• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Plaxico Burress to the Redskins?

Lanky Livingston

At least one big name player would like to see him in the B&G, and he certainly fits the bill for a Snyder signing. After bringing in a bunch of WR retreads last year, why not take a chance on Burress? He'll be pretty cheap, I'd imagine (relatively, of course), and the Redskins have money to spend this offseason.

We're hearing all the right things from him in terms of attitude - it seems like he was genuinely humbled. And if Mike Vick deserves a second chance (I still don't think he did, personally), Plax DEFINITELY deserves a second chance. The only concern I would have is how the gunshot wound healed, and how it will affect his breaks and such. If he works out well, sign him.

Personally, I see it as a win-win situation. If he's lost a step, it doesn't really matter too much, he'd be one hell of a possession receiver, and could mentor Hankerson. Also, there's nothing better for a young QB than one big target to throw to except TWO big targets - I say bring on Plax!

I think I would pass on him. It goes against the philosophy the organization appears to be going with character players.

I think I would pass on him. It goes against the philosophy the organization appears to be going with character players.

Well, that would be true if you believed he was not humbled in prison, or that he did not learn his lesson. He was never much of a trouble-maker in New York, outside of his incident. Listening to his post-prison interviews, he seems like he learned a lot in the slammer.

Well, that would be true if you believed he was not humbled in prison, or that he did not learn his lesson. He was never much of a trouble-maker in New York, outside of his incident. Listening to his post-prison interviews, he seems like he learned a lot in the slammer.

You're right, I don't know if he was humbled or not since I have no access to him. I only have the information I have been provided...like he was just released from prison. That says enough about his character to say, "No thank you. I will pass!" I don't think this is a gamble this organization can afford to make. If we didn't just experience the Haynesworth or McNabb saga and have not been a laughing stock in the NFL over the past 10 years we could take that risk.

At this point it is a gamble we just can't take. If this one blew up in our face, it would be a total disaster and it would kill the Shanahan era. He could be a solid receiver again. He could be that go to guy you suggested in your original post. He could be an all-pro. On the other hand, he could be the trouble maker he has proven to be. His actions have demonstrated a character issue that should concern anyone thinking about signing him. Can he redeem himself? I hope so, just not with us and hopefully not with the Eagles or Cowgirls.

This organization has taken a new path. Shanahan seems to understand that the name Redskins has taken a dramatically different path than the once proud franchise and seems to be steering that ship toward respectability. Like I said before, if they signed Burress and it turned bad, it could mean the end of his era in DC. Too risky.

I wouldn't be willing to pay him a lot either, but I also don't think any team will be willing to give him a big contract. He'll probably get a one or two year, incentive-laden deal for a couple million (depending on the vet minimum in the new CBA) - not outrageous at all (IMO).

He was a trouble-maker in Pitt, but it was mostly just immaturity. He seemed to mature in New York, and was a leader of that offense. They don't win the superbowl without him, period.

The character issue is not even a big concern for me. I don’t think he’s a “bad guy”. Even if we decided we wanted him, and that’s a big if, I don’t see why he would sign here anyway. We are a team that’s rebuilding with a huge question mark at QB. Some contender or thinks-they-are-a-contender will want to give him a look.

Either he takes less to chase the ring (which he already has) or someone is going to end up overpaying for this guy, and it better not be us. We should stick with the youth movement, take our lumps and stop trying to dig for gold in a minefield. Let someone else make the mistake for a change.

I mean, we signed 56 year-old Joey Galloway last season...can it get worse than that?

Don't kid yourself guys he's not going to be a bargain for us. He's either going to take a little less to sign with a "contender" or he's going to try to cash in from the highest bidder. Since he has a ring and probably is hurting for cash I'd lean towards the latter option. There are several teams who will show interest once this labor stuff is finished. Just about every NFL message board has a thread just like this one.

If he would be willing to sign for vet minimum plus incentives just about every team in the league would sign him. Why wouldn't they? That's exactly why it's not going to play out that way. He doesn't have to sign a contract like that because there will be competition for his services. Someone is going to overpay if they want him.

Well, I said he'd sign for a little more than vet min, but I'm sure he'll get an incentive laden contract from most teams, with all sorts of "stay out of trouble" clauses.

You really think he's going to get a big pay day? That's pretty naive I think.

Big contract may be relative. He's not going to see top 10 money but I think he gets significantly more than "close to vet minimum and incentives". If he proves that he's close to game shape and can still run there will be 4 or 5 teams who will be interested. In that case someone will end up overpaying. Again, relative to "close to vet minimum and incentives".

If he works out and can't run then yeah, he might be forced into a one year low end contract because there will be less interest in his services. If this is the the case though, why would we or anyone else bother? We are better off with a rookie in that roster spot. I think we're better off with a rookie there even if he can run, but that's just me.

True Mike.

You gotta think spending some time in lockup plus whatever money he spent on his defense has drained his bank account. His window to make money as a pro ball player is closing quick. If he didn't already have a ring I'd say he might chase that but since he already has one I'd guess he'd go for the $$$$$$. You never know though.

Big contract may be relative. He's not going to see top 10 money but I think he gets significantly more than "close to vet minimum and incentives". If he proves that he's close to game shape and can still run there will be 4 or 5 teams who will be interested. In that case someone will end up overpaying. Again, relative to "close to vet minimum and incentives".

If he works out and can't run then yeah, he might be forced into a one year low end contract because there will be less interest in his services. If this is the the case though, why would we or anyone else bother? We are better off with a rookie in that roster spot. I think we're better off with a rookie there even if he can run, but that's just me.

Careful, I never said he was going to sign for vet min + incentives, you're misstating me. I said he would get an incentive laden contract for a couple million, depending on the vet minimum - I say this, because the vet min could and probably will change with the new CBA. If the vet min is bumped to $1.5M (I think its currently at $1M), he might get $3M for one season, with incentives to make the deal worth much more. $3M is nothing for a receiver of his caliber, IMO.

I would never want to misstate you, that would be naive on my part.

You said in your very first post that he'd come cheap (relatively). You clarified that in this last post as 3 million per. Then 3 million plus incentives. Which is it? I'm busting your chops here but it doesn't even matter.

I've already explained why I think he'll get more but for the sake of argument let's say we could get him for 3 million per. We still have this problem: Why would he want to play here given our current QB situation and recent winning ways? Don't kid yourself, he wouldn't, UNLESS we overpaid vs. what the market is prepared to pay, just like Buffalo did with TO last season with his one year 6.5 million dollar deal.

Given that situation is getting Plax a good way to spend our free agent money? Isn't that the same line of thinking that has helped bring this franchise to its current state? Is he the missing piece or a building block for the future? You know the answer, just like I do.

Of all the things to argue about...you ever heard the phrase "pick your battles?" Of course he will come cheap...he has been out of football for 2 years. And not just out of football, he's been in PRISON for two years. No way he gets a big payday.

T.O. got $6.5M from Buffalo because he played the season before at a high level (1000 yards and 10TDs) and his production has never really dropped off that significantly. Also involved in T.O.'s $6.5M deal is the fact that he did not shoot himself in the leg, and consequently go to prison for 2 years.

Depending on where the vet min is after the new CBA is finalized (it can and probably will change with a new CBA), I think Plax will get a little over (around .5-1M??) the min as a base salary, with incentives that can take it up to around T.O.'s level or even higher. Is that stated clearly enough for you?

Oh God no. Not Braylon. Didn't we have him a few years back? Rod Gardner?

Ugh, don't want another 50/50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.