• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO.C.D.: Losing the Offseason

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Blame it on the family dog – but the stench lingering in the air around Ashburn, Virginia isn’t emanating from the golden retriever curled up under...

More...

Nice piece. But was I the only one struck at how much Boone knows about the blooming patterns of flowers?

:paranoid:

:)

I hope you're right. The draft restored a lot of the confidence I lost when the McNabb deal went south. I am hoping last season was an aberration, a HOF coach who came in and misjudged the talent level without being able to actually work with the guys he was going to coach.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Funny, I assumed it was going to be a piece about the lockout and the lead-balloon effect on our obsessive fandom.

Brother Boone was, as usual, one step ahead. :)

That said, I suppose discretion dictates we wait until after free agency to see if the Costanza "do the opposite" attitude extends beyond the draft. For some reason I can't quite shake the Larry Johnson/Willie Parker hangover yet.

* hic *

The silence at Redskins Park this winter has been damn near deafening. Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen didn’t trade away most of their draft picks before the crocuses bloomed. They haven’t flown in any mega-stars, signed anyone’s talented misunderstood malcontent, or tried to show the rest of the NFL just how smart they are. So far, it’s been an offseason of quiet stability resembling something akin to competence.

Without a free agency period that's a little misleading.

That said, I suppose discretion dictates we wait until after free agency to see if the Costanza "do the opposite" attitude extends beyond the draft. For some reason I can't quite shake the Larry Johnson/Willie Parker hangover yet.

* hic *

I'm playing wait and see. Both with regard to free agency and with regard to whether there'll be a season (and if so, will it be truncated).

I kind of took Boone's post as a "assuming the CBA stuff gets settled and FA happens and there's a normal(?) season" scenario statement.

If... no I'm going to force myself into an optimistic mindset and say when FA opens up I'm expecting major Redskin involvement-probably on several fronts. We will make NFL headlines. It will disconcert some no end but I still have a level of confidence, bolstered by a strategically competent draft, in whatever it is Allen/Shanahan are up to.

Free agency could be upon us at any moment - or it could be a while. Don't give up hope! The WP says that the Redskins could be very active in FA and I spent some idle time evaluating what the team may do. "R" equals (what I think) that the Redskins seem to be very interested. "P" is my personal choice. Granted, we won't get every player marked with those letters, but I do think this will be the most active FA season for the Redskins ever - once it gets underway.

QBs

John Beck is on the roster and Rex will probably sign again. So, who is the next QB on the roster? I'm thinking it could be Alex Smith. Vince Young will be released, but some reports which suggested that he could come to the Redskins seem to be far-fetched. Don't be surprised to see an UDFA like a Pat Devlin of Delaware making the practice squad. Smart money says Rex returns. Matt Hasselbeck is a distant possibility. Personally, I would like to see us sign Alex Smith.

Rex Grossman - probably stays
R - Matt Hasselbeck
R P - Alex Smith

RBs

No needs. We will sink or swim with the players and draftees currently on the roster. One or two UFDAs could be added for camp fodder.

WRs

Santana Moss will return and it is highly unlikely that he signs elsewhere. Anthony Armstrong will continue to be the long threat. Hankerson was a steal in the draft and could start sooner rather than later. Niles Paul could surprise too. The available players in FA are older and would not fit the current needs. The best guess is that one or two UFDAs will be added and the team will open the 2011 with the players they currently have, including Moss.

Santana Moss - probably stays

TEs

No needs. We will sink or swim with the players and draftees currently on the roster. One or two UFDAs could be added for camp fodder.

OL

The team is set at left tackle. Lichtensteiger looks to be set at LG or C, but we will keep him at LG for purposes of this discussion. Montgomery did a decent job at RG as the season progressed, but he is better suited as a backup. Jammal Brown could return at RT - he won't find a big market for his services out there. Rabach could go to a backup role as well - he would be a good mentor for younger players. In FA, the Redskins could look at Doug Free (if he is willing to shift to RT), Tyson Clabo, Marshal Yanda, Jared Gaither, and Davin Joseph. It wouldn't be surprising to see the team go after an UDFA center (there are two or three players that could be steals and may be able to start immediately) and a couple of UFDA guards. The best guess is that the Redskins could be very active in FA along the OL. Don't be surprised to see Ryan Harris in a Redskins uniform next year. He will probably be released or the Redskins make an Adam Carriker type of deal for him.

