• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dear Redskins

Oline, Linebacker, cornerback. I would say QB but there arent any good ones. all this talk about how we are improving is moot if we dont sign at least 2 of each of these still.

Just got home and haven't read much here, but I have to ask Ryan... Do you like the Coefield signing?

I don't dislike it, and im starting to sound like a broken record but if we were running a 4-3 I would love it.

Lanky, I am inclined to agree, but Carlos> Hall and unless we find someone who can bump hall to nickel corner I dont see the minor upgrade of Wilson over Rogers as something thats gonna put this crapulent D over the top, especially with no decent ILB's or a NT

I should be clear as well, if Cofield is here to be the aaron smith type DE I like the signing, if they are gonna try him at nose, then I do NOT like the signing, he isnt a stand at the point guy either, he played really well for the giants when he was allowed to get upfield.

Ry.....agree that D continues to be a work in progress. It has..at least on paper....gotten better. but it's still hard to see how the pieces add up to a coherent, meshed group of complementary skills/talents for the 3-4 that can compete with the best offenses in the league. like the O....couple more drafts needed to really get the required talent on-board...too much on this D is pasted replacement parts.

Last year the defense fell off dramatically after LaRon Landry was lost to injury. Going to be fun to watch what Hazlett does differently out of the gate this year with a healthy LL, Rak, Karrigan, Atogwe ... etc.

Based purely on what I observed last year and the pieces we've added to date this year, it "feels" to me, as of this morning anyway, that we're one competent NT away from fielding a potentially competitive defense. Biggest question mark I see and will be watching closely as we approach opening day is who steps up and claims that position.

Oline, Linebacker, cornerback. I would say QB but there arent any good ones. all this talk about how we are improving is moot if we dont sign at least 2 of each of these still.

Ryman, I take it you are not a fan of the idea of moving Alexander inside next to Fletch? How about Henson? He showed a lot of progress last year in pre-season before he was injured and lost for the year. Kerrigan obviously is the fav to pick up the OLB spot opposite Rak. Seems a solid bunch to me...

Don't get me started on the OLine though. I am right there with you. Seems we are only releasing guys, not signing guys there. Not sure what the plan is but I would like to see something on that side that at least hints there might be a plan.

The Wilson signing helps with the CB spot but I agree we need at least one more and that is assuming Barnes can hold down the 4th spot.

Jonathan Joseph still out there, Nate Clements was released by San Fran, Antonio Cromartie still available...there are some names out there on the CB front.

OL isn't on your list?

I know things have been moving fast these past couple days. Did we shore up the line while I was sleeping?

EDIT: Nevermind. It's the first one. I need more coffee. :)

Last year the defense fell off dramatically after LaRon Landry was lost to injury. Going to be fun to watch what Hazlett does differently out of the gate this year with a healthy LL, Rak, Karrigan, Atogwe ... etc.

Based purely on what I observed last year and the pieces we've added to date this year, it "feels" to me, as of this morning anyway, that we're one competent NT away from fielding a potentially competitive defense. Biggest question mark I see and will be watching closely as we approach opening day is who steps up and claims that position.

I see where you are coming from....I guess my uncertainty is that aside from Rak, Ker and LL.....no one on this defense is home grown! The ole question about do you build principally thru the draft or FA/trades. ehhh...can't be any worse than last year......they're making the best of the options available to implement major talent changes.

The "homegrown" notion, to me anyway, is an anachronism in the NFL. You win big in this era by having an overall personnel plan that includes the draft, free agency and trades all working in sync ... sprinkled with a little magic dust in the form of a big-time QB ... to turn a competitive team into a true contender.

Nate Clements?

There's a reason SF is in the market for corners. Clements was overpaid from the beginning but is now past his prime. Why would we want him here?

Aren't we in the process of releasing veteran players in the same circumstance as
Clements finds himself?

Overall, let's judge free agency when we start to hit that third preseason game and we know what the final roster is going to look like.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The "homegrown" notion, to me anyway, is an anachronism in the NFL. You win big in this era by having an overall personnel plan that includes the draft, free agency and trades all working in sync ... sprinkled with a little magic dust in the form of a big-time QB ... to turn a competitive team into a true contender.

I think that's a bit overstated but I do think defenses can be built through spare parts much more easily than offenses can.

Nate Clements?

There's a reason SF is in the market for corners. Clements was overpaid from the beginning but is now past his prime. Why would we want him here?

Aren't we in the process of releasing veteran players in the same circumstance as
Clements finds himself?

Overall, let's judge free agency when we start to hit that third preseason game and we know what the final roster is going to look like.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Just listing options out there...wasn't suggesting we sign any of them.

Clements hasn't been released yet, and I would pass on him. Rumored to be soon. Cromartie is notorious for avoiding contact - Not a good one to have across from Hall.

I think that's a bit overstated but I do think defenses can be built through spare parts much more easily than offenses can.
I'm curious, hermano. Which part?

Well, the Chris Chester signing is one more for the O line. :)

Chester is a journeyman. I have absolutely no faith in the Oline the way it stands. none, we have TW and junk. a team can get away with having 1 -2 of those kinds of players on an oline if they have standouttalent everywhere else, last year we started 4 of them. You saw what that looks like. Our Offence has added lots of depth and youth at some skill spots but we are yet again ignoring the achilles heel of this team. in a perfect world we would have gone all offence this draft and FA period except for perhaps an OLB and a FS, but we didnt, and I dont have to reiterate how foolish that was.

Ok as for the defence, we added a lot of guys and got younger, thats a huge plus, at least this year we will have more of an excuse to suck. and make no mistake, we will suck, we will suck hard and suck often, we may however actually have a stand every now and then and we might have some hope for a couple young guys to step up instead of watching everyone get one year older.
To answer some points/questions

1- we had laron at the start of last season and our defence still sucked on an almost amazing level, why was that? because the scheme was unsound, the players didnt even remotely fit and we may have been the worst team in the NFL at adjusting. having a safety leading your team in tackles is less about having an awesome safety and more about having a terrible front 7. Laron is not going to make that much of a difference, he is a solid player when used correctly, he is not Sean Taylor (a true game changer) at least not right now.

2- we signed a bunch of defencive players, thats awesome, but we signed a bunch of guys who are all 4-3 players who will have to make a huge transition in their rookie years. Kerrigan I think will be able to make the transition because he is a hard worker and his spot is not as massive a jump as Jenkins will be. we signed several guys who will be able to compete at 3-4 DE and thats good, but some of them are absolute head shakers as their skillsets do not fit the 3-4 as well as they fit the 4-3. we yet again did not sign or draft the key piece in the 3-4. and we ignored LB other than drafting a potential starter at OLB.

3- I think Alexander will be decent at ILB, maybe a levon kirkland type size wise, however, its not an easy transition, Henson I dont see doing much and riley will probbaly get on the field simply because we have noone else.

4-This scheme is still going to be bad, I would caution you guys not to get too excited, yes we added some players, no we didnt add even one guy who will be a surefire probowler,even Kerrigan is likely to be more of an almost but not quite pro bowl type.

5- we improved at FS and thats been a huge hole for a couple seasons, but we will not be getting a whole lot better at CB which was a huge sore spot last season, yes Wilson is slightly better than Clos, but Hall is a 50-50 guy, he is literally feast or famine, and sadly mostly famine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.