• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Marko Mitchell

We might learn a lot about the Redskins plans for Mitchell on Friday night. I wouldn't be surprised if we hardly see him at all. If the team is serious about landing him on the PS, they may well tuck him away, out-of-sight out-of-mind style. On the other hand, if he plays a lot again, and sees his number called again, it may well be that they're seriously considering him for the 53 man roster and want to get at least one more good look at him under the lights.

One thing I'll say about the kid, he looks like a natural. Guys like that don't come along every day. There's an endless supply of guys with good bodies and athletic skills who shine briefly in preseason (anyone remember McMullen from last year?), then quietly fade away. Occasionally, though, you get a guy with the body and athletic ability who also happens to be a natural football player. Something about Mitchell has struck me that way since early on ...

Be a great story.

And Devin Thomas can take a hike for all I care, I'm about done with him.

What is the deal with Thomas? Why didn't he start on Saturday?

Early reports were that he was really comming along in camp so I can either assume:

(1) The coaching staff wanted a better look at Kelly,

(2) The coaching staff simply wanted Kelly to run that fade at the beginning of the game (as Zorn said in his presser but why didn't they was Thomas to run it?), or

(3) The coaching staff is totally comfortable with Kelly as the number #2 and doesn't need to see anything else from him.

The Collins INT was partially Thomas' fault so I imagine thats not helping him out a lot in the coaches eyes.

From what I have been reading, he has been battling hamstring issues. It may appear the coaches are getting tired of these nagging injuries and are simply going to go with the guys who are working harder than the others. Looks like Kelly may fitting that bill.

I thought Kelly played better in the game against the Ravens and earned it. Personally, I have thought he offered the best chance at a legit guy opposite Moss from the beginning. The only question with him is how fragile he is.

If anyone thinks money is not one of the factors determining whether certain players stay or go those folks are simply walking around with blinders on.

ARE has largely failed to make an impact on special teams and at 31 is being looked at more and more as the #3 receiver. I think Zorn would be perfectly happy to see both Kelly AND Thomas pass ARE on the depth chart during the season.

As far as Mitchell goes I don't know if he is future starting material or not.

But I have seen that he can do things with his size and body control at 6'4 that ARE has never been able to do.

To dismiss him because he was a #7 pick is to forget the examples of Charlie Brown and Keenan McCardell, former late round picks by the Redskins that made the grade in the NFL.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

ARE's contract is the sole-reason he's still here, IMO. He still offers some flash on trick/gadget plays, but other than that, he's relatively useless. At least not worth the huge salary cap number he has. And in typical Snyder fashion, his contract is backloaded, so cutting him would result in a ginormous cap hit.

I was more impressed with his blocking for Cooley than his catch. This kid is a keeper.

Hard to argue against the kid earning a roster spot at this point. Flashing in one game isn't enough--we see kids do that every year. But Mitchell has shown something every time he's been on the field. And it hasn't just been the good hands, it's been field awareness knowing where the first down marker is, its been toughness running through tackles to pick it up, it's been speed, hands, blocking downfield ...

Man looks like a player.

Yeah - I have to agree. Guy looks like an NFL player to me. I think we may have only seen a glimpse of what he can do with more experience. Just a matter of the numbers game now. Honestly, I can't recall the last time we had so much young talent at WR and RB. Makes you wish the NFL allowed 63 players instead of 53.

Moss, Kelly, Thomas, Mitchell & ARE. Speed, size, and quickness.

I can live with that.

PS- Did I mention size? :)

IMO mitchell made the team when he assisted on 2 special teams tackles against NE.

Hackett will be cut.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Hey all ... wasn't going to do this, and probably won't again, but I went ahead and created a Marko Mitchell avatar. As you can see. It's Tier 2 and available to anyone who's been aboard 1 month, has 50 posts or is a Premium member. Click the avatar to see the full-sized pic the avatar was made from ...

So Marko ... don't make me look bad man. Make it. :)

In the hopper, trust me. Just not going to tempt fate on that one ...

Considering the PT Marko has now gotten alongside guys much higher on the depth chart, I think the team is beginning to wonder if Marko may ALREADY be a better player than Devin or Malcolm.

The veteran DBs have been effusive in their praise of Marko, which says a lot. When asked about Devin or Malcolm, they tend to give much more PC answers. Not to say that Devin and Malcolm haven't made significant progress since last season, but Marko is clearly the one who has opened eyes, both in games and on the practice field.

EDIT: Besides, Marko has already been given an official Smoot-issued nickname (Lanky Linvingston). To my knowledge, Devin and Malcolm are still waiting on theirs. :)

Last edited:
The two special teams tackles mentioned by Bulldog, the downfield blocking, as well as the fantastic body control and hands, should all point to Mitchell having earned a spot on the roster. I really hope he does, anyway - unless they stash him on IR, there is exactly zero chance he makes it past waivers, with what he's shown in preseason.

there is exactly zero chance he makes it past waivers, with what he's shown in preseason.

Absolutely...he'd be gone in an instant. No way we can let a talent like that walk. We'll keep five WRs, so we have a spot for him. Hackett will be gone and Eloi and Shelton will have to hope for a spot on the practice squad.

Absolutely...he'd be gone in an instant. No way we can let a talent like that walk. We'll keep five WRs, so we have a spot for him. Hackett will be gone and Eloi and Shelton will have to hope for a spot on the practice squad.

What a difference a week makes. Eight days ago, I was convinced he could make it to the Practice Squad. Now, I'm certain he would never make it through waivers and I'm convinced he'll be one of 53.

Great to see another late round draft pick working out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.