• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL.com: Redskins prepared to make run on big free agents after lockout

Lanky Livingston

Jason LaCanfora apparently has access to the Redskins' entire shopping list when the lockout ends. He has posted it on NFL.com for everyone to see! Some new names linked to the Skins, including Marshall Yanda, the OG from Baltimore.

-------------
The Washington Redskins, who largely sat out the free-agent market in 2010, are prepared to make a splash this year, numerous sources familiar with the team's offseason plans said Tuesday.

Facing a serious lack of talent at crucial positions, the longtime NFC East doormats have put together a list of high-end free agents they want and will be very aggressive in pursuing them as soon as the NFL lockout is lifted, according to the sources.

Signing New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes reportedly is the primary objective of Redskins coach and chief decision maker Mike Shanahan. Guard Marshal Yanda, a player whom the Baltimore Ravens will vigorously fight to retain -- just as the Jets will make a concerted effort to retain Holmes -- also is coveted in Washington.

Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins and brother Kris, who's oft-injured but was very effective for the Jets when healthy, also are key targets for the Redskins, and league sources would be surprised if the team didn't land both, with competition for those two players not likely to be as steep as for Holmes and Yanda.

New York Giants defensive lineman Barry Cofield, despite being a 4-3 player to this point, also has been the subject of offseason planning by the Redskins, who operate a 3-4 defense.

The sources said the Redskins also will work hard to retain some of their own free agents, with wide receiver Santana Moss still in their plans, though it will be tricky to sign him and Holmes. Right tackle Jammal Brown, despite his checkered injury history, also remains in Washington's plans, and the team is optimistic about re-signing him.

Backup quarterback Rex Grossman will be re-signed (Shanahan remains dedicated to John Beck being his starter, team sources said); cornerback Phillip Buchanon will be pursued, given the woeful state of the team's corners; and the Redskins' staff has wavered on the merits of retaining linebacker Rocky McIntosh, who didn't fare well in 2010 evaluations and seemed ill-fitted to the team's scheme.

It all adds up to what could be a pivotal offseason for Shanahan, who already has fallen under scrutiny following clashes with top players and acute struggles on both offense and defense during his first season in Washington.

Team sources maintain that they can't foresee the Redskins keeping either quarterback Donovan McNabb or defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth. Receiving much for either in a trade will prove quite difficult given their contracts, and several team sources believe Shanahan ultimately will take anything he can for Haynesworth. The Redskins are particularly concerned that if they release Haynesworth, he will sign with the NFC East rival Philadelphia Eagles and reunite with his former Tennessee Titans position coach, Jim Washburn.

With trade options for McNabb limited, team sources expect Shanahan ultimately to release him. The Minnesota Vikings would be among the teams interested in the quarterback, league sources have said.

Shanahan, who has a long history of offensive wizardry, is desperate for a playmaker, which makes Holmes so attractive (contrary to reports, the Redskins haven't spent much time discussing Holmes' Jets teammate, Braylon Edwards). The Redskins also are desperate for impact offensive lineman, and if they miss out on Yanda, they likely will target two other Ravens -- Chris Chester or Jared Gaither -- since Washington's offensive line coach, Chris Foerster, has ties to those players from his time in Baltimore.

Click Link for the rest.

The first sentence was enough to make me vomit! We did not "largely sit out of FA" last year. We signed a number of players. We just didn't sign any big names to enormous contracts. I cannot believe he still has a job.

That’s an interesting (and extensive) list. Jason and his source seem to think the Skins are going to open up the wallet like it was 2000 again. I hope he’s wrong. That’s not to say some of those guys wouldn’t be a nice addition to the team. but we have to keep our heads. We aren’t going to become a contender in one off-season. Patience, especially in this case, will leave us far better off than any crazy spending spree.

A few reasonable additions would make a lot more sense and leave us better prepared to make moves next season as well.

In my opinion, Jason is bitter about his time with the Redskins. He was in constant battles with the team and fans because his "insider info" was consistently wrong. I think he wrote this in the hopes he is right about a name or two, to try to screw us over. Its a ridiculous article.

