• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Legend of John Beck Grows...

Leave Britany ALONE!

I mean ... give JB a CHANCE!

Kinda refreshing to see someone step up in all this mess, even if it's folly.

This guy has the fire in him to be a starting QB in the NFL! The question is does he have the talent.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

John Beck makes Chuck Norris carry his shoulder pads and helmet after practice.

John Beck doesn't need shoulder pads and a helmet ...

Chuck Norris just likes to hang around him.

Don't know if this has been posted before, but it's a good read, and makes Beck fairly intriguing in my opinion.

Emerging NFL Talents: QB John Beck

Prologue

Once upon a time there was a Division I college quarterback. He had the minimum physical dimensions for NFL consideration, but he wasn’t an athletic phenomenon. The school he played for was a major program, but it was not a known commodity for quarterbacks. The lack of these quality bullet points on this player’s resume contributed to a lower draft stock. A noted exception were those who study film closely. These tape grinders saw a quarterback with an exceptionally quick release, good accuracy, and solid decision-making. Some of these analysts, (specifically this one) rated this quarterback among the top 3-4 in this class.

It didn’t make much of a difference. The quarterback was a sixth-round pick for a team that needed a better passer. But as with most sixth-round picks, that quarterback was waived. The team didn’t regarded him as a player to develop. While this is speculation on my part, said player likely didn’t receive enough reps to even make an impression. Six years later, the team that cut our hero made a trade for a signal caller who turned this franchise around – much in part to a new head coach who I think might have taken a greater interest in our hero if the timing were right. But reality dictated that for the next five years this team would falter in large part to inconsistent quarterbacking.

Our hero got picked up by a divisional rival, at team with a quality veteran pocket passer in the sunset of his career. Ironically, this team drafted a quarterback the following season via a blockbuster trade with another team that used these picks to select two future Hall of Famers. The first of these elite players would be traded five years later to the team that originally drafted our hero in the sixth round. The team that traded away these two picks only kept our sixth-round hero on the practice squad for two weeks before dumping him.

By season’s end, our hero was signed to another team’s practice squad in the same conference. In total, his rookie year consisted of a training camp with one team and four weeks of practice squad time with two other organizations. Fortunately for our hero, the third organization re-signed him at the end of his rookie year and he spent his second season as a third-string quarterback.

Based on what happened thus far, it doesn’t sound like much a career was in store for Marc Bulger. But by 2003 our hero, who was drafted and cut by the Saints and picked up for two weeks by the Falcons, led the St. Louis Rams to a 12-4 record and he was selected as the Pro Bowl’s MVP in 2004. Despite a beginning to a career that seemed to indicate he’d be completing more insurance claim forms than passes, in 2005 Bulger reached 1000 completions faster than any quarterback in history.

From his twitter feed:

Dan Hellie said:
John Beck just tried to get into #redskins park & was turned away, for now. New security kid @ gate to beck: your name again sir?

lol.gif

What bothers me about Beck is that Ozzie Newsome had a year to watch John in practice and camp and was still willing to sell him to the Redskins for less than a ham sandwich in Doug Dutch. Dutch had little chance of making the Ravens roster.

Beck has a limited arm and that is going to be very hard to overcome.

The fact he came into the league at 26 and is already 30 is another point against him.

I'll keep saying it. Thing that worries me about Beck is that he provides Shanahan a living, breathing opportunity to show everyone just how much smarter he is than them. Could Beck prove to be a decent placeholder until we find someone with a real future? Yeah. Is he the greatest diamond in the rough we've stumbled upon since Rich Gannon? Uh....nah....I don't think so. But I worry Shanahan thinks he just so clever he can turn him into that guy.

Last edited:
What bothers me about Beck is that Ozzie Newsome had a year to watch John in practice and camp and was still willing to sell him to the Redskins for less than a ham sandwich in Doug Dutch. Dutch had little chance of making the Ravens roster.

I'm not saying Beck is going to be great but I wouldn't old Ozzie's opinion of the guy against him. Ozzie is a pretty good judge of talent, no question, but he seems to struggle with finding "the guy" for that QB spot. I'm not even sure Flacko is going be "the guy" there now.

Beck has a limited arm and that is going to be very hard to overcome.

The fact he came into the league at 26 and is already 30 is another point against him.

I watched videos, and his arm didn't seem to be an issue. He actually seemed to lead his receiver nicely on the long ball most of the time. Looked fairly accurate, and good pocket presence. I saw more drops by the receivers then inaccurate short and intermediate throws. A few of the clips give good examples of his ability to avoid, or step up in the pocket, and actually scramble effectively.

I don't see him as a world beater, but he could be an answer for a few seasons while we build.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.