• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Computer Issue, Need Help

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I started noticing about 6 months ago that when I try to play games on this site or any other site, my keyboard likes to freeze up at random. It will do it for 1-2 seconds at most, but it's just long enough to completely screw me up and make gameplay unenjoyable.

I originally had a wireless keyboard and thought that might be the issue, so I bought a wired keyboard and it still does it. It only does it on games where the gameplay is controlled by the keyboard. Sometimes it is like a button got stuck down, and other times it just will not respond to my hitting the key.

I don't have any idea what could cause this or how to fix it, but it's frustrating. If it matters, my computer specs are as follows...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Athlon Processor 2850e 1.8 GHz
2GB RAM

I am running Firefox 3.6.18. I was previously running Firefox 3.4.2 and it did it then too, so I don't think it's a Firefox issue.

If anyone has any ideas why my computer and my keyboard can't get along, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

What's the game? Are they flash games based in Java?

Also, and this is pretty much the default answer to any computer based question, check to make sure your drivers are up to date.

I checked the drivers first thing after switching keyboards. It's the games in the BGO arcade that require the keyboard. It isn't BGO that's the problem either, because if I play flash games on other sites, it happens there too. It's mind boggling to me to hold high scores on so many games here when I have a keyboard that quits working at random lol.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Athlon Processor 2850e 1.8 GHz
2GB RAM

I am running Firefox 3.6.18. I was previously running Firefox 3.4.2 and it did it then too, so I don't think it's a Firefox issue.

If anyone has any ideas why my computer and my keyboard can't get along, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

To run Win7, I highly recommend a stronger computer. I tried to run Win7 last year with 4GB RAM and it did ok, but it was sluggish. It was time for a change - got a new computer with 24GB RAM and a quad-core i7. Win7 purrs quite nicely - like a very happy kitten.

With all due respect, Win7 64 bit is really going to struggle at 1.8 GHz and 2GB RAM. You would do far better with XP Pro on that machine. To run Win7, you need at least an i5 Core2 at 2.8 GHz or better. 8GB RAM is preferable. For Win7 to really run at it's best, 12 GB RAM with an i7 processor is the way to go.

To run Win7, I highly recommend a stronger computer. I tried to run Win7 last year with 4GB RAM and it did ok, but it was sluggish. It was time for a change - got a new computer with 24GB RAM and a quad-core i7. Win7 purrs quite nicely - like a very happy kitten.

With all due respect, Win7 64 bit is really going to struggle at 1.8 GHz and 2GB RAM. You would do far better with XP Pro on that machine. To run Win7, you need at least an i5 Core2 at 2.8 GHz or better. 8GB RAM is preferable. For Win7 to really run at it's best, 12 GB RAM with an i7 processor is the way to go.
You know what's sad? I bought this computer the way it currently is brand new 18 months ago. I have made no alterations to it at all, but I repeatedly hear that I should upgrade. I hate getting screwed right out of the gate :(

Are you serious abut you using that version of Firefox? I am currently using version 25.0.1! You have some catching up to do.

Maybe the fact you are using such an outdated version of Firefox is what's causing most of your problems.

If you only get the freeze during game play, check to see what pc requirements are needed for game play. Your specs as listed seem to be the very minimum, so that could also be a problem.

Are you serious abut you using that version of Firefox? I am currently using version 25.0.1! You have some catching up to do.

Maybe the fact you are using such an outdated version of Firefox is what's causing most of your problems.

If you only get the freeze during game play, check to see what pc requirements are needed for game play. Your specs as listed seem to be the very minimum, so that could also be a problem.
This thread is over 2 years old, calm down :laugh: I quit using firefox a week after this post.

I laughed my ass off Mike, because about a year ago my neighbor was having problems with her computer and asked me to come look at it and see what the problem was. When I turned it on, she was running Windows Me and AOL 7.0 on dialup on an old Gateway computer. I made no attempt to delve into the stoneage, so I told her throwing away what she had and coming into the future was her best option. And it wasn't a money issue, she's a forensic nurse. She's just a cheap ass :laugh:

I don't know what made me laugh harder - Windows Me, AOL, or the damn Gateway, it was a trip.

You're so right. I remember when I first got a 56k modem before any of my friends, and I thought I was the shit :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.