• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dear Redskins

The "homegrown" notion, to me anyway, is an anachronism in the NFL. You win big in this era by having an overall personnel plan that includes the draft, free agency and trades all working in sync ... sprinkled with a little magic dust in the form of a big-time QB ... to turn a competitive team into a true contender.

I agree, but there has to be a foundation to build on, and thats not something we have had here since Gibbs one.

Chester is a journeyman. I have absolutely no faith in the Oline the way it stands. none, we have TW and junk. a team can get away with having 1 -2 of those kinds of players on an oline if they have standouttalent everywhere else, last year we started 4 of them. You saw what that looks like. Our Offence has added lots of depth and youth at some skill spots but we are yet again ignoring the achilles heel of this team. in a perfect world we would have gone all offence this draft and FA period except for perhaps an OLB and a FS, but we didnt, and I dont have to reiterate how foolish that was.

You must be thinking of someone else. Chester has spent his entire career in Baltimore, and started 27 of 30 possible games the past two seasons. Sounds like a starter to me...

Also, his scouting report is that he's an athlete - perfect for the ZBS. I bet he was targeted this entire time.

I will trust Coach Foerster on this choice. Bringing in Chester is a good move - a very good move. He is meant for the ZBS and not the scheme that the Ravens employ - that is why we targeted him. He is very quick and moves very well from right to left. He is not a power blocker and not a good fit in such an offense. His 40 speed is about the quickest of all NFL linemen - a must in the ZBS. His speed afforded the Ravens to play him at TE for a while. That will translate well to the ZBS.

Sure, we could sign a Davin Joseph. However, he is a good fit in a power running game and not the ZBS. What good is that signing if he can't fit into the scheme? Sure, it looks pretty on paper and he was one of the top lineman out there until TB retained his services earlier today. Yes, we had the money to sign him. Bottom line, it would've been a Vinny move that you love now, but hate by mid October.

I'm curious, hermano. Which part?

Oh, well I don't think building primarily through homegrown talent is an outdated concept. I think it's less important than it was 25 years ago, sure. But I think most good teams still build through their own players and supplement with trades and FA.

Not a huge disagreement though. Just a bit. :)

that's what the team in 2011 is trying to do starting with the 12 draft choices.

but you can't select and bring rookies into a vacuum while you are in the process of cutting a number of 30 plus year old players who were your leaders, guys like Rabach, Daniels, etc.

So, a SANE approach is to combine the draft with the opportunities in free agency to acquire mid-career vets in their 20's who are in or just entering their primes.

Winning teams ultimately have a good mix of veterans and younger players.

Losing teams tend to have a lot of rookies or too many players over 30 who were in the pro bowl 4 or 5 years ago.

I'm really disappointed at the lack of O-Line signings so far.

I would like to see them sign Dahl and re-sign Brown.

I don't really view this team as a time to load up and make a run at a championship team.

They look more like they're building something that will be effective a year or two down the line.

that's what the team in 2011 is trying to do starting with the 12 draft choices.

but you can't select and bring rookies into a vacuum while you are in the process of cutting a number of 30 plus year old players who were your leaders, guys like Rabach, Daniels, etc.

So, a SANE approach is to combine the draft with the opportunities in free agency to acquire mid-career vets in their 20's who are in or just entering their primes.

Winning teams ultimately have a good mix of veterans and younger players.

Losing teams tend to have a lot of rookies or too many players over 30 who were in the pro bowl 4 or 5 years ago.

Not disagreeing at all. All I started out saying was that defenses are a little easier to build through trades and free agency than offenses are. At this point I am simply explaining my little caveat. It really wasn't that big a deal. :)

I do agree with many in this thread who are perturbed by the fact that we have not thus far addressed the OL in any remotely significant way, but other than that I'm not disappointed with this offseason so far.

We just signed Chris Chester (center, Baltimore?) according to twitter chatter.
6'3" 315 lbs 28 years old, 6 year vet who started 14 games last year for the Ravens.

