• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bands You Never Admit You Like, Or Get Joked For Liking

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I have to start off by saying that I consider myself a true music connoisseur. You hear people all the time that claim to like all types of music, but then they only listen to a couple of genres. I have never said one type is good or bad, because I can appreciate true musical artistry in all forms if it sounds good, or it's creative and catchy.

To give an example of the vast assortment of stuff I listen to, here are some of the CDs I currently own and still listen to....

1. Goldfinger
2. Neil Young
3. Busta Rhymes
4. Michael Jackson
5. Il Volo
6. Adele
7. Mumford & Sons
8. Dropkick Murphys
9. Elton John
10. The Temptations
11. Eminem
12. The Eagles
13. The Cranberries
14. Andrea Bocelli
15. Johann Sebastian Bach
16. Dinosaur Jr.
17. Stevie Ray Vaughn
18. Peter Gabriel
19. Meatloaf
20. Procol Harum
21. Moby Grape
22. Johnny Cash
23. Roy Orbison
24. The Prodigy
25. Pepper

You get the general idea. I don't really know of any genre that I don't love music from. I have been to more concerts than just about everyone I know, and I just really love good music and a good show.

I have noticed though that I get teased a lot when people see some of the stuff I listen to. I don't let it bother me, because I like it, and opinions are what they are. Also, I know a lot of people own music they'd rather not admit to owning. Hell, I'll even be bold enough to admit that my daughter today played a Miley Cyrus song and a Selena Gomez song that I liked. I am not a fan of either one by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't mean I can't give credit where it's do.

So, fess up. What do you listen to that you normally wouldn't admit to for fear of people thinking you have a vagina or bad taste in music? :laugh:

*****EDIT*****
About 5 years ago, I saw a killer band on some channel at like 2am that I have been trying for years to find. I have no idea what their name is, but they were a Mexican/Latin rock band that was almost like a cross between early Metallica and Lynyrd Skynyrd. The main thing I remember other than the fact they were phenomenal, was that they put on a killer show, and they wore skull masks while they played. If anyone knows who this is, I would greatly appreciate their name :D

Last edited:
Well I'm an old man when it comes to music. I like stuff from the 70s and 80s and anything newer is wrong and scary and not real music. :)

I don't know if there's a band I listen to that I'm embarrassed about. There are plenty of songs, though. For example, I kind of like Vogue by Madonna even though I despise her. Stuff like that.

I guess if there's one band out there that I like that would put me on the wuss list it would be Five for Fighting. That stuff can be a little sappy but I like it anyway.

Well I'm an old man when it comes to music. I like stuff from the 70s and 80s and anything newer is wrong and scary and not real music. :)

I don't know if there's a band I listen to that I'm embarrassed about. There are plenty of songs, though. For example, I kind of like Vogue by Madonna even though I despise her. Stuff like that.

I guess if there's one band out there that I like that would put me on the wuss list it would be Five for Fighting. That stuff can be a little sappy but I like it anyway.
Superman is awesome :D I've been dogged for listening to them many times. Tal Bachman as well, for his similar style. If you like that stuff, you really need to check out Silversun Pickups. Some of the most mellow music around, and really genuinely good stuff. I was shocked when I found out the singer was a man, his voice is too um......unmanly I guess you'd say, but his voice is great for their music.

The Taco Singhaz? ;)

The Taco Singhaz? ;)
Interesting you say that. I posted the same question on Yahoo Answers, and got the exact same answer. Even spelled the same. I fail to believe this is a coincidence :laugh:

Joy Divison. Not really embarrassed by it, just don't want people to think I am suicidal. :laugh:

Dude. My 13 year old LOVES Paramore. Come on, man.

I love the Counting Crows and I know everyone thinks they're Emo too. Screw em.

I also have some Debbie Gibson on my iTunes.

I love Mellencamp and Counting Crows, and have been teased for both. Just like Mike, I have always been dubbed redneck strictly for being a Mellencamp fan. Meh, I am, so it doesn't bother me. As for the Crows, they can be wussy, I admit, but they still make killer music.

Anyone who claims they were never a fan of Mr. Jones when it came out is full of **** :laugh:

Mellencamp fans are rednecks? I've never heard that one before. Not a fan myself, but never considered anyone who was a redneck.

I think sometime in 1992 you could no longer admit to liking Frankie Goes to Hollywood. I just told everyone to relax.

Everyone makes fun of my actual appreciation for Katie Perry's hits. Obviously, she's a bombshell, so that's +1. But some of those songs are incredible hooks.

not hard to see why.

farm aid, midwestern boy, sings about small town stuff. pretty easy to see why people think that.

I guess all I really know about Mellencamp is that he sings that one song about America that was played 10 zillion times on that Ford commercial or whatever it was.

Everyone makes fun of my actual appreciation for Katie Perry's hits. Obviously, she's a bombshell, so that's +1. But some of those songs are incredible hooks.
I'm not ashamed to admit I like Firework, and California Girls is just catchy as ****.

I even heard a song the other day for the first time that was really good. I was thinking damn, this girl can sing. Then they said it was Lady GaGa. I proceeded to turn off the radio and visualize stabbing myself in the ear with a rusty screwdriver. Never before had I felt like kicking my own ass so badly.

Totally rockin' out to "Iris" by the Goo-Goo Dolls. My 13 year old is mocking me, both for their name and the song.

Mellencamp - 'Scarecrow' album = great...

I like a lot of music that would put my man-card in danger.

Plain White T's for example...

I like a lot of music that would put my man-card in danger.

Plain White T's for example...
I have a great memory about the song Delilah. When it was real big, I went out to karaoke on a night that they actually allowed you to sing whatever lyrics you wanted to a song. Completely improv, and one of my most epic karaoke moments ever was when I got up there drunk off my ass and proceeded to sing "Hey there vagina....." About halfway through I was laughing so hard and so drunk that I forgot what song I was singing :laugh:

Watching Bon Jovi Unplugged. My daughters keep telling me he's old and ewwwwww. Whatever. Jon Bon rocks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.