• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Invisible phone?

Dreamingwolf

The Rookie
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCARtauIS50&feature=player_embedded[/media]

This is wild stuff. Wonder how long till its common place or if its even practical?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCARtauIS50&feature=player_embedded[/media]

This is wild stuff. Wonder how long till its common place or if its even practical?
That is quite possibly the stupidest idea ever. I don't really even get the point.

If it ever does become common, its users will surely replace bluetooth users as the biggest douchebags in the free world :laugh:

I watched a TED talk on something similar, in computing. It was pretty cool stuff. This one just seems kinda...dumb?

That is quite possibly the stupidest idea ever. I don't really even get the point.

If it ever does become common, its users will surely replace bluetooth users as the biggest douchebags in the free world :laugh:

OK, I have to step in and defend BT users. It's a lifesaver, believe me. I have BT in my car through my stereo, and considering that most days I drive 4+ hours, have hands free is a necessity. And being able to type with both hands while in my office is needed as well.

Now, I will add that those douches who talk on their BT while in line at the bank or wherever, they can all go to hell. Very little pisses me off more than some asshat in line talking on his BT while also trying to order his lunch. Jerk. And the people who leave them in all the time? Yeah, get a life.

So in conclusion, I don't consider myself a douche (though more than half this board may think differently), and I use a BT. Not everyone who uses a BT is a douche. But many, many are.

OK, I have to step in and defend BT users. It's a lifesaver, believe me. I have BT in my car through my stereo, and considering that most days I drive 4+ hours, have hands free is a necessity. And being able to type with both hands while in my office is needed as well.

Now, I will add that those douches who talk on their BT while in line at the bank or wherever, they can all go to hell. Very little pisses me off more than some asshat in line talking on his BT while also trying to order his lunch. Jerk. And the people who leave them in all the time? Yeah, get a life.

So in conclusion, I don't consider myself a douche (though more than half this board may think differently), and I use a BT. Not everyone who uses a BT is a douche. But many, many are.

and its law that you have to be hands free while driving in CA. calling bluetooth users douchebags is a pretty broad and incorrect statement. some of us have that stupid thing in our ears because we dont want a 500 dollar fine.
Ok, allow me to clarify. I am fully aware that in very rare instances, or in states where it is required to be hands free, you don't have a choice.

The people I was referring to are the toolbags you see walking around the grocery store looking like they're talking to themselves, then they turn and you see their retarded earpiece.

And yes, every single person that uses a blootooth in a store, for any reason, is a complete douchebag, no question about it.

I had forgotten some states require you to be hands free - but my response to those regulations, is unless you are a doctor or lawyer, or have a loved one in the hospital or pregnant, there is nothing so important that you can't wait and have to use bluetooth.

Seems to me like if you are using it as an excuse to avoid a fine, spending $300 on one is kind of self defeating. Waiting until you get where you're going is free.

I agree with Extreme - using Bluetooth while you're driving, even in a state that doesn't require it, is absolutely fine. But once you get out of the car? Take that thing out of your ear, you look like a toolbag.

I have some severely mixed feelings here. On the one hand, I am an absolute geek when it comes to new technology of all types-I get the feeds and email alerts of several sources of info of the "what the hell have they gone and developed now?" variety-and mostly, I love it.

This, is one of the areas I have a lot of hesitation about-especially when it involves something as concentration-dependent as driving a car. Here's a post I found of a letter that was sent to the CEO of Ford Motor Co.last year that expfresses what I'm concerned about.

Open letter to Alan Mulalley, CEO of Ford Motor Company

April 25, 2010
Dear Alan,

When you made the jump to Ford after leading the Boeing Airplane Company out of the doldrums, I called our broker and asked her to buy some Ford stock. I figured that someone with a keen enough understanding of the market’s product needs, technology and manufacturing to create the 787 (despite problems that surfaced after your departure) was just the person to turn Ford around. The latest business reports suggest I may have been right. And yet I am deeply troubled by one of your signature initiatives there.

You created a striking product differentiator through Ford’s new Sync technology, the company’s in-car entertainment and communication system that visually and aurally integrates mobile calling, text messaging, navigation and business geo-location, news, sports and weather information, music, podcasts, and audio books. The dashboard displays and driver interface are impressive and sexy.

But, rather than yield to the competitive argument, “If we are not the frontrunner with web-enabled dashboards, other car makers will be,” lead the industry through a better understanding about how to deliver great driver utility and still make driving safer.

Alan, I implore you to change the direction Ford is taking with “Sync” before its cars start killing the people we love. I am terrified for my two children, one of whom has just started to drive.

Listen to the growing body of research that tells us that 60-mile-an-hour Internet cafés will be killers. Get in front of the growing body of laws designed to limit driving distractions: seven states have already enacted bans on hand-held devices, twenty prohibit texting, and more legislation is in the works (http://www.distraction.gov).

