during the Steelers, but still want him on the practice squad so they are trying to hide him.

I have to say that I liked what I saw out of Austin a year ago in the preseason when he was on the field. This year, he looks as though he's not really timid and is taking the bull by the horns so to speak. There's an opportunity in front of him and he's not letting it pass him by. He's a tough, shifty guy with good speed and I think there is always room for guys like him on football teams. I really think that overall, he's way more well-rounded than Brandon Banks - in fact there is no question about it, given what Terrence has been able to do in terms of contributing offensively. If I have one critique, it's that I personally think he occasionally falls into the trap of dancing a bit too much when returning punts. I've noticed it on a couple of returns, but maybe I'm off-base as well.

I don't see any way Banks and Austin are fighting for a spot anymore. Possibly Banks and Stallworth, but Austin has to have cemented his spot after the last three weeks.

Ya, no way they let Austin go at this point. Man's earned a spot.

As to the Helu/Royster thing ... not sure what I missed, but I was far more impressed with Helu than Royster. Evan seems like a nice enough RB, but I haven't seen any kind of explosion or escapability from him. Helu seems to find seems and hit 'em on a regular basis. Keeping an open mind though ... and kinda hoping we'll find a way to keep 'em both.

Being in Cali, I used to see Austin play for UCLA and have always liked him. I'd have to think he's locked a roster spot at this point.

Not sure what to do about Banks.....he's so one-dimensional, but damn, that's one hell of a dimension.

Love Helu....but, like others, have wondered where Royster disappeared to. Have to think they'll stash him on the practice squad or something. Can't believe that Torain will last the year...even running second string. Hightower has, at least in my mind, locked the starting job. He's just so right for this scheme.

Would love to see Sellers get cut and have them keep Darrel Young instead.

My gut tells me that Banks and now (sob) Jenkins go on IR. That opens up slots for Stallworth and maybe, as a project, Neild? Or, does he go practice squad?

By the way, I absolutely LOVE Keyaron Fox. He's all over the place. Has to get a slot.

I would be surprised to see Royster make the team at this point - the only explanation for him not playing is that they are stashing him on the PS w/ little film for others to see, but I doubt it. The scouting report on him was that he was a tough-nosed, between the tackles runner who lacked a 2nd gear to be an NFL running back. That's exactly what we saw against the Steelers - and just not enough to make the team (I don't believe).

Ya, no way they let Austin go at this point. Man's earned a spot.

As to the Helu/Royster thing ... not sure what I missed, but I was far more impressed with Helu than Royster. Evan seems like a nice enough RB, but I haven't seen any kind of explosion or escapability from him. Helu seems to find seems and hit 'em on a regular basis. Keeping an open mind though ... and kinda hoping we'll find a way to keep 'em both.

Royster reminded me of the Earnest Byner, Terry Allen kind of back. That back that shouldn't be nearly as good as he is. Royster doesn't have the measurables, but he seems to make plays.

Sometimes, finding someone who always gets on base is better than getting that homerun threat. That said, I really like Helu too, he's just not a candidate for rookie crush for some reason.

Rbs should be Hightower, Helu, Torrain FB young with Royster on Practice squad and I'm okay with that. I might even be okay with Hightower, Helu, and Royster... though I really liked Torrain last year. Torrain's also not a burner, but he plays with a tremendous amount of heart and power.

I with ya on the assessment of Austin. The young man has earned a spot on this team. I think what needs to be mentioned that hasn't is that Austin has made several 3rd and long conversions. That's huge. He is becoming that go to receiver.

As for Royster, been looking for his return since the solid outing against the Steelers. I am not sure I have ever seen a problem with a back that consistently churned off 5 yards a run. So he doesn't have the break away speed? Neither does Torain. He was still capable of getting out on the corner against the Steelers or run between the tackles. I like Helu a lot too, so I don't think it comes down to the 2 of them, but Torain? He can't stay on the field.

I'm on board the Austin train too. Dude has impressed pretty much every time he gets near the ball. I like Royster a lot too. I hope we're not planning to PS him. I'd much rather we let Torain go instead. Torain's a better player but he's just not durable enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.