• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Training Camp Tidbits

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date

Lanky Livingston

Some tidbits from training camp, for those of you not on Twitter. Will try to post general observations, not play-by-play stuff (for play-by-play, follow @NFLSkins & @_JakeRussell, great stuff):

Ed Sheahin (@NFLSkins):
"Rookie LB Ryan Kerrigan has gone from a leg sleeve to a knee brace. He's in helmet and pads, but it doesn't look like he'll practice."

"Watching Hankerson catch passes is like watching Picasso paint. Its art at work. For the record I never watched Picasso paint."

"Kelly is out there for what I believe is a record 4 straight practices now (not joking). He has to stay healthy for 4 weeks."

"Gaffney's gain may me Armstrong's loss. Beck and Gaffney have been on the same page, AA and Beck aren't in sync yet."

Chris Russell (@Russellmania980):
"Anthony Armstrong was stand out last year from start to finish, this year, early on way too many drops. Just had another easy one"

Grant Paulsen (@granthpaulsen):
"New additions Tim Hightower and Shayne Graham are at #Redskins Park watching practice today."

Rich Campbell (@Rich_Campbell):
"The first string defensive line is consistently beating the top OL group at the line of scrimmage"
"Perry Riley just deflected a pass on a crossing route over middle, liking what I see out of @pr56. Sellers with a drop."

Lots of comments about how sparse training camp is this year. Are people pissed about the lockout? Or is it the extreme heat keeping them away? I'd say a combination of both - on a normal year, they'd be out there, heat or not.

@Redskins:

"Rookie DL Jarvis Jenkins had great pressure up the middle, forcing QB John Beck to scramble. Beck found a hole and raced upfield."

Lots of praise for this kid so far. Hopefully its not because he's playing our JV line, and he's actually a beast. Here's to hoping Ryman is wrong about him!

LOL, but then this right after:

"On a run to the right, LT Trent Williams bowled over Jarvis Jenkins, helping open a hole for RB Evan Royster."

Then this:

"Jarvis Jenkins continues to impress, getting a strong push up the middle and slowing a run by Ryan Torain."

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like training camp attendance is down league-wide, not just in Ashburn.

Rich Campbell on Jenkins:
"It's early and the pads aren't out yet, but I've yet to see a Redskins o-lineman stop Jarvis Jenkins & his combo of strength, speed & length"

Looks like Darion Scott could be getting some reps in at NT:
"Darrion Scott looked especially good in the D-line vs. O-line drills, getting a strong push. Scott appears to be playing some nose tackle."

Lots of comments about how sparse training camp is this year. Are people pissed about the lockout? Or is it the extreme heat keeping them away? I'd say a combination of both - on a normal year, they'd be out there, heat or not.

I was headed down this morning but the brakes on my truck went out last night. UGH! Change your brake pads gentlemen! Because of it I will not be contributing images this year. :tantrum:

More on Jenkins from John Keim:
"More I see, more I like jarvis jenkins. Anxious to see in pads."

@SkyKerstein:

"#Redskins @RyanKerrigan94 says he's feeling better, ran on a treadmill yesterday, did more stuff today with brace instead of sleeve"

"#Redskins @RyanKerrigan94 says there is still no timetable"

More on Jenkins, from Grant Paulsen:

"I was very impressed with rookie DL Jarvis Jenkins today. He is strong and quick. Nice prospect from what he's shown so far."

"Shanahan on Kerrigan: Probably 2 or 3 days before he is full speed. Said that they are being more cautious than is typical."

Albert Breer:
"I asked Skins OLB Brian Orakpo about trailing East rivals in headlines. Good, he said, "I hope we're the most boringest team in the league.""

Albert Breer:
"I asked Skins OLB Brian Orakpo about trailing East rivals in headlines. Good, he said, "I hope we're the most boringest team in the league.""

Yeah, I can only imagine how this kid feels about the drama of his first 2 seasons with Haynesworth. He seems like someone who just wants to play football!

Yeah, I can only imagine how this kid feels about the drama of his first 2 seasons with Haynesworth. He seems like someone who just wants to play football!

First time since high school he's had the same DC two years in a row!

A couple beat reporters do a "5 Quickies From TC" feature, Ryan O'Hallaran and Grant Paulsen. Here they are:

Grant Paulsen:
1. Rex Grossman has agreed to terms with the Redskins and will re-join the team later tonight.

2. Phillip Buchanon, re-added yesterday, will serve a four-game suspension. It’s unknown why the league-issued suspension was handed down.

3. Shanahan said that rookie DL Jarvis Jenkins has been very impressive and complimented his work ethic and upside.

4. Tim Hightower won’t be practicing before Thursday. Even though he was acquired via trade, he had re-signed as a restricted FA with AZ.

5. Ryan Kerrigan is 2 to 3 days away from being full-speed. #Redskins being cautious.

Ryan O'Halloran
5. #Redskins Fever hasn't gripped area just yet. This is Year 8 of covering this madness and last two days by far smallest crowds for camp.

4. Shanahan said Beck had a sore arm today. "I could tell. He didn't quite have the zip he normally does."

3. S Kareem Moore (knee) said he hopes to return within the next week but doesn't expect to play in preseason opener.

2. Hightower watched practice but not eligible like rest of newbies until Thursday. Even if Rex signs tonight, same deal.

1. Buchanon (suspension) eligible to return Oct. 16 vs. Philadelphia.

Seems the staff is high on Russell Anderson, and with Kareem Moore's injuries plus poor play last season I don't think it looks good for him making it further than final cuts.

Love what I am hearing about Hankerson. I believe he'll turn out to be our best pick in this draft.

And thanks for the updates.

Nice finds guys, where is Jenkins playing at? if we use him at the 5 tech and let him go upfield he could end up being solid, my worry is that we will expect him to clog the middle at NT. either way I hope I am wrong about him, he works hard and is a great kid according to most reports.

Nice finds guys, where is Jenkins playing at? if we use him at the 5 tech and let him go upfield he could end up being solid, my worry is that we will expect him to clog the middle at NT. either way I hope I am wrong about him, he works hard and is a great kid according to most reports.

I think they've been playing him at DE, not NT in practice. But its still early, I'm sure he'll be moved around to find the best fit.

Something from the Eagles camp:

"Eagles DT Mike Patterson just went down in what appears a very scary injury. Players huddled."

Man, hate to hear about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.