• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Does Lorenzo Alexander Make This Team?

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
In the past Alexander would be listed at multiple positions on the roster and in part that guaranteed that he made the final 53 despite never being a consistent starter at any given spot. Alexander is a team first guy and a hard worker. He has to be smart to have learned 3 or 4 positions and then re-learn them in yet another system.

But the move to inside linebacker in the 3-4 this year is a bit different. Last year the team simply had no players on the outside other than Brian Orakpo and he was a second year player learning a new system. Andre Carter was a disaster there and Alexander took over for him mid-season when no one else was available.

In 2011, the team has a year of the 3-4 under its belt. Fletcher is back. McIntosh is now back and was given a $1.5M guarantee for the season. Keyaron Fox was acquired in free agency from Pittsburgh to reunite with his old position coach, Lou Spanos. Then you have holdover #4 pick Perry Riley from 2010, who may not quite be ready to start in the NFL but whom the coaching staff is sure to give more than a single season (especially with no succeeding offseason) to prove himself.

That’s four inside linebackers. I don’t know how many the Redskins are looking to carry for 16 weeks, but it appears as if Alexander might just not have a chair once the music stops. Of course, there is the thought that Alexander outplays the other inside backers next to Fletcher and earns a starting job through the preseason. But if the coaches were seeing that kind of ability at that position flash before them, the team would have been unlikely to resign McIntosh and give him $1.5M in guarantees or bring in Fox.

We shall see. But the departure of a player like Alexander, if it happens, will be a whole lot different in terms of feel than the recent departures of many other players from the team under Mike Shanahan. Players that were too old, too injured or too disruptive to be kept on a team looking to move ahead. Alexander IS the type of player in terms of work ethic and temperament that the team is looking for. In a way it’s just a shame a guy like Lorenzo might get caught in the squeeze.

Absolutely. I'd bet my house on it. Coaching staff loves him, and he's super-versatile.

what other position does he play in the 3-4?

with the 4-3 he was a DE and could swing inside at DT if needed. he was also listed as a backup guard in the past but hasn't received any work on the OL under Chris Foerster.

The other viewpoint: Alexander provides depth at 3 to 4 positions, plus he's a special teams ace. He can play OLB, DE, learning ILB, and could probably play NT in a pinch. Not to mention he started out as an O-lineman, so he can play there, not to mention TE in jumbo packages.

You have some good posts, BT, but this time you've missed the mark by quite a bit.

what other position does he play in the 3-4?

with the 4-3 he was a DE and could swing inside at DT if needed. he was also listed as a backup guard in the past but hasn't received any work on the OL under Chris Foerster.

He can play all over the front 7 in the 3-4.

Alexander is 6'2 and 279. I don't see him at NT or DE in the 3-4 except in an extreme emergency. Even then the team would probably sign a veteran free agent to fill in for the balance of the season.

Don't get me wrong. I hope Alexander does beat out one of the other linebackers to earn a roster spot. But I think this year THAT is what he is going to have to do. I don't think special teams and being a #5 tight end as a blocker is going to do it.

#5 TE? You're assuming Sellers makes the team?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Okay, #4 TE.

No, I think Sellers at 36 will be a cut.

Fletcher, Riley, Kerrigan, Orakpo, Carriker, Cofield, Bryant breathe starting front 7 I'd imagine. I expect them to carry at least 7 guys, maybe as many as 9 to rotate in/back them up. Jenkins & Rocky Mac are likely safe - can you name 5-7 more guys that will definitely beat Zo out?

Bowen is likely safe also, so 4-6 more guys. On the roster:

54 Blades, Horatio LB 5-10 242 26 4 Pittsburgh
92 Ezeh, Obi LB 6-2 244 23 R Michigan
59 Fletcher, London LB 5-10 245 36 13 St. Francis (PA)
53 Fox, Keyaron LB 6-3 235 29 8 Georgia Tech
50 Jackson, Rob LB 6-4 255 25 2 Kansas State
55 Jones, Edgar LB 6-3 262 26 5 Southeast Missouri State
91 Kerrigan, Ryan LB 6-4 267 22 R Purdue
58 McBride, Eric LB 6-2 231 23 R Richmond
52 McIntosh, Rocky LB 6-2 242 28 5 Miami (Fla.)
6 Riley, Perry LB 6-0 242 23 1 LSU
57 White, Markus LB 6-3 266 23 R Florida State
76 Bryant, Anthony DT 6-3 360 29 4 Alabama
69 Weaver, Thomas DT 6-1 305 22 R Villanova
0 Worthington, Doug DT 6-5 292 24 1 Ohio State
72 Bowen, Stephen DE 6-5 306 27 6 Hofstra
94 Carriker, Adam DE 6-6 315 27 4 Nebraska
64 Golston, Kedric DE 6-4 310 28 5 Georgia
99 Jenkins, Jarvis DE 6-4 310 23 R Clemson
93 Scott, Darrion DE 6-3 310 29 5 Ohio State
62 Stehle, Jeff DE 6-6 291 24 1 Wisconsin
96 Cofield, Barry NT 6-4 306 27 6 Northwestern
66 Neild, Chris NT 6-2 319 23 R West Virginia

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexander will make it because he can provide depth at so many other positions. For some reason if he is cut it won't take him long to find work.

He better!

This is the epitome of the kind of guy that Shannahan is looking for and wants. A hard worker, an effort guy, and a guy who always does better than he should.

Is this a trick question or something? I mean, is Lorne Green? Is Marvin Gaye? Is Shirley Temple Black? Is Barry White? :)

Seriously, he is a mainstay on this team and is way too valuable because of his versatility.

I think you have to find room for a guy like this on the squad. No question. He exemplifies hard work and character. Everybody respects a guy like this. He does his job, does it well, and does not complain.

I would compare him to Mike Vrabel and Troy Brown of the Pats. Not that he plays the same positions, just that he is very valuable in many situations. Guys like this need to make the team. These two were never superstars, but they did their job and everyone knew it. Part of the reason everyone knew of these two was because the Pats were winners.

If the Skins were winners, fans would know Lorenzo's name as well.

Nah, no criticism implied, Lanky, just a wry observation on your using an interesting tactic. :)

there should have been an apostrophe, thanks tips. no he cannot play effectively on the line in a 3-4 , he is not that sort of player otherwise they wouldnt have told him to drop weight and play Linebacker. I love the guy, he is versatile and does whatever he is asked, but he is not an elite talent, just a versatile guy who isnt quite good enough to start in more than spurts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.