• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: The end of the road could be near for McNabb

BGO

In the wake of the latest one-two punch against Donovan McNabb — a fresh round of withering (albeit misguided) criticism from boxer Bernard Hopkins and a report that McNabb refused to wear a wristband containing the offensive plays last season in order to preserve his image — one writer who covered McNabb’s up-and-down tenure in…
b.gif

More...

Still torn on this. I think McNabb can be productive, but all this wristband stuff really looks bad for him. He could retire, but I think the lockout works in his favor this time. With all the teams with rookie QBs who will have precious little time to learn e new playbook, practice with their team, etc., a vet like McNabb could potentially step right in and lead a team while the rookie spends time learning.

Not sure his ego could take being a placeholder, but if it could, that might be an ideal fit, ala Jeff Garcia.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Never thought of DMc5 as wanting to retire at this juncture, but anything is possible. Don't you think he wants to go out on a higher note or to a team that he thinks is a Super Bowl contender?

I'm sure he does, but how many legit SB contenders have unsettled QB situations?

True, but "legit SB contenders" and what "he thinks" could be two different things, but that is nitpicking on my part. :)

I was thinking more along the lines of going to a SB contender where he is willing to serve as a backup and be ready if the starter goes down with an injury.

You know, i was thinking the same thing, actually. Except it wouldn't surprise me if maybe he waited for a while, even into the beginning of the season. I bet Peyton and Brady are working out dilligently, but it would not shock me to find out that Rivers or Cutler weren't. If they aren't preparing, and the season has a sudden start to it because of the lockout, there might a few QB slots open up, and if that team feels like they're close, it might be a good fit for McNabb.

You know, i was thinking the same thing, actually. Except it wouldn't surprise me if maybe he waited for a while, even into the beginning of the season. I bet Peyton and Brady are working out dilligently, but it would not shock me to find out that Rivers or Cutler weren't. If they aren't preparing, and the season has a sudden start to it because of the lockout, there might a few QB slots open up, and if that team feels like they're close, it might be a good fit for McNabb.

hey there Goal!

agree that McNugget is looking for a SB contender. he needs that to cement his legacy and he's running out of time.

as for Peyton/Brady...isn't Brady recovering from surgery? what makes you think Rivers would not be working out? he's always struck me as a team oriented guy who was all in. in truth..I hope all of our opponents QBs are working the promotion/money trail and not working out!!!

hey there Goal!

agree that McNugget is looking for a SB contender. he needs that to cement his legacy and he's running out of time.

as for Peyton/Brady...isn't Brady recovering from surgery? what makes you think Rivers would not be working out? he's always struck me as a team oriented guy who was all in. in truth..I hope all of our opponents QBs are working the promotion/money trail and not working out!!!

I agree on Rivers, he is mired in an unfortunate situation in San Diego where his talents are, shall we say, "hobbled?" by other...difficulties.

And this statement-"I hope all of our opponents QBs are working the promotion/money trail and not working out!!!"-I definitely hope that is the case myself!:)

hey there Goal!

I dunno about Rivers, never gotten a good vibe off him since that yelling match with Cutler. Good point about Brady, I forgot about his injury, but I'm sure he is rehanging like crazy. Probably should have said Roethlisburger instead of Rivers. Big Ben seems more interested in outside activities than football sometimes.

As for Minny, Ryman, I personally don't think they're as close as they think they are. Minny would be a good landing spot for him if he is Ok being on a border line playoff team, but if he wants a SB contender, i don't think the Vikings are the answer.

I still think he's going to be riding the pine here. But I have no problem using him as trade bait for a guard or RT

This article shows how much of a joke PFT has become. "Withering criticism" from Bernard Hopkins? It was nothing but nonsense garbage coming from Hopkins, and should have been ignored.

The wristband? Bad form if true, but I don't think it makes him any closer or further from being out of here. That fate was sealed a long time ago.

minnesota would be a good fit based on the team they have.

Hey, look who's back!

I still think he's going to be riding the pine here. But I have no problem using him as trade bait for a guard or RT

do the Skins sink 10 mil to have this guy ride the pine? especially after all the money tubed on AH?

If #5 comes back...I think it has to be as a starter. I'm hoping for a 3 or 4 draft pick or a player trade for some promising depth O-lineman.

This article shows how much of a joke PFT has become. "Withering criticism" from Bernard Hopkins? It was nothing but nonsense garbage coming from Hopkins, and should have been ignored.

The wristband? Bad form if true, but I don't think it makes him any closer or further from being out of here. That fate was sealed a long time ago.

Hey, look who's back!

agree. however, he isn't assuming a leadership role during the lockout. and that carries impotrant symbolism in my mind. McNugget may need to go.....just for the team to move ahead.

agree. however, he isn't assuming a leadership role during the lockout. and that carries impotrant symbolism in my mind. McNugget may need to go.....just for the team to move ahead.

If the whole wristband-gate thing is true, one has to wonder how much of a leader he has ever been. My good buddy, a long-time Philly fan, was always complaining about McNabb's various "spats," and never thought much of him as a leader.

The more these things come out, the more obvious it is that Dawkins was the real leader of those teams, and Westbrook was the reason their offense "went." Yes, McNabb had his moments, but he's always been pretty inaccurate. Bang's McNabb simulator is still one of his funniest cartoons.

do the Skins sink 10 mil to have this guy ride the pine? especially after all the money tubed on AH?

If #5 comes back...I think it has to be as a starter. I'm hoping for a 3 or 4 draft pick or a player trade for some promising depth O-lineman.

If there is no salary cap? Who cares. Perhaps a valuable constant reminder to Danny and Shanny not to go that route again.

If the whole wristband-gate thing is true, one has to wonder how much of a leader he has ever been. My good buddy, a long-time Philly fan, was always complaining about McNabb's various "spats," and never thought much of him as a leader.

The more these things come out, the more obvious it is that Dawkins was the real leader of those teams, and Westbrook was the reason their offense "went." Yes, McNabb had his moments, but he's always been pretty inaccurate. Bang's McNabb simulator is still one of his funniest cartoons.

**** like this is why I have a hard time trusting Shanahan, still. I guess we should give some credit to Andy Reid for fleecing the entire league into thinking McNabb was a great QB, but it irks me that we traded so much for a bum who is inaccurate and has limited, if any, leadership skills.

I had thought early on that there would be a market of some sort for McNabb, but now I don’t think so. It looks like even though the Vikings might have some interest they’d be fools not to just wait for us to release him and get him then. We need to have the leverage of two interested teams to be able to swing some kind of deal for a decent player or draft pick, and at this point we don’t have that.

The only play we may have is to hold on to McNabb and wait to see if someone gets hurt early in the season and another team is desperate enough to make a move for him. that's a long shot. I think we are going to be SoL.

The more these things come out, the more obvious it is that Dawkins was the real leader of those teams, and Westbrook was the reason their offense "went." Yes, McNabb had his moments, but he's always been pretty inaccurate.

I agree. Westbrook was the man on those offenses. DM only needed to pitch and pop it to him which greatly improved his accuracy.

The only part of his game that ever scared anyone was his mobility. Once that was gone his value plummeted.

I think some are missing the point of the article, fallacious as it is. They are suggesting, based on the latest events, that he may retire. Once again, the speculation is being passed off as news so...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.