• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

DC Examiner: Redskins notes, Aug. 1

BGO

John Keim

1. The Redskins will bring in free agent place kicker Shayne Graham to compete with Graham Gano. That’s not a surprise considering Gano made just 24 of 35 field goals last season. His kickoffs are solid, but the majority of his paycheck comes from an ability to make kicks. And a career percentage of 71.8 isn’t getting it done in the modern era where 80 percent is only OK. In fact, Gano’s .686 percentage last season was the worst of any kicker with more than four attempts. Oh, and Graham is an 86 percent career kicker. That’s third best all-time behind Nate Kaeding and Mike Vanderjagt, who are tied for first. Gano and Graham – confusing, right? – hung out together this offseason.

2. For what it’s worth, I remember covering a state playoff game years ago in which Shayne Graham made a game-winning field goal to beat Robinson. Graham was a freshman at the time and looked like a sixth grader. In fact, when I saw him on the field after the game I assumed it was someone’s little brother dressed up in a football outfit.

3. Defensive end Vonnie Holliday said via text that he will report to Arizona as part of a trade for running back Tim Hightower. Had he retired, the Redskins understanding is that the trade still would have been a done deal. There is a buyer beware element to any trade. Meanwhile, Hightower is expected to be in Ashburn later this afternoon.

4. Coach Mike Shanahan said he’s not surprised that free agent Rex Grossman hasn’t re-signed yet. Grossman can’t practice until Thursday, but he would be able to sit in on meetings and be on the sidelines during practice. Grossman told ESPN 980 that, although a deal isn’t done, he’s optimistic that it will get done this week. Seems smart; if you want to compete for a starting job you might want to, you know, get into camp.

5. Still waiting to hear what happens to players such as Kedric Golston, Chris Wilson and Reed Doughty. From what I’ve heard, the Redskins have offered Wilson a new contract, but, like Golston, he wants to be somewhere he’s going to play. Golston would be the fourth end at best in this front and Wilson will have a tough time getting on the field as well. The coaches would like Doughty back; they say he can still help -- especially with LaRon Landry's Achilles still bothering him.

6. Landry says he’ll be back by the opener, and Shanahan said, “He’s by no means 100 percent. But the game plan is to get him 100 percent by the first game.” Not sure if this is cause for concern yet or not. But it definitely bears watching.

7. Shanahan on what the Hightower trade means for Ryan Torain, “Competition. What Tim’s done over the last three years speaks for itself. What Ryan’s done speaks for itself. Ryan has some competition. He hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Tim is a back who can do it all, run, pass protect, he’s a third down back. I feel very good about him.”

8. Receivers coach Keenan McCardell said he sees the Brandon Banks pre-knee injury this summer. “He’s healthy now. You can see the suddenness, you can see the speed. A lot of people forget how fast he was because he was playing banged-up last year.”

9. Darrion Scott changed his number to 93, previously worn by Phil Daniels. They gave No. 92 to undrafted free agent linebacker Obie Ezah.

10. The NFL Network reported that linebacker Lofa Tatupu and corner Kelvin Hayden will visit the Redskins later this week. Tatupu was cut by Seattle the other day; here’s a good take on his situation. Suffice to say, injuries have caused his play to go down the past couple years. And I remember talking to Redskins defenders a few years ago who were upset that he made the Pro Bowl over London Fletcher. Didn’t think it was warranted. Hayden was cut by the Colts recently; he never lived up to a big contract. His agent, by the way? Fletcher Smith. Yes, that's the same one who represents Donovan McNabb. And who torched the organization.

Follow me on Twitter @John_Keim

More...

I wondered about that when we drafted a tweener lb /safety late and I wondered when he was put on the pup list, I think his injury last year was more severe than they let on. a bad achilles strain, would have been more than healed by now, a tear however is different it could still be bothering him badly. I am not exactly trusting this regime lol.

I would be interested to see what Lofa Tatupu would bring to the table. Would love to see a workout from him to see if its physical or mental that has caused his play to go down.

3 out of 6 years a Pro Bowler and while that doesn't carry the weight it used to, I would be curious to see what coming on this young team with a leader like London would bring out of him.

I don't know, but happy we are at least looking at him. Kicking the tires never hurt.

I would be interested to see what Lofa Tatupu would bring to the table. Would love to see a workout from him to see if its physical or mental that has caused his play to go down.

I have to believe it has something to do with the drop off of the team as a whole, unless there are injuries we don't know about.

didnt he have 2 knee surgeries this off season?

and hes never been in a 3-4 before...

Yup. After further review, I saw that he apparently had 2 surgeries this off-season.

I say skip the ILB position and let Riley, Alexander and maybe someone battle it out. Use that money to sign a G to compete with Lichtensteiger.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I think Golston, Wilson, and Doughty are all hard working character guys. Unfortunately, i think we've upgraged at all of thier positions, even from a depth perspectived. Its just time to move on.

6. Landry says he’ll be back by the opener, and Shanahan said, “He’s by no means 100 percent. But the game plan is to get him 100 percent by the first game.” Not sure if this is cause for concern yet or not. But it definitely bears watching.

I can't help but wonder if this is a possible effect of using steroids, then quitting, then an athlete's body falling apart, ala Sosa and so many others.

I hope not....but he definitely got jacked quickly.

laron was juicing?

I've never heard anything about that. But here's what we do know:

1. Santana was treated by the canadian doctor who brought in HGH and roids into this country. That doesn't mean anything, except I'm sure Laron could have access to steroids if he wanted it.

2. He got insanely jacked a year ago. He came into last camp looking visibly ripped compared to mths prior.

3. He definitely has a "hot attitude" at times, hitting people out of bounds, etc.

4. After athletes quit roids, their bodies often break down, and they can't recover as quickly from injury.

I hope it's not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

You are right. There's nothing at all to substantiate any of it. I just can't believe how ripped he got, and how quickly he got there.

Then this injury, which has lingered a very long time. They have access to the best doctors and trainers, unlike me, for instance. This certainly seems to be lasting longer than I would like.

And yes, they test. But there are ways to get around some of those tests. And of course some get caught.

To be fair, I also got ripped insanely quickly.

*editor's note: Goaldeje means he got a 12-pack or case very quickly, fyi. Embarassingly close to a keg, really.

OK, but if Santan is the link why isnt Portis all jacked up? they're much better friends than Moss and Landry.

Portis said a while ago he did't work out much with weights, certainly not like other guys. His case, it may have been more recovery (assuming he was using).

Nick

I hope not....but he definitely got jacked quickly.

2. He got insanely jacked a year ago. He came into last camp looking visibly ripped compared to mths prior.

I have to correct you here - Landry has always been insanely jacked, ever since his LSU days (probably since high school).

the roid testing the league does is a joke, the truth is that almost all elite level athletes use roids or performance enhancing drugs of some sort. Its incredibly easy to use, and until very recently they didnt even test for the most effective one, HGH.

I have to correct you here - Landry has always been insanely jacked, ever since his LSU days (probably since high school).

I have to agree here. I saw him in the locker room in 09, and he was a monster then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.