• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Willie Parker statement - Redskins Culture

Sorry, but for me to pay any more attention to this I need some specifics to lend it much weight. That’s not burring my head in the sand it’s just being realistic. Without more of the context these statements alone can’t tell us much of anything. “There’s too much playing around.” Ok, by whom? The coaches? The players? Which players? There just isn’t enough meat on the bone of either statement. It doesn’t even call to the fact that neither guy could stick here which has to be considered.

Even if you want to take both statements as gospel it would take a coach and GM a couple of years to clear the decks and change the culture. Maybe that process is under way. The guys from the last two drafts and free agency have been more “go to work” type guys than flashy guys. Cooley and Portis are goofs to be sure. Other than that I don’t see too much playing around. I don’t see Shanahan as a “play around” type guy or someone who would put up with much of that. He strikes me as a bit of a red ass to be honest.

Perhaps a little context is in order.

Yes, the Redskins have been to some unquantifiable extent less that stellar as compared to other NFL teams over the past decade in terms of strict professionalism in the ranks.

Does anyone disupte that?

Mike Shanahan has a well-earned reputation as an organizational hard-ass; a guy who does NOT tolerate bull**** in his locker room ... not as compared to other NFL coaches.

Slow Willie Parker was here one year. Shanahan's first.

If I'm still hearing players talk about a lax attitude a year or two from now, I'll sit up and take notice--even if it's from a disgruntled type. For now I'm feeling pretty good about the overall level of professionalism I see slowly permeating the organization from the top down.

Non sense. I told you above. Stop looking to the 80's for the recipe to success. Using Riggo as a success story would have been relevent twenty years ago. Not today.

I'd argue that his short time with the team and his ability to notice the problem is an even larger issue. People need to stop making this about Willie Parker and make it about the Washington Redskins. He's just the source. Tryon said the same thing. This type of thing doesn't keep getting repeated if its not somewhat accurate.

I don't think I ever said partying was the only issue. Nor did anyone else. But I'd say that it's pretty credible when one guy is saying the Colts/Skins are entirely different because the Colts are about "work" and the 'Skins are about "play" (Tryon) and another says that the 'Skins party too much that there is some credence.

Too many are burying their head in the sand on this one.

who said anything about recipe to success? the point actually being made is that there is no ineluctable relationship between partying and losing. it's obvious that the partying that was done didn't get in the way....that the differentiating factor was dedication to excellence and winning.

KDawg....I think Shanahan is changing the culture and I don't believe cats like Armstrong are out there partying. He's cleaning house and rebuilding the foundation. We can go on forever on this theme. IMO.....the problem with the Skins for a long time has been the focus on self. the team became a half way house for FAs to pocket some big paydays on their way to other teams or out of the league. it hasn't been a team for a long, long time. that's why...while I disagree with some of the moves Shanahan has made...I think he is our last, best hope. he does have a formula and it has worked. he has a large ego...but what the heck....that may be what it takes to see this through. Parker is playing for the Virginia Destroyers - he couldn't even make a team that finished 6-10. this may be some latent animosity coming out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be heresy around here but in a thread on this very topic at ES, a poster with "insider" information suggested some surprise cuts/trades once the labor agreement goes through (if it does).

Did not speculate who it was, though.

That same "insider" also says that several players on the team smoke pot. And a few specifically smoke pot before every game to "make them feel relaxed."

Which might explain the inability to catch balls thrown directly into their hands for one particular player.

They party...no doubt about it. That same insider also wrote an account of one player being so high on the way to practice, that he forgot the directions and a 15 minute ride took him 1 1/2 hours.

I believe 95% of this is a Dan issue. The players loved JKC. They loved trying to win for the old guy.

Does anyone really say "let's win this one for Dan?" I don't get that feeling.

Is this the same insider who was certain Byron Westbrook would be released "within a few hours"? And carries a hammer?

:)

Does anyone really say "let's win this one for Dan?" I don't get that feeling.
I know Dan's done nice things for the community, but he just doesn't seem like the kind of guy you want to go out of your way for.

hmmmm........F=MA. pretty high (pun intended) in the NFL. I find it hard to believe players would take such a huge risk with their personal and economic welfare. and I still question whether...as Parker implied...this is a team-wide phenomenon. again...I think the core problems reach to how the team has been run over the years.

either way...Parker can get lost. we're rebuilding and hopefully will be among the elite in 2-3 years. Shanahan is changing the foundation - the culture - that is critical to all of this. I have to hang my hat on that....or this is just more wasted time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.