On a side note: I got in an argument with Evan Silva from PFT on twitter. I said they're all throwing darts, and he disagreed. What a buffoon!

HF, I agree with you and further am not sure about LaCanfora and his sources here. I, of course, could be wrong but...

A couple of things make me hesitate on buying totally into this, one of which I've mentioned before, is Allen's rep for money efficiency.

The other is the way we did the draft. Everybody expected the Redskins to grab a QB at #10 or either trade up for one. Instead, we traded down-multiple times-and grabbed a bunch of middle and late round guys-and no QB. In terms of salaries we basically low-balled the draft. No matter what the new rookie wage scale looks like the Redskins will be taking less of an overall salary hit from the draft than most other teams. This was a new and different approach than what people were used to in a Redskins draft. Could it then not be plausible to think a similar approach might be coming in free agency? I'm speculating here, of course, but it would seem to fit a pattern I see developing.

Of course, coming from the other direction, things seem to be leaning toward the idea that getting rid of McNabb and Haynesworth are top priorities and combining that with the-if accurate-new cap space minimum salary percentage requirement will leave the Redskins with a pile of cap space money and the mandate to spend most of it. This could open up a multitude of possible FA scenarios-a few expensive elite players, a boatload of second-tier but starter-quality "bargains", or-and what I'd prefer-a combination of two or three top players and several second-tier starter/backups to both fill needed holes and use up enough cap space money to meet the required percentage.

That’s an interesting (and extensive) list. Jason and his source seem to think the Skins are going to open up the wallet like it was 2000 again. I hope he’s wrong. That’s not to say some of those guys wouldn’t be a nice addition to the team. but we have to keep our heads. We aren’t going to become a contender in one off-season. Patience, especially in this case, will leave us far better off than any crazy spending spree.

A few reasonable additions would make a lot more sense and leave us better prepared to make moves next season as well.

Hog...any other year I'd agree with you: lotta water under that Redskin bridge!! but this year may be a unique time with such a huge pool of talent coming on-line. if ever there was a time to be a SMART buyer...this may be it!

In my opinion, Jason is bitter about his time with the Redskins. He was in constant battles with the team and fans because his "insider info" was consistently wrong. I think he wrote this in the hopes he is right about a name or two, to try to screw us over. Its a ridiculous article.

On a side note: I got in an argument with Evan Silva from PFT on twitter. I said they're all throwing darts, and he disagreed. What a buffoon!

I have no clue on this one...but your theory seems plausible to me. LaCanfora is a putz!

Of course, coming from the other direction, things seem to be leaning toward the idea that getting rid of McNabb and Haynesworth are top priorities and combining that with the-if accurate-new cap space minimum salary percentage requirement will leave the Redskins with a pile of cap space money and the mandate to spend most of it. This could open up a multitude of possible FA scenarios-a few expensive elite players, a boatload of second-tier but starter-quality "bargains", or-and what I'd prefer-a combination of two or three top players and several second-tier starter/backups to both fill needed holes and use up enough cap space money to meet the required percentage.

that's what I'm thinkin is closer to the mark

I've read that the new CBA will likely have a Cap ceiling that all teams must meat that is something like 90-95% - seems a little ridiculous, but with upwards of $45M in space, the Redskins might HAVE to sign all those guys. Ha!

I'll second what Serv said as well. A while back, I had a comprehensive list of FAs that the Redskins could target. The list was rather large and it included names like Cofield, Yanda, and Jenkins. I did my homework, but had no clue that the cap space would be $45 million (at a MINIMUM!) - I was thinking more like $20 million.

With this kind of room to maneuver, the Redskins could sign four or five "big name" types and load up on a number of second tier players as Serv has said. It wouldn't surprise me to see twelve to fifteen FAs being signed. GM Allen did an excellent job of putting us in this position. With his knack for creating team-friendly contracts, we could jettison any of these players before the season begins - that's if they don't fit in to the team plans.

Don't forget about UFDAs. The coaches and GM probably have a number of these players (or their agents) on speed dial.

Who is ready to begin tracking Redskins One??? :)

Hog...any other year I'd agree with you: lotta water under that Redskin bridge!! but this year may be a unique time with such a huge pool of talent coming on-line. if ever there was a time to be a SMART buyer...this may be it!