Studies show that cell phone use and texting – whether or not they are done hands free – distract drivers. The New York Times’ “Driven to Distraction” series points out that – based on a Harvard study – more than 2,600 traffic deaths and 570,000 injuries are caused each year by drivers just using cell phones. Multi-tasking between a panoply of business interactions, entertainment options, and driving enabled by Sync will make cars even more deadly.

From a January 6, 2010 Times piece: “This is irresponsible at best and pernicious at worst,” Nicholas A. Ashford, a professor of technology and policy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said of the new efforts to marry cars and computers. “Unfortunately and sadly, it is a continuation of the pursuit of profit over safety — for both drivers and pedestrians.”

My 17-year-old son – the one who just got his license — and I learned firsthand from a crash prevention driving course, the ONLY thing a driver should be doing is drive.

As a long-time flight instructor, I know that Boeing’s test pilots and Ford’s ground-based counterparts would agree. As an essential part of flight instruction, we introduce distractions to our students at critical times – during a bad-weather approach or while completing a pre-landing checklist – to drive home the dangerous consequences of even momentary distractions. Driving down a two lane road, where opposite direction traffic and telephone poles are only a few feet away, every instant is critical; the penalties just as dire.

Airplane companies have a deep understanding of human factors and safety. Please, translate the lessons from your former industry to your new one.

If Ford does not listen to objective research results and hides behind specious arguments that more technology will mitigate the dangers of car cockpit distractions, I will sell my stock. Further, I pray that I will not someday accuse Ford of callous negligence because a Sync-equipped car swerved for a split second into the oncoming lane and killed my loved one – or yours.

Sincerely,

Tom Witkin

http://tomwitkin.wordpress.com/

The newest innovations being introduced include voice recognition based SMS messaging and texting available while driving. I don'tknow about anyone else but when I'm composing a reply to something I read-or in this case it would be heard-I'm concentrating on what I'm going to say and the thought of that becoming a matter-of course for thousands of drivers cruising at 60-70+ mph on crowded interstates or busy streets during rush hour just doesn't strike me as a good path to be following.

the next generation of tech will be spoken comands, and yes for you thats all you need. The deaf and the mute will not reap the same rewards someone as fortunate as you will. This technology will allow them to controll their appliances, vehicles, or whatever device as you would with your voice. True in the now its useless to those who have a clear voice, but other than you who is to say that this technology is not good.

I also see applications in areas where people cant touch the device and voice is either not wanted or restricted by gear. Say an astronaut or a soldier. I think this technology birthed by microsoft with its kinect is good stuff, and will help people in the future.

the next generation of tech will be spoken comands, and yes for you thats all you need. The deaf and the mute will not reap the same rewards someone as fortunate as you will.
What are you talking about? I said nothing about deaf or mute people, and never implied anything about them either. I was totally referring to visualizing some jackass tapping his hand instead of his phone. That itself, I do believe is completely stupid technology. I never commented on the future of the technology, I commented on what the video was showing them doing with it.

This technology will allow them to controll their appliances, vehicles, or whatever device as you would with your voice.
As opposed to with their hands like everyone else on the planet? I'm confused, and I still don't get what it has to do with anything I said. You completely misunderstood why I thought it was stupid. I didn't know I had to go into so much detail. I figured commenting after a video was posted would make it clear that I was commenting on what the video was showing for 99% of it.

True in the now its useless to those who have a clear voice, but other than you who is to say that this technology is not good.
I didn't say it wasn't good, I said it was stupid. There is a difference. You're arguing based on something I wasn't even talking about.

Regardless of your opinion, I have one too, and my opinion is that tapping your hand instead of your phone is a stupid technology. You know, since that's what I said, even though you somehow twisted that into me being unsympathetic towards deaf and mute people. I really don't see how you got so derailed, but whatever.

I also see applications in areas where people cant touch the device and voice is either not wanted or restricted by gear. Say an astronaut or a soldier.
Again, I was strictly talking about the touching your hand instead of your phone, as was shown in the video. Now you're coming at me based on hypothetical scenarios that I never commented on :laugh:

I think this technology birthed by microsoft with its kinect is good stuff, and will help people in the future.
I agree. Groping your hand instead of your phone is not one of those good things though in my opinion, which was the whole point I made in my original comment before you took it and ran the opposite direction with it.

Oh, and not that it has anything to do with this thread, but in response to some of the comments you made, I have severe tinnitus in both ears, I am less than a hair from being legally blind, and will gladly show you my inch thick glasses to prove it. I am also disabled, I have cysts on my vocal chords, and a myriad of other issues. If I live long enough, I could end up blind, deaf, mute or any combination of the 3. So no, I'm not unsympathetic. That would be pretty ignorant, even for me.

It's still a stupid technology. Right now.

