• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Washington Times: 10 Observations from [Informal] Redskins Minicamp

Lanky Livingston

Lorenzo Alexander continues to show why he is a fan favorite. Dropped down to 255 to play inside linebacker? Beast mode! I can't wait to see him run downhill and drop the hammer on a RB coming up the gut, like he does on special teams.

---
1. Rex Grossman’s ball jumps out of his hands a little quicker than John Beck’s. Grossman’s spirals were tighter. Beck rarely threw tight spirals. What does this mean? Don’t know (anyone remember Billy Kilmer’s passes?). But that’s what we saw. Remember, too, that there’s no rush. Grossman had a rep in Chicago for always looking sharp in 7 on 7s. The games? Not so much.

2. Beck threw a wounded duck downfield that was intercepted by Kevin Barnes. But he also threw a 50-yard pass to Terrence Austin. Wouldn’t get too excited over anything with the QBs in May, good or bad. That position is all about what you do when the pocket collapses. But this does not look like Sonny vs. Billy, the sequel.

3. NFLPA boss DeMaurice Smith watched the workout and met with the players for about 15 minutes afterward, answering their questions about the lockout. Smith, in a rarity, declined to speak with the media. But the players liked the opportunity to talk with him. “That uncertainty lingers,” Beck said, “so you want to know what is happening.”

4. Corner DeAngelo Hall said he still hopes that no games will be missed. “We have a pretty significant game on 9-11, hopefully we can give the fans what they want to see, which is American football on the anniversary of that tragic event. Hopefully we can be ready for that game. Could it not be? Absolutely. We might be sitting here doing the same thing we’re doing right now.”

5. Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander worked at inside linebacker and would like to add that to the positions he’s capable of playing. Last season, at 270 pounds, he was too heavy for that spot. Now he weighs 255 pounds. That would be quite a road, going from DT to OLB to ILB. He had solid coverage on a couple routes down the middle, though one resulted in a completion to Chris Cooley. But one thing to say about Alexander: He finds any way he can to get on the field.

6. The only rookies who did not attend were second-round pick Jarvis Jenkins and sixth-round receiver Aldrick Robinson. Hard to get a read on the rookies because they don’t know the plays yet; will get a better feel for them over the next couple days. It was weird to see guys introduce themselves. And London Fletcher, who ran the session, made sure the rookies knew their place. After the practice ended, and after many interviews had been given, some of the agility ropes still lay on the ground. Fletcher called out to the “Nebraskas” – Roy Helu and Niles Paul – and asked them, “Why are these still on the ground?” And receiver Leonard Hankerson will be a fun guy to cover. Why? Because of this: “I always speak highly of myself,” he said.

7. Guard Maurice Hurt needs to tone his body before training camp, though one of the knocks on him according to Pro Football Weekly was that he was too "fleshy". So maybe he's always played that way. Still, can't imagine that way will work too long; not if you're a seventh-rounder.

-------------
Click link for the rest.

Kerrigan getting high praise from Fletch:

Fletcher was impressed with first-round pick Ryan Kerrigan. “He looked good. He looked natural in coverage. He didn’t make any mental errors when he was supposed to rush or cover.

If Zo lost that much weight, I think he will be starting at ILB if we dont add anyone. I think even at 265-270 he would have been a better Plug type Buck that rocky and would help free up London. I have to say dropping from almost 3 bills to 250 in 2 seasons couldnt have been easy and kudos for him. and if Kerrigan can keep looking smooth in coverage, all we need is a NT and a DE. well and some corners to step up.

Another great sign - 41 guys have shown up for this informal workout. Most other teams haven't gotten close to this kind of turnout. For reference, the Ravens only had 25 show up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.