• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Regarding Henry...

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
As I watched Friday's draft activity, and my beloved Skins trading down, down, down...I moved from encouraged to concerned. More does not equal better - that was my mindset. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule that the higher the round selected the more the player's promise - but my confidence in the Redskins ability to find solid mid to late round talent has been shaken over the years.

That being said, I think Henry (yes, our Henry) was correct when he chided me earlier today for criticizing what should have been a welcome departure from the failed draft strategies of the past.

Looking at the guys we drafted after I raised the red flag about potentially excessive trade downs:

4 105 Roy Helu RB Nebraska
5 146 Dejon Gomes DB Nebraska
5 155 Niles Paul WR Nebraska
6 177 Evan Royster RB Penn State
6 178 Aldrick Robinson WR Southern Methodist
7 213 Brandyn Thompson DB Boise State
7 217 Maurice Hurt T Florida
7 224 Markus White DE Florida State
7 253 Chris Neild DT West Virginia

We got a couple of RB's whom there seems little doubt Shanahan will work his magic on (I'm guessing at least one of them sticks, and possibly both), we found a couple of value WR's, one of whom (Robinson) will almost certainly be a special teams standout, and we found more potential help for a defense that was woefully porous in 2010.

I have major concerns about the offensive line, and the fact that Maurice Hurt was our only o-line draftee. But as Om pointed out - we must have plans in Free Agency to address needs there, and as others have rightfully stated - we weren't going to fill all our needs in this draft.

All in all, I have to say that brother Henry may well have been right. This may have been the best-managed and most disciplined and well thought out draft in a decade. When the sports mediots are giving you props, you know you didn't have a bad draft.

All Hail Henry :cheers:

This is one of those moments when I don't have a decent comeback. :)

You are most gracious, Boone.

I'm just glad the Redskins seem to be heading in the right direction after all these years.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I have major concerns about the offensive line, and the fact that Maurice Hurt was our only o-line draftee. But as Om pointed out - we must have plans in Free Agency to address needs there, and as others have rightfully stated - we weren't going to fill all our needs in this draft.

All Hail Henry :cheers:

This was my thought as well. I was disappointed they didn't use one of their earlier picks on the O-line.

And All Hail Henry!

:allhail:

I'm just glad the Redskins seem to be heading in the right direction after all these years.

Well, like most humans, sometimes I am gracious.

Other times, I'm just a **** :)

Well, like most humans, sometimes I am gracious.

Other times, I'm just a **** :)

You're a Marine, Boone. It's normal.

Good job Henry. Your steady hand helps stave off the panic of something really new and "different" going on in Skinsland.

I'm glad to see it. Long about the Bye week I may be able to start figuring out if I thought it worked out well or not.

And now-or whenever-on to FA.

Not everyone loved our draft. Kipper gave us a C+, said we didn't press for a QB, and filled lots of holes. But he said he didn't think many of our picks would be able to step in and contribute right away. I guess we will see.

Personally, i like the fact that our first two picks were the position that most experts said was the deepest in this draft. Nice to go with the grain for once.

Kiper is just upset we didn't draft who he wanted or had selected for us. Also don't forget he is a Ratbird fan.

We will either make an OL push in FA (if ever gets here) or our Shanahan feels our backups and practice squad guys are ready for primetime.

Somewhere I was reading that Robinson should be able to contribute on special teams, especially as a KR and PR. I found this interesting since we still have Banks. Wonder if this means there is concerns about Banks recovery?

Somewhere I was reading that Robinson should be able to contribute on special teams, especially as a KR and PR. I found this interesting since we still have Banks. Wonder if this means there is concerns about Banks recovery?

I was thinking the same thing. Banks lost a step after the knee scope during our bye week last year. With our draft class, looks like Banks will be battling for his job again. He is quick as hell, but he is only 150 pounds. Not to mention he had trouble holding on to the ball. Not many went the other way, but he did put the ball on the ground more than one wants to see.

Indeed, it's certainly a start.

We need to cobble together another 2 offseasons like this before I feel confortable that the Vinny C era is safely in the rear-view mirror.

Indeed, it's certainly a start.

We need to cobble together another 2 offseasons like this before I feel confortable that the Vinny C era is safely in the rear-view mirror.

bingo!!!!!! and that the Dan is assuming a less visible role.

I heard once Henry was walking down the street and saw a kid trapped under a cow. To free the kid he ate the cow on the spot in less than an hour.

Henry is the only man on earth, of whom even Reed Doughty is afraid.

And Kiper can bite me. McShay and Mayock are for more credible sources on the draft these days than Mel.

I think Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hankerson, Paul, Helu and Royster can all play immediately, with Robinson contributing on teams, and eventually working into the slot.

You give me 7 guys that can make a difference from the get-go, and I call that a badass draft. Any of the other guys are just an added bonus.

I heard once Henry was walking down the street and saw a kid trapped under a cow. To free the kid he ate the cow on the spot in less than an hour.

I'm starting to like the direction this thread is taking. :)

I noticed some of Boone's original sentiment on twitter during the draft also, and I was to be frank, flabbergasted. This is what we have wanted for YEARS. Now the team is actually trading back and acquiring the draft picks necessary to fill holes (and filling *most of* those holes), and people are complaining? I really was shocked.

But of course Henry was the voice of reason! Henry doesn't do push-ups, he does earth-downs.

Henry is also apparently the only man who can make honorary_hog reappear on BGO.

Am I the only one that immediately thought of Mallomars after seeing the thread title? :laugh:

My wife read the thread title and said 'they do know that the Henry in that movie was severely brain-damaged, don't they?'

I wasn't quite sure how to take that. :)

My wife read the thread title and said 'they do know that the Henry in that movie was severely brain-damaged, don't they?'

I wasn't quite sure how to take that. :)
:laugh: That was my second thought.

Another thing about Banks is his off the field trouble that he got into. Shanahan might have sent out a message to him. Anybody think that they sent a message to Moss with the WR we drafted?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.