Doug Free
Tyson Clabo
Mashal Yanda
Jared Gaither
R P - Davin Joseph
R P - Ryan Harris
R P - Center from USC
R P - Center from TCU

DL

Carriker is set and seems to be settling in as a 3-4 DE. Jeremy Jarmon has dedicated himself in the weight room and could be in the rotation on a regular basis. Kedric Golston could stay and provide depth. Vonnie Holliday is probably gone and don't be surprised to see Phil Daniels close behind - he's a great guy, but youth is needed. With Albert Haynesworth, there is no telling what will happen, but let's consider him gone for purposes of this discussion. Jarvis Jenkins is a great 2nd round addition. Ma'ake Kemoeatu, Anthony Bryant, and rookie Chris Neild man the middle of the line. Look for this situation to be addressed in FA. Cullen Jenkins is believed to be interested in the Redskins and the feeling seems to be mutual. There are reports that Aubrayo Franklin could land in DC, but he comes with a buyer-beware label and this makes him iffy at best. Don't be surprised if the Redskins make a run at Stephen Bowen of the Cowboys. However, the smart money though could point to Barry Cofield of the Giants. Camp fodder could be added via UDFA.

R P - Cullen Jenkins - Look for him to be in a Redskins uniform
R P - Barry Cofield
R - Aubrayo Franklin
Stephen Bowen

LB

No needs. We will sink or swim with the players and draftees currently on the roster. One or two UFDAs could be added for camp fodder. However, Rocky McIntosh could be on the way out. There could be an outside chance that the Redskins will take a look at Paul Posluszny, but highly unlikely.

Paul Posluszny

CB

Carlos Rogers is believed to be on his way out the door. Phillip Buchanon could return, but in a backup role only. The team seems to be high on Kevin Barnes and he may be ready to start. A run at Nnamdi Asomugha is possible, but he may prove to be too expensive. Chris Carr and Josh Wilson of the Ravens could draw some interest, especially Wilson.

R P - Josh Wilson
Chris Carr
P - Nnamdi Asomugha

S

The Redskins have already made a move in the few days that we had a FA period - signing O.J. Atogwe. It is a major upgrade at that position. Look for Chris Horton to be released - he has done a disappearing act after having some impressive games as a rookie. LaRon Landry is set at SS. Macho Harris could step up and be in the rotation. No other needs other than camp fodder.

K

Graham Gano is the logical pick here, but a no-name will come in to push him a bit.

P

Look for a new punter on the roster. There are several to choose from.

ST

The Redskins were able to have multiple picks in the draft and this could help with ST depth.

Ultimately, who do I think will end up in a Redskins uniform? Here is what I think could happen:

Alex Smith - QB
Rex Grossman - QB, Returning (All but certain)
Santana Moss - WR, Returning (All but certain)
Davin Joseph - OL, A decent chance of obtaining
Ryan Harris - OL, Look for him to be in a Redskins uniform
Cullen Jenkins - DL, Look for him to be in a Redskins uniform
Barry Cofield - DL, A decent chance of obtaining
Josh Wilson - CB, A decent chance of obtaining
New Punter
New center via USC or TCU

Last edited:
nice post BB. do you have Rex returning in large part cuz no one else wants him? i.e., comes cheap for a year?

I don't know BB, although we have bookends at OLB we have little depth there and we need ILB help. Even if L. Alexander steps up, he's not that solid in pass protection. We are more than likely going to lose Rocky and have little to rely upon to back him up. He wants to go see how much he can make and was very ineffective in the 3-4 anyway. Blades? Jackson? Riley? I don't think so. I like Blades, but I am not sure if he cuts it in the 3-4. I want Posluzny in B&G, but the Bills placed a tender on him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e8d49b/article/bills-extend-wilson-wrotto-three-others-given-tenders

There are a few UDFA and at least one other FA LB who might not break the bank and could be solid in the middle, David Harris (NYJ) 27 . He could be a solid addition and some relief for the seemingly aging London Fletcher.

Nice piece. But was I the only one struck at how much Boone knows about the blooming patterns of flowers?

:paranoid:

:)

I confess I am in touch with my feminine side. Or as Ax delicately puts it, I am a ***** :)

I suppose discretion dictates we wait until after free agency to see if the Costanza "do the opposite" attitude extends beyond the draft. For some reason I can't quite shake the Larry Johnson/Willie Parker hangover yet.

* hic *

Yep. Some of my focus may be equal parts reality and 'wishful thinking'.

Without a free agency period that's a little misleading.

I'm playing wait and see. Both with regard to free agency and with regard to whether there'll be a season (and if so, will it be truncated).
I kind of took Boone's post as a "assuming the CBA stuff gets settled and FA happens and there's a normal(?) season" scenario statement.

If... no I'm going to force myself into an optimistic mindset and say when FA opens up I'm expecting major Redskin involvement-probably on several fronts. We will make NFL headlines. It will disconcert some no end but I still have a level of confidence, bolstered by a strategically competent draft, in whatever it is Allen/Shanahan are up to.