We just signed Chris Chester (center, Baltimore?) according to twitter chatter.
6'3" 315 lbs 28 years old, 6 year vet who started 14 games last year for the Ravens.

Well, that was earlier this afternoon. :)

Some of us have day jobs :)

Some of us have day jobs :)

Ok, who took the BGO Violin and put it in hiding? :)

I've been at this since 4:30 this morning. Not sure if this qualifies as being crazy or just plain insane. But it has been a blast today and the kind of one day activity that we may never see the likes of again. Tomorrow will bring some additional changes, but today was incredible.

I know everyone appreciates it. I'm going to need a roster card just to figure out who the hell all these guys are in the pre-season. And I'm only half joking :)

I've been thinking the same thing. It will be like a whole new team on the field when the first game rolls around.

They look more like they're building something that will be effective a year or two down the line.

The alternative is to watch both fan boards and local media wind up being flooded with "Fire Shanahan!" and "Fire Allen!" comments.

I have no issue with new faces, remember last year when we had more turnover than everyone else? only last year we exchanged our old scrubs for someone elses lol, at leats this year I can hope that some of these young guys step up and pan out. I am not extremely excited about chester, I could care less what 40 an Olineman runs I want quickness and explosion not top end speed.

Yeah, where would we be, as a franchise, without our "homegrown" heroes?

Sonny, Billy, Joey T., Riggins, Fletcher, Ken Harvey, Roy Jefferson, The Dancing Bear, Dave Butz, Jim Lachey, Ken Houston, Pat Fischer, Lamar Parrish, etc...

I don't give a hoot in hell how we get guys. All that matters is what they do once they get here. In that respect, we need to do better in the draft, free agency, and trading, than we have been.

We're a contender in the NFC East, right now.

Yeah, I know. Ax is has lost his ****ing mind. :insane:

I have no issue with new faces, remember last year when we had more turnover than everyone else? only last year we exchanged our old scrubs for someone elses lol, at leats this year I can hope that some of these young guys step up and pan out. I am not extremely excited about chester, I could care less what 40 an Olineman runs I want quickness and explosion not top end speed.

Fine. If you want to return to the days of cheering the "pretty on paper" all-pro teams of years gone by AND don't want to have the kind of FO that you seem to despise now, here is your new team...

http://www.dallascowboys.com/

Oh, well I don't think building primarily through homegrown talent is an outdated concept. I think it's less important than it was 25 years ago, sure. But I think most good teams still build through their own players and supplement with trades and FA.

Not a huge disagreement though. Just a bit. :)
Kinda like The Genius is doing up in NE. Albert Haynesworth ... chad-dude ... ;)

That said ... obviously you need to be more aggressive and effective in the draft than the Skins had been for so long up until this season. We went WAY too far in the direction of building through free agency.

But I think what I'm mostly suggesting here is that where 20 years ago you built almost exclusively through the draft, today you had better be aggressive and effective in FA as well, or you're simply going to be left behind.

I like the way we're attacking it now. Lotsa picks, attacking FA aggressively but with fiscal responsibility and not chasing "names" so much as "contributors."

BT/OM...here are some of the thoughts/qualifiers

- given new CBA rooks should now be comparatively cheaper

- youth & speed is always an advantage

- draftees can be trained directly into the system unlike trades/FAs who arrived from other systems they were groomed for

- not always....but the trades/FAs are there for the $$$$ first...the team second. we've seen this many, many times

- the best teams learn how to manipulate the draft to persistently maintain a high level of talent (i.e., the draft is used to not only expand the pool but to creatively fill gaps thru trades!)

I think your argument rings true (i.e., the relative balance between home grown and trade/FA) in the current short turn-around cycle...basically four years. the whole system is now moving to promote greater player movement among teams for several reasons: player desires for fat paychecks, NFL goal of balanced competitiveness. that said, I still believe that the teams who prosper most are those who consistently emphasize replenishment through the draft and fill in critical gaps and speciality areas (kickers) thru FA/trades.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.