I like my $30 BT. The only time in my life I have to myself these days when I can catch up with friends, family, colleagues, etc., is the 45 mins to an hour on my commute home. Until I got the hands-free I wasn't about to be That Guy with his phone pressed to his ear navigating rush hour traffic.

I have been known to forget I have it in when heading into the grocery store real quick on the way home. If my phone rings, and I see it's my kid or girlfriend or parent, I'm answering it. Yes, right there in the store. I'll walk away from other customers so they don't have to listen, but I'm generally taking the call. If that makes me an asshat in someone's book, I figure I'm okay with that. That's their problem.

I also have no real problem with a technology that might one day let me still make the emergency (or even just plain wanted) phone call I need to even though I might have left my damn phone on my desk at work, or forgotten to charge it, or dropped it down the main business hole in the Don's John outside FedEx before a Redskins game when I'm trying to meet my group to maybe get my ticket from someone.

Technological advance. You never know where it's headed.

Just sayin'.

I have been known to forget I have it in when heading into the grocery store real quick on the way home. If my phone rings, and I see it's my kid or girlfriend or parent, I'm answering it. Yes, right there in the store. I'll walk away from other customers so they don't have to listen, but I'm generally taking the call. If that makes me an asshat in someone's book, I figure I'm okay with that. That's their problem.

Let me be clear: I answer my own phone in the grocery store, I don't care about that (except if you're in line, talking loudly, especially while interacting with the cashier - THAT'S rude and obnoxious). Its a cell phone, the whole point is so that you can talk anywhere.

I just think people look like tools walking around with the BT in their ear, that's all. :)

I hate how stupid the little thing looks sticking out of my ear. And I'm self-conscious about it ... I'll admit to turning my head sometimes so someone I know is watching me can actuall SEE the damn thing and know I'm not just a lunatic talking to himself. :)

my gosh man...all that over a paragraph he wrote?
What can I say, I like to be thorough :D

The fact I typed an obnoxiously long response to a short comment is completely irrelevant. If someone takes a dig at you based completely on something you never said nor implied, it takes more than a few words to clear the air sometimes.

And Mike, buddy, you should know this as well as anyone here, I've seen the same thing happen to you a few times. Nobody likes having words put in their mouth, and nobody likes to have false assumptions made about them.

I just think people look like tools walking around with the BT in their ear, that's all. :)
Likewise. I also have a feeling that you, like me, will never have your opinion swayed on that regardless of how people try to justify it.

These bluetooth grocery shoppers replaced the guys in the mid 90s that had multiple pagers and cell phones as the biggest douches. After watching this video, palm poking will be the next bluetooth.

personally I like to flail my arms when Im talking on it just so people think im crazy. if tht gets me out of line a few people faster Im all for it.
I take back everything I said, this is a brilliant reason for me to now invest in a bluetooth :laugh:

Better yet, I will talk to myself without the bluetooth, so when people go to look for it and see it isn't there, I get left alone :D

SVO

0.1 I am going to start enumerating my sentences for you, so that the SVO's(self victimization opportunity) can be better utilized.

Originally Posted by Dreamingwolf
the next generation of tech will be spoken comands, and yes for you thats all you need. The deaf and the mute will not reap the same rewards someone as fortunate as you will.

1.0(SVO) I never said you said anything, I was merely outlining how this can benefit people without the same gifts me and you have.

This technology will allow them to controll their appliances, vehicles, or whatever device as you would with your voice.

2.0(SVO) I must say here to your response, I and the rest of the world do not revolve arround you.

2.1(SVO) I made this statement to show the use this tech can have to equate voice commands to those who are not as fortunate as others to enjoy technology.

2.2(SVO) Where most people can say "Oven 350 degrees for 30 minutes", another could sign it with there hands with the appliances eye reading it.

True in the now its useless to those who have a clear voice, but other than you who is to say that this technology is not good.

true 3.0(SVO) Yeah, this one is one you can sick your teeth into.

3.1(SVO) I was saying just cause you have a myopic view, doesnt mean it doesnt have any value.

I also see applications in areas where people cant touch the device and voice is either not wanted or restricted by gear. Say an astronaut or a soldier.

4.0(SVO) Again I have to say, I do not revolve arround you and neither does the world.

4.1(SVO) I was merely seeing other applications of this technology, not how it would help you.

I think this technology birthed by microsoft with its kinect is good stuff, and will help people in the future.

5.1(SVO) What you responed to this wasnt even on topic of what I said, and then you spilled into making me feel for your situation.

5.2(SVO) We all have situations, and they all suck and it only bores the converstation by having pitty parties.

5.3(SVO) I understand you felt like I made you feel like I made you out to be unsympathic to people with situations, and you wanted to show you where there too to excuse your action.

5.4(SVO) I dont feel you needed to do that, cause I wasnt accusing you of that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.