• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Not to be negative but...

Skinsfan76

The Starter
Reaction score
Is anyone out there afraid that our mirage is about to end against Baltimore?

I have tried not to get to optimistic about the upcoming season but I'd be lying if I haven't bought into us a little bit.

What do you'll think?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I think we'll play them pretty close in the first half. I won't fret over a loss......unless it's a blowout.

fwiw, Vegas had the Skins as big favorites in each of our first two preseason games.

They have the Ravens favored by 5 1/2. So yeah, we'll probably lose this one.

Is anyone out there afraid that our mirage is about to end against Baltimore?

I have tried not to get to optimistic about the upcoming season but I'd be lying if I haven't bought into us a little bit.

What do you'll think?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I don't think we've been seeing a mirage, in that we've shown something different from what we've seen for years. There's a sense of "team" evident, and everybody on board with the system.

Don't know if we win or loose, and I'm not real concerned about that right now.

I think it boils down to how each of our opponents handle pre-season. Some teams are full vanilla, don't game plan much, and concentrate on individual matchups and player evaluations for their rookies/bubble players and contact/conditioning for their starters.

However, neither of the teams we have faced so far operate in the pre-season that way. Pittsburg does not take pre-season lightly but blew off the game's result. Indy is just not clicking at all and it showed.

If you wanted to go deeper, then just throw away the 2nd half of each game and see the results of our starters against their starters. In that I saw a clear advantage over both of these teams.

Finally, look at how the team as a whole is performing. There is cohesion, no distractions, people have learned the system (offense and defense) and each side of the ball looks sharp, youth and talent are starting to pour in, and our coaches are all proven winners.

Are we going to win the division? I don't think so. Are we going to do better than 6-10? Yeah. How much better? If I were to make a bet it would be 9-7/8-8. Even with that record I think we have a better chance of being in 3rd or 2nd place in our division than people give us credit for. Why?

1. Philly is going to take the Division based upon their continuity and increase in talent. Although they are this year's media darling "Dream Team" and trying to "buy a Super Bowl" which is what we were constantly being accused of, I think they will take it if they don't get too big for their shoes and become prima donnas, buy the hype too much, and expect everyone to just hand the division to them (See the Dallas Cowboys of last year). I think Philly is more fragile than people think; they are just as inclined to throw a shut out as they are to lay down a stinker. You can already see the pressure they are feeling to be perfect based upon their response to the spanking they got on their 2nd pre-season game. They could easily implode and drive Andy Reid straight to the all-you-can-eat buffet to wallow in his misery.

2. New York is down so far with injured players on the defense, which is supposed to be their strength, that I believe their success this year is going to come down to the offense; and Eli does not scare me a bit.

3. Dallas has, unless I am mistaken, lost more than it retained because they didn't have a lot of money after bringing in all those underperforming, overpriced prima donnas the last couple of years (sound familiar?) and are also learning a new defense. A new defense is almost never successful in its first year of implementation due to player/position inequities and the learning curve (see the Washington Redskins defense of last year) so their success is also going to hinge more on their offense than defense.

So, Super Bowl? No.
Division winner? No.
Vastly improved and out of the NFC East basement? Yes.

I'm never afraid of losing a pre-season game.

Me want Atogwe.

I'd rather he sits all 4 meaningless preseason games and gets healthy for the regular season, personally.
Not I brother.

Man has yet to play single a down with his new teammates in a new system. Not all that crazy about the first coming, by necessity, on opening day.

The Giants might agree with you, however. :cool4:

Not I brother.

Man has yet to play single a down with his new teammates in a new system. Not all that crazy about the first coming, by necessity, on opening day.

The Giants might agree with you, however. :cool4:

Eh, he's a 6-year veteran; he knows how to learn a defense. I agree that he will probably be a little rusty, but I'm not too worried about it. Better that than he re-injures himself because he played too early in preseason, no?

No. :)

It's not just him shedding offseason rust, it's also cohesion with his new teammates. Big part of safety play is coordinating with your corners....be nice to think the starting secondary had faced at least a few semi-live bullets (preseason, wot) before heading out into battle together for the first time.

We will have to agree to disagree - I want to see the man in the regular season, rather than catch a glimpse in preseason and have him get put back on the shelf til week 4 or 5. :)

gotta go with Lanky, I want him healthy not banged up all year playing hurt.

btw Skinzfan in actuality , its a myth that all defences take a year before they improve, in actuality most transitions either involved drastic or moderate improveent or they are failures and have a drop off.

As much as I hate the Ratbirds, I'd rather see us lose a close game that gives Shanny a reason to blow up. I'd much rather our guys not get complacent than win a preseason game.

I'd rather he sits all 4 meaningless preseason games and gets healthy for the regular season, personally.

Ha - if that was effective, then we'd be sitting ALL of our starters until the regular season. And if ANYONE needs the preseason is OJ. It's crucial that he 1) Gel with the rest of the secondary and create that chemistry. 2) Get familiar with the system 3) Get reps and contact 4) Get properly conditioned.

I'm all for letting an injured starter rest more than the minimum amount of time. It's a LONG frekking season, and the later games count more than the early. Of course, none of them may count for us... lol. I see 8-8 as a comfortable expectation.

Ha - if that was effective, then we'd be sitting ALL of our starters until the regular season. And if ANYONE needs the preseason is OJ. It's crucial that he 1) Gel with the rest of the secondary and create that chemistry. 2) Get familiar with the system 3) Get reps and contact 4) Get properly conditioned.

ALL of our starters aren't injured - if they are healthy, they should play. OJ is not healthy, he shouldn't play. That's all I'm saying here.

Who is the backup free safety to OJ? Is it Horton?

To be honest, all I've heard about the secondary is that our corners were getting burned deep vs Pitt, something I think having a good FS could help with. Other than that, I don't have a sense for how our backup safeties have been performing. I haven't been able to watch either game for myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.