• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

life never ceases to amaze me

fansince62

so....my daughter attends a Catholic School grades K-8. The family jets over to the school tonight for the annual songfest: each class sings 2-3 songs. enjoyable and funny at the same time...if you know what I mean. my daughter had a solo role out front singing some hip hop song I couldn't make out....but our little 12 year old (going on Facebook enabled 16) was...of course...wonderful.

anywho....right before her debut.....the fifth grade classes come out and sing John Lennon's "Imagine". What the hay? I'm not Catholic....but that tune in a Catholic School?

The world really is wobbling on its axis precariously.

Every star started somewhere. Sounds like a cool night, bro. Few roles in life are more enjoyable than "proud papa."

Every star started somewhere. Sounds like a cool night, bro. Few roles in life are more enjoyable than "proud papa."

spot on HH. to be honest....her singing skills aren't going to push her into American Idol anytime soon. But she lit up that auditorium like nobody's business. that magic glow or whatever it is.....she has it.

"... and no religion, too."

Sign of our times indeed, brother.

The school's chain of command types haven't listened to much popular radio I think.

I'm catholic, went to catholic school from K to 8, and while I'm not as active as I should be in my church, I really don't see a problem.

In it's literal state, Lenon wasn't saying there isn't, just saying imagine if there wasn't. Even the catholic church knows that from the earliest days of recorded history, religion has been the cause of many conflicts, at the cost of countless lives.

The song in it's own way is about peace, love, tolerance... many of the things the fisherman preached about.

Pete nailed it. Set aside that one line, you couldn't find a popular song that echoes Christianity's more noble tenets any better.

May the world live as one someday :)

amazing grace is one of the best songs ever when you hear it on bagpipes. its haunting and moving all at the same time..

The story behind the auther of Amazing Grace is awesome also

I have forgotten the name of the album I heard it on, it's been close to 35 years ago now, but it was done by a Scots bagpipe group at an Anglican cathedral with the addition of the cathedral's large pipe organ. The cut of Amazng Grace started as a single bagpipe, a very haunting sound, the second verse added the rest of the bagpipes, perhaps 30 or 40 but the third verse added that magnificent pipe organ the the sound of the massed pipes.

I have never listened to a piece of music that sent almost debilitating chills up and down my spine the way that did. Stunning doesn't even approach the effect it had. I will never forget the experience-it was amazing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfDq4fwWsOw[/media]

I can't remember what the name of the show was, but Nell Carter did a haunting rendition of Amazing Grace in a episode. I don't think I've heard any better in my life.

I've always loved it on the pipes. The last time I heard it live was in Old Town Alexandria. They had a 15 or 16 year old kid that had just joined their corps who did the first verse solo, with the entire corps coming in on the second verse. Just amazing.

They marched over to Pat Troy's, and did about a dozen songs in the bar. Think about 20 some odd pipers in an enclosed room...

Amazing Grace on bagpipes, Taps at a funeral, and the Star Spangled Banner sung the way it was written are all very moving.

Pete nailed it. Set aside that one line, you couldn't find a popular song that echoes Christianity's more noble tenets any better.

May the world live as one someday :)

disagree. intent matters. it was inappropriate.

it's also well...no other way to put it....silly. live as one? ok...sounds grand....exactly what does that mean? especially coming from a guy who lived in a grand ole mansion with acres and acres of land? then moved on to his million dollar Dakota digs. samo samo. we should all live as one...except me (e.g., Lenon, others) of course.

we can get into Lennon's pronounced Mommy/Oedipal issues at some other time as well... :) ...... loved his music. but one messed up character.

my gosh man..do you have a soft part in you AT ALL? did you laugh when ol yeller died and cheered at the end of Brian's Song?

what's that got to do with the appropriateness of singing an anti-religious song at a Catholic School? here's an example of why I don't find the argument very convincing: suppose someone writes the following and sings it at the next NAACP convention: "imagine there's no Black culture. just all of us living as one.....it's easy if you try" it's an attack on the very identity of the audience. just cuz someone window dresses an offensive idea with pretty ideas....doesn't make the offensive idea any less so.

and Lennon did have a mommy complex!

anti religious?

hes just saying to imagine that..not that there is no God. Youre on a good one today man...you need a hug?

doing fine Mike.

Lennon's attitudes toward religion are well documented. he's clearly attacking the institution of religion. the words are what they are. I'm not debating whether he is right or wrong or why he felt that way. it's an inappropriate lyric for a Catholic audience. and many of the parents in the audience saw it that way as well.

btw....I'm not even Catholic...or religious!

yeah, this is strange because I AM religious and defending him. The song Imagine is in no way a slight on God. He is merely stating that we should live as good people regardless if there is a heaven or isnt one. This song is like Proverbs in the Bible as to where it is just telling you how to be a good human being and how great it could be.

you're right that it is not an attack on God: real or ideational. but as I said...this is an attack on religious institutions.

the other issue...which I hinted at but don't really want to get into...is that Lennon's notion of "good" may not be someone else's. there are competing values. human history has been one long, bloody drama over competing notions of what is "good".

religious institutions need attacking. even Christ himself attacked religious institutions.

and Im pretty sure that he is speaking on a universal language of good here. being good to each other, no war, no hate...those are things in which we can all agree to.

unless of course you need to go watch ol yeller for a good laugh ;)

may be. but not at a songfest, in a gym, with kindergarteners through primary school graders...and parents who pay the bills....in attendance.

as for old yeller......I have two dogs that haven been costing me an arm and a leg lately for every dang malady they come down with! yesterday it was $184 to treat an eye infection on the smallish dog. couple weeks ago it was $250 for ear treatments on the larger dog. those dogs get more attention, affection and better health care than I do!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.