• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RB Thread

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
With news today that Torain will probably miss the next two preseason games, I figure it is doubtful he makes the team. Seems like Hightower, Helu and Royster are looking solid (so far), and Torain needed the reps to stay on top of the competition. To a much lesser degree, I see Torain as another Kelly situation, in that he can't seem to stay healthy.

Anyway, figured we could discuss our RBs here.

I would be pretty shocked to see Torain cut. Yes, he isn't healthy, but Royster could be easily stashed on the PS to save room for him. PUP is another option - I just doubt he gets cut; he is a Shanahan guy!

I'm really lookin forward to seeing what Helu can do behind the starting line. By the time he got in last week, it was pretty much scrubs on scrubs on the lines.
We pretty much saw what we have in Hightower, so I think he should see less action this week, and get Helu on the field with the first team. It will make it much easier to gauge where he is in his development. Then let Royster get his snaps.

I tend to agree with Lanky. Normally availability is a huge factor in keeping or cutting a player, but after keeping Kelly, I think Torain is safe.

If Torain can't play until the last game, and the RB field look solid, why would they keep him? Given his history of injury problems, what's the point? Now, if Hightower, Helu and Royster don't look as good over the next 2 weeks, that's a completely different issue.

If Torain can't play until the last game, and the RB field look solid, why would they keep him? Given his history of injury problems, what's the point? Now, if Hightower, Helu and Royster don't look as good over the next 2 weeks, that's a completely different issue.

Because Torain >>> Royster from what we have seen so far.

As far as I can tell, Royster is pretty much a meat & potatoes, North to South kind of guy, without any breakaway speed. He's going to get you 3-5 yards, but that's about it. Torain is very similar, except he can break tackles. Royster didn't look like he had much of that in him, to be honest. I know its only one preseason game and its too early to judge, but Torain seems to have *it* whereas Royster is just sort of ordinary.

Plus, its not like Torain can't run - he's going to be running with the team and keeping in shape that way. He just can't take any contact on his wrist. If it was another leg injury, I might be more inclined to see it from your perspective - but no, I'm pretty certain his job is safe.

Torain can get the job done well enough as we saw, but we really don't need another Portis situation where he's hit and miss health wise. I would deal with it the way you say if it played out that way with the others playing well, but I'm not Shanahan.

If he'll keep Kelly, a perennial no show, it's not out of the question he keeps all four RB's.

Personally, I see Torain and Kelly being two different situations. While Torain has actually given us a longer stretch of games in which he produced positive results in terms of performance in the regular season, Kelly has barely even seen the field, and when on it, has done next to nothing.

I'd be way more inclined to keep Torain knowing that he has been fairly successful when it mattered on Sundays, as opposed to Kelly who has had nothing except make the fanbase and coaching staff wonder what he might actually do if ever healthy.

Essentially, I think you know what you got with Torain and with Kelly its pure speculation.

At the end of the day, I'd hate to see Torain be scooped up on another roster if let go, and wouldn't really blink an eye with Kelly due to a lack of real results and performance on gameday.

That was kind of the point. If Shanahan will keep a guy that has barely played, a guy that's actually produced is even more likely to be kept around.

It comes down to how well Royster and Helu perform in next 2 games. Where does all this leave Keiland Williams?

The injury issue presents a problem for Shanahan. Not just because of Kelly, but you got Banks out as well. Torain, Kelly, and Banks all have had problems staying healthy.

Trade Torain to Houston. They are hurting for RBs and we could pick up a 4th rounder.

Eh, it won't happen. But it's the thought that counts. :)

I would be pretty shocked to see Torain cut. Yes, he isn't healthy, but Royster could be easily stashed on the PS to save room for him. PUP is another option - I just doubt he gets cut; he is a Shanahan guy!

Somehow, I have the feeling some other team would take a stab at grabbing Royster if we stuck him on the PS.

Somehow, I have the feeling some other team would take a stab at grabbing Royster if we stuck him on the PS.

Yep. RB injuries happen a lot. I don't think Royster would last. So the question is, is Torain's upside (which might be greater than Royster's) worth his injury risk?

Tough call. Glad I'm not making it.

Do we keep 4? Keiland Williams looked solid the other night too.

Shanahan keeping Kelly for camp and the preseason isn't costing the team anything so I don't see that as a gauge on what he will do with Torain.

What Torain's injury does more than anything is solidify Hightower as the running back who will start against the Giants.

Helu is the only back with legitimate outside speed so I don't think Shanahan will cut him.

It comes down to Torain and Royster for that final RB slot.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Hey guys, I'm new to this site. Been "stalking" it for a while. Very impressed with the layout and,more importantly, the content.

In my opinion I agree that it comes down to Royster vs. Torain for that final RB spot. Looks like Darrel Young and Keiland Williams will be the FBs and Hightower the starting tailback. Helu gives you that gamebreaker that you give the ball to a few times a game. But he's not going to get workhorse carries.

So it comes down to will Torain be the one to spell Hightower for various stretches, or will it be Royster? Shanahan seems to like Torain a lot, but he can't be ignorant to the fact that he can't consistently stay healthy.

End of the day, I think they'll go with Torain and take their chances that no one will snatch Royster up from the practice squad

Hey guys, I'm new to this site. Been "stalking" it for a while. Very impressed with the layout and,more importantly, the content.

In my opinion I agree that it comes down to Royster vs. Torain for that final RB spot. Looks like Darrel Young and Keiland Williams will be the FBs and Hightower the starting tailback. Helu gives you that gamebreaker that you give the ball to a few times a game. But he's not going to get workhorse carries.

So it comes down to will Torain be the one to spell Hightower for various stretches, or will it be Royster? Shanahan seems to like Torain a lot, but he can't be ignorant to the fact that he can't consistently stay healthy.

End of the day, I think they'll go with Torain and take their chances that no one will snatch Royster up from the practice squad

welcome! tough call. As a PSU grad.....I'll vote "Present" !!!!

great first post! Welcome to the site...enjoy!

so you think we'll do a 1, 2 punch with Hightower getting most of the carries and Torrain cleaning up?

Thanks! Yeah, that's the impression I get

you know...it's great having conversations like this when there is REAL talent at stake!

I guess I'm not sure what you guys see in Royster that makes you so confident that he'll beat out Torain. Sure, he got a little over 4-yards a carry against the Steelers backups, but he showed no burst once he got past the 3-5 yard level. I'm not even sure he's as good as Rock Cartwright; even Rock had some speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.