I hope your right. I've gotten so gun shy about big name free agents that I involuntarily flinch every time the term is used.

I hope your right. I've gotten so gun shy about big name free agents that I involuntarily flinch every time the term is used.

lol....yea.....but at least on the football side of this board...HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!!!! think positive HOG!!!! :clap2:

I've read that the new CBA will likely have a Cap ceiling that all teams must meat that is something like 90-95% - seems a little ridiculous, but with upwards of $45M in space, the Redskins might HAVE to sign all those guys. Ha!

is this called the anti-Bengals rule? :)

On a team as talent poor as we are , we will need to sign at least 3-4 big name free agents as well as around 12 -19 mid tier guys, just to be competitive. I think however we might be sandbaggin to get the shannies a QB in which case we will sign guys who will give us 4-5 good years rather than our normal penchant for one year wonders.

On a team as talent poor as we are , we will need to sign at least 3-4 big name free agents as well as around 12 -19 mid tier guys, just to be competitive. I think however we might be sandbaggin to get the shannies a QB in which case we will sign guys who will give us 4-5 good years rather than our normal penchant for one year wonders.

In a similar vein, Ryman, one thing I'll be keeping a close eye on will be the average age of the FAs we pick up.I probably wouldn't be too surprised by a couple of the "big name" guys being in their early to mid-30s because of likely immediate impact, but if the bulk of the second-tier players are in, say, the 26-29 year age range that may indicate a strategic positioning to trade up for Luck or one of the other available QBs in 2012.

Ryman, thinking about what you posted raised a question. Do you see John Beck as a "placeholder/mentor" for a drafted "Top Ten" QB or is it possible Shanahan might actually hold on to him for 4-5 more years? I'm still having trouble trying to figure out what Shanny's liable to be up to with Beck-especially not having much by way of a "game-time" resume.

Actually, I'd like anybody's input on this one, although as I mentioned how we do FA may offer some clues as to Allen/Shanahan's plans for the re-build.

(I know, a lot of questions in one post, but damn have I missed talking football. ;))

I just can't imagine Shanahan sitting at his desk with Kyle, raving about John Beck. It just boggles the mind to think that could actually be happening. I think its mostly coach speak, to inspire confidence in him and try to get his best...but in reality, they've got to be ****ting their pants at the prospect of John Beck at the helm for 16 games!

The Beck thing confuses me. I’m a numbers guy so let’s look at some numbers and I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.

Beck will be 30 at the start of the season.
Beck has started 4 NFL games (all for the Dolphins) and won 0
Most of his time in the NFL he’s been 3rd string behind the likes of Cleo Lemon and Troy Smith
In his appearances his QB rating was 62.0
In his appearances he threw 1 TD 3 INTs and lost 5 fumbles

I’d like to see Shanahan be right about Beck (if the reports are to be believed) and have him lead the team to glory for the next decade, but the numbers don’t seem to add up. Yes, I know that it was a bad situation in Miami but you’d like to think that he would have shown something, anything to lead us to believe that he can back up his bravado. Miami thought so much of his chances they released him. Baltimore thought so much of him they traded him to us for Doug Dutch (I’ll give you a minute to look him up) who was a practice squad guy who they later cut.

We’re supposed to believe Shanahan wants to start him because he liked him coming out of college? I call BS on that. I think whatever plans we have at QB we want to keep close to the vest, at least I hope they have a plan. I still have to think Grossman will start the season for us. If Beck starts for us and wins 8 games they need to make a movie about him and declare him “King of Football”. I just don’t see it.

I still say Grossman starts week one. If Beck has the talent then I'll be rooting for him to take the starting job but I haven't seen that yet.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

There will be no salary cap this season. It would take a Herculean effort to implement it in such a short period of time. It will go into effect with the 2012 season and beyond. Heard this on the radio (twice) on the way home a short time ago. I wasn't in the car - riding my bike and had the headset on.

Anyway, that would be awesome news for the Redskins. They will be able to do some serious bidding for targeted FAs and then some. GM Allen will work his magic and the cap will be of no consequence when next season rolls around.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.