That's absolutely a valid position in my opinion. One thing that makes this blog entry a little misleading is that I actually wrote it as a pre-draft article for Hail! Magazine for an issue that never got published. We were still in watch-and-wait mode in terms of the NFL lockout during that stretch, so that's probably why it sounds more hopeful than maybe it should. I thought most of the article was still relevant so I just made my pre-draft comments into post-draft ones.

And BB - wow - that is the kind of post that people should be 'blogging'. Don't forget that feature folks - you see a post you really like, hit that 'Blog This Post' button!

Thanks for all the kind words. Did some of the research last night and quickly wrote it this morning - just fixed a few typos. I really believe that we will be very active in FA - we'll see what happens when it finally arrives.

I didn't realize that Posluzny was tendered - my mistake. We will probably give our younger players a chance at ILB. Lorenzo too. I think we are finished addressing LB for this offseason.

As for Rex, I really think he wants to stay and be a part of what happens here in the next few years. He was at the player practices that London organized.

BB earns 'Featured Post' rights in the latest issue of our BGO Community Newsletter :)

BB...so...vis rex....and you know why I'm really asking... he said with a sigh ......do the Skins want him? They have floated recently that Beck is the guy...correct? If so, that implies Rex's audition didn't go as well as hoped. Or was the Beck stuff in the papers just a "everyone gets a chance" standard media statement? trying to parse through what's going on.

as an aside...who would you like to see - or expect - standing behind center?

again.....very nice post. kudos for time invested and product quality!

Thanks for making it the featured part of the email. I saw it earlier and was really surprised.

As for Rex - I'm thinking this is a motivational tool for both players. It is very possible that Beck is ready. If that's the case, we know Rex will be a good backup with knowledge and performance in this system. Given the success that the Shanahans have had with QBs, I'll trust in what they are saying.

Thanks for making it the featured part of the email. I saw it earlier and was really surprised.

As for Rex - I'm thinking this is a motivational tool for both players. It is very possible that Beck is ready. If that's the case, we know Rex will be a good backup with knowledge and performance in this system. Given the success that the Shanahans have had with QBs, I'll trust in what they are saying.

got it...never occurred to me to think of Rex as a backup to Beck.

If Grossman is on the roster, I'll bet anyone here that by Game 3, he's the starter, and never relinquishes the job.

I think we can say that Rex Grossman > Brian Griese. If Mike Shanahan can coach Griese to a pro bowl appearance, then Rex should have no problems with this offense. Every QB that has played under the coaching of both Shanahans has gone to the pro bowl - with one exception. If that exception would've humbled himself to a wrist/cheat band, then there would've been no exception.

If Beck is everything that the Shanahans believe, we may not worry about QB after next season. Having two quality starters and another veteran backup is more than we have had in a long time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../20/AF1yJt7G_blog.html?wprss=football-insider

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...confirms-the-redskins-are-still-the-redskins/

In the above links, the Redskins have confirmed that they will be very active in FA and last week I posted (position by position) what we could see when football returns. I want to update that list based on some recent articles that have been posted throughout the internet world.

QBs

John Beck - Already on the roster.
Rex Grossman - Based on comments, he will be back.
Several FAs to choose from and one or two UDFAs.
Alex Smith - Will return to the 49ers.
Matt Hasselbeck - Will return to the Seahawks.

WRs

Santana Moss - He will return.
Brandon Banks - Don't be surprised if he is cut.

OL

Ryan Harris - Look for him to be in B&G.
Davin Joseph - The Redskins will make a run at him.
Jammal Brown - He may return if better options are not found.
UDFA Centers from USC and TCU could be signed.

DL

Cullen Jenkins - Look for him to be in a Redskins uniform.
Aubrayo Franklin - Redskins will make a run at him, better than average chance of obtaining his services.
Barry Cofield - The backup option if Franklin is not signed?

CB

Nnamdi Asomugha - Redskins could be gearing up for a run at him.
There are several options at CB and any one of them will be courted if Asomugha is not in B&G.
Carlos Rogers - He is gone. Recent comments and his horrible personal finances will see to it that he is history.

K

Graham Gano will be the kicker, but a no-name will come in to push him a bit.

P

We will have a new punter. There are several choices.

Who do I think will be in a Redskins uniform in 2011 (or when football resumes)?

Rex Grossman
Santana Moss
Ryan Harris
Davin Joseph
Jammal Brown
Cullen Jenkins
Aubrayo Franklin
Yet to be named QB
UDFA QB
UDFA Center
Yet to be named CB
Yet to be named P

Who do I think will be cut/not returning?

Brandon Banks
Rocky McIntosh
Philip Daniels
Carlos Rogers
Chris Horton
Josh Bidwell
James Davis
Mike Furrey
Malcolm Kelly
Albert Hayneswoth
Stephon Heyer
Artis Hicks
Donovan McNabb
Derrick Dockery
Mike Williams
Roydell Williams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.