• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Ray Lewis: Brainiac

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
You really can't make this **** up.

Ray Lewis: NFL Lockout Could Cause Crime Spike

Ray Lewis, the manically intense middle linebacker from the Baltimore Ravens, will go down as one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history. But he might want to stay away from sociology.

In an interview with ESPN, Lewis suggested that the NFL lockout could cause a spike in crime. "Do this research," Lewis said. "If we don't have a season. Watch how much evil, which we call crime, how much crime picks up, if you take away our game. There's nothing else to do."

Lewis offered no evidence from prior work stoppages that crime rose when the NFL season shut down. "I don't know how he [Lewis] can make that kind of determination without having more facts," said New York Giants defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka, in response to Lewis' comments.

If the current dispute between owners and the players crept into the season, forcing the cancellation of games, the economic impact would be harsh for the stadium workers and local retail establishments who serve fans on game-day. There will be significant spillover effects. But would a bored populace turn to street looting because the Steelers aren't on TV?

Lewis, a passionate guy who loves the game, his teammates, and Baltimore fans, should be careful. For the most part, public opinion has sided with the players in this standoff. The NFL is booming, yet management wants to take money away from the players, to boost the bottom line. Any working stiff can relate to the union's gripe.

But once players start spouting nonsense, feelings can shift...

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/24/ray-lewis-lockout-is-a-public-safety-hazard/#ixzz1NHfcG35k

Last edited:
I'm willing to listen to his proof, if he has any studies to back this up. I never thought there could be any correllation between abortion and crime until I read Freakenomics, but there it was!

Having said that, I seriously doubt there is anything in what he says. Also, is he saying that NFL players would commit the crimes bc they're bored, or that the fans would bc we are bored? If the former, that doesn't speak very well about his teammates does it?

Goal, I guess my take is that even if he were to produce some scholarly, peer-reviewed study that irrefutably links the temporary absence of professional football with an increase in crime, the fact that Ray Lewis decided to go on camera and point it out, in the way he did, with the word choices he used ... he still has to have scrambled eggs for brains to have gone there.

"Do this research," Lewis said. "If we don't have a season. Watch how much evil, which we call crime, how much crime picks up, if you take away our game. There's nothing else to do."

Oh. I see. This is a thread dedicated to mocking Ray Lewis then?

I'm on board now, sorry for the intrusion.

:)

He either pigeonholed all NFL players as criminals, or all NFL fans as criminals just waiting for an opportunity. I suppose if we did the research, crime skyrockets from around early February until around August sometime, eh Ray Ray?

To quote Principal Max Anderson:
"Mr. Lewis, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

I think he is extrapolating from personal experience.

the flaw in his argument is that it assumes NFL football is the only option for occupying one's leisure time.

Also, I saw on twitter today someone said domestic violence peaks during the superbowl. So Ray-Ray's hypothesis doesn't work for ALL crime.

I think the funniest thing about all of this is the fact he is completely wrong. I worked in corrections, and one thing I learned from classes we took, books we read, etc. was that it is a proven fact that when the weather is warm and the days are longer, crime skyrockets.

Sorry Ray, due to that fact, crime actually goes down during football season, and not because there's football, but because a lot of people don't like the cold. You know, that thing that you play 3-4 of your 5 months in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.