• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Are Cat That Has Changed Its Spots?

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
24 hours into free agency, the Redskins rather than being a big spender and gassing up the team plane for arrival Friday of major names, has so far taken a much more muted and frugal approach to building the 2011 roster.

Santana Moss was resigned on a reasonable 3 year deal with only $6M guaranteed. Not bad for a 93 catch receiver who can operate effectively out of the slot. For those that believe 32 is old just remember that guys like Ricky Proehl and Brandon Stokely played well into their mid 30’s and neither had Moss’ pedigree as a former top wideout.

But Moss was a Redskins’ player with 6 years of tenure in Washington, he wanted to come back, and he knows the system. So, that signing was not perhaps illustrative of what kind of approach the team would take overall in free agency.

The signings of Donte Stallworth and Barry Cofield, though, do seem to signal a different approach. Coming off a jail sentence in 2009 and a part-time role in Baltimore last season, it is difficult to believe Stallworth received much more than the veteran minimum deal with incentives. This is a sign together with the Moss signing that Washington is not in the market as reported for Santonio Holmes or Braylon Edwards who were both going to be asking for career paydays.

Cofield, 27, has been a rotation player on the Giants’ defensive line the past few years lining up as a DT in the 4-3. LaVar Arrington who played with Cofield in 2006 likes the signing as he believes Cofield is a good character guy with good athleticism who can adapt to a number of different alignments. But once again, the signing of Cofield and at least so far no moves towards Aubrayo Franklin or a Kevin Williams seems to indicate that Bruce Allen’s reputation for being a bargain hunter and conservative GM is alive and well at Redskins Park.

It’s early yet and the Redskins may be keeping their powder dry for a big move down the road for a player at another position of need, perhaps on the OL where a legitimate RT is going to cost dollars.

But at least so far it appears the days of the over-hyped signing and the arrival of Redskins 1 to far away airfields to pick up star-power players may be over.

I sure hope this team does NOT sign Braylon Edwards. This guy has parlayed a few prime-time TV appearances where he has performed well into a star reputation that has not been deserved based on the body of his work.

One would hope the Redskins did not spend THREE draft picks on WR with all of the OL and DB needs on this team just to have these guys buried deep on the bench or on the practice squad with Edwards and Stallworth taking all the reps.

It's still early in the process, but after last year and the most recent draft, it is obvious that Dan Snyder is leaving the football decisions to those who know it best. I really think we have turned the corner in that regard.

Even if we pick up Braylon and Cullen, it is still a great sign when you have twelve picks in one draft and nine (currently) in the next draft.

Got my vote for a great thread/post.

I'm wondering if some of these seemingly odd signings might be due to the new CBA's training camp roster size limit going from 80 to 90?

Let me edit that initial post some. Barry Cofield's deal is for $12.5M in guaranteed money?

That's a pretty big number for a guy that was a rotation player in NY for most of his career. Yes, he has some ability to push the pocket, hurries and 4 sacks from DT last year, but that's not pocket change.

I had assumed his deal would be for less in guarantees.

To be fair, every DL is a "rotational" player in NY. They do that on purpose.

Santonio Holmes is getting 24 million in guarentees from the Jets and Charles Johnson is getting 30 million in guarentees from the Panthers. I personally don't have a problem with Cofield getting 12 million in guarentees over the course of a 6 year contract. Looking at what some other guys are getting makes his deal seem a bit more reasonable. Add to the mix the talk about Cofield being a high character guy and I think you are putting yourself on the right road to recovery if you are the Redskins.

This free agency period has to be all about making improvements with the mindset that we are not one player away, and not breaking the bank to find that guy. So far so good in this regard.

As a sidenote, I wonder how many people are going to complain about Holmes' deal with the Jets? Had he signed with us for that amount of money, the media would be crucifying us saying we overpaid for a troublesome individual.

CH.

One more incident involving drugs and Holmes will miss a season.

Amazing still that the Steelers let him go for a #5 pick and they end up in the Super Bowl yet again.

No way they were going to pay Holmes big money with his off the field record.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Our conservative approach has to be killing the media. They still try to link every big name FA to us, but nothing has materialized.

I bet the media is discussing (amongst themselves) how they miss Vinny.

I bet the media is discussing (amongst themselves) how they miss Vinny.

...and when they aren't discussing that, they are likely asking each other why JLC still has a job at the NFL Network.

...and when they aren't discussing that, they are likely asking each other why JLC still has a job at the NFL Network.

JLC smugly said today on NFLN that he's been calling McNabb to Minny for months... Ha! He's such a douche. I also noticed some of the NFLN guys were in his cheering section today too... God I can't understand how he has a job.

JLC smugly said today on NFLN that he's been calling McNabb to Minny for months... Ha! He's such a douche. I also noticed some of the NFLN guys were in his cheering section today too... God I can't understand how he has a job.

I swear if I could have reached inside my TV last night, I would have slapped him! He boldly stated that Snyder is going to make a big splash with all that money he has to spend. Well jerk off, if you'd done your homework instead of being yanked around by the agents that use you every step of the way, you'd realize that Snyder is not making football decisions! And maybe then you might be correct more than once in every 25 predictions that you make!

Everybody knew McNabb was going to Minnesota!

I swear if I could have reached inside my TV last night, I would have slapped him! He boldly stated that Snyder is going to make a big splash with all that money he has to spend. Well jerk off, if you'd done your homework instead of being yanked around by the agents that use you every step of the way, you'd realize that Snyder is not making football decisions! And maybe then you might be correct more than once in every 25 predictions that you make!

Everybody knew McNabb was going to Minnesota!

El, regarding the bolded part of your post; this is commonplace throughout the NFL online universe. The fan forums I visit, their local media, even general sports media mostly-there are exceptions-still believe that Snyder is micro-managing everything.

I've seen it everywhere too Serv. I just expect someone in his position would actually get it right. He has an obligation as a sports journalist to get it right. He doesn't! And I just want to slap him! :laugh: Smarmy little ****!

El, regarding the bolded part of your post; this is commonplace throughout the NFL online universe. The fan forums I visit, their local media, even general sports media mostly-there are exceptions-still believe that Snyder is micro-managing everything.

I'm as happy as anyone that isn't the case anymore, but to be fair, it's not like that perception wasn't well-earned. I have a feeling that perception will be around for a while.

Apparently not everything changes quite that fast. I nearly spit on the keyboard when I read this.

From Dan Steinberg at DC Sports Blog.

Posted at 10:54 AM ET, 07/28/2011
Redskins advertise McNabb jerseys

Wednesday around 1:30, I got an e-mail from the Redskins

“Redskins are Back to Football - Celebrate with $20 off Player Jerseys!” was the subject line.

“Hey Redskins fan - it's time to get back to football!” read the text. “Celebrate with $20 off official player jerseys! Click here.”

And when I clicked here, this is what I saw.

mcnabbjerseysale0711.jpg

Never change, Redskins. Never change.

(Yes, if you follow the link, there are a whole bunch of other jerseys available, including those of many popular players. Still, the first 13 on the list were all variations of McNabb.)

Link:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/redskins-advertise-mcnabb-jerseys/2011/07/28/gIQAtuvyeI_blog.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.