• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

that slender reed

See, I just can't shake the feeling that he still is ...
I pretty much shook the feeling somewhere around the second Gibbs II year. Heard it enough times, from enough people--some 'in the room', some not--that I got past the conventional fan (and even still some media) wisdom that still says, "I don't care what anybody sez, I know Dan Snyder's playing fantasy football." :)

For the record, I'm not saying Snyder doesn't still take at least too high profile looking a role from time to time (thinking of the way the Lance Briggs flirtation was reported a couple years ago) ... just that I don't think he's in any meaningful, regular way, contributing to the scouting/personnel side of things.

And I also don't believe, as many still seem to (and you sound like you may be one of them), that Dan Snyder is the one driving the bus on personnel moves. To me that's been a dead, disproven issue for several years. For better or worse, Vinny Cerrato is the head personnel guy. And it's been written over and over again how personnel decisions at Redksins Park are vetted exhaustively through every level of scouts, VC's office, coaches, and yes, even Dan Snyder, who weighs in on the financial side.
Well, I can sort of buy that. Gibbs and Williams were clearly in charge of personnel during Gibbs second stint here. And Jpe Gibbs is the one person in the universe that I just couldn't see Snyder trying to pull his usual hijinks with.

However, after Gibbs left I have to say that it seems that Cerrato is now running the show, for the most part, probably for the first time since he got here. I say "for the most part" because let's face it, the offseason attempts to dump JC had all the hallmarks of a Snyder move-impetuous, poorly handled, and done without thought of how a failure (either to get Cutler/Sanchez or if they busted) might impact the team down the road.

So far, I give Cerrato credit for restructuring our F.O. by bringing in Brown and Campbell and I assume, being independent of Snyder in making most of the personnel moves. Likewise, I give Snyder credit for staying as hands-off as he's probably able.

As I mentioned in another post, the increase in our draft "hit rate" seems to be a good sign of this. Let's just hope it really is a sign of a change in management structure and not just dumb luck over the past couple of drafts. :paranoid:

Hello everyone, I have skimmed over some of the various comments that have been posted above and I feel implied to add my 2 cents. I am a young buck, approaching my 24 birthday later this year in December. That said, although I was alive and present on this earth for our 2nd and 3rd super bowls, by no means was i able to "take it in", experience it completely and understand what was going on. My point: I am of the generation that has seen a majority of losing, and much less winning. So for any of my fellow Skins fans, especially ones that are fortunate enough to have been here during our glory days, I am disgusted to hear that people are considering not following the team; taking off their colors. NO EFFING WAY!!!! Look, I follow the team passionately, so I can sit here and say taht I have felt the pain and frustration we have all felt over the past decade and more, and I for one am not giving up. I refuse to stop rooting for my team, and I will always bear the Burgunday and Gold colors; I just hope that while I'm doing it, I get some quality teams (and hopefully some championships) to experience and cheer on. My point to everyone, please don't give up hope for our skins. Don't throw in the towel on our Skins. Yes, times can be good, and times can be horrible, but we are a part of Redskins Nation! That means something to me, and I will never throw in the towel. Bitch and moan and express the full range of emotions that comes with being a passionate fan? ABSOLUTELY, I ENCOURAGE THAT. But never give up. Hey, sometimes you gotta' protect yourself; i.e. if we all are honest and know that we have a crappy team, don't go on blind hope that the Skins are going to win the super bowl in a given year and set yourself up for heartbreak. (Not saying that has anything to do with this years team). But blind, irrational hope is retarded. Either way, don't throw in the towel. Represent the Skins with pride. Sooner or later, we will return to greatness, so you better stick around to be there when we get to the top of the mountain. This is not intended to attack anyone that may or may not plan on following the team for the rest of their lives, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but this is how i feel. Later. HTTR!!!

in a less florid way...it struck me yesterday that all the puffery around the Redskins I used to sop up - the daily press reports; injury news; coaching blather; dickering with other fans - I just can't watch it anymore. it's become white noise for me. I wait for the shows to arrive and then I'm channel surfing within minutes - just as I have eben doing with nightly news for the last 3 years. So, it was natural to wonder "what keeps me coming back at all? and...why the change in disposition? aside from birthright obligations...why do I track this team every year, every weekend, every Sunday?" because I can focus on a little piece of reality that - in its purest execution - isn't corrupted by all the political posturing and self-interested, power mongering BS that is our national lives these days. I can tune out all the extraneous crappola and watch a synthesis of teamwork AND individual excellence. I can get lost in it and not have to think"what are they really after? why are they not laying their cards on the table when everyone knows they hold a losing hand". escapism? yup. emotion that is purer? yup. thinking that isn't polluted by constant values propositions? yup.

You hit the nail right on the head with this post. I was the same way, I'd eat up every bit of news I could on the Redskins. Now I can careless, all I want to see is a winning product on the field. I've had enough of the feel good stories that never pan out. How we are working on our downfield attack or the better yet.. the annual anointing a player the next biggest thing and he'll have 10 catches this year.

I don't care about all the hype, I just want results. I've been burned too many times with the talk of how good we can be... RESULTS MATTER!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.