• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Like the picks, love the strategy, but 1 big problem

GSF

The Starter
Reaction score
First let me say that I'm very pleased overall. I'm now officially convinced that shanny is in this thing for the long haul, and not just trying to win now at all costs. This draft for me was a fork in Redskin Road. had we traded away more draft picks to move up to take Newton or Gabbert you might not of seen much more of me around here. Not that I'd ever totally give up on the Skins, but I'm just absolutely sick or the way this team has been managed for the last decade or so.

So, I like the first 2 picks a lot, and I'm cool with the 3rd pick as I beleive the Skins have a huge need for a big WR that can go over the middle and make tough catches. I absolutely love that we're trading down to add picks, but I still have a lingering voice in the back of my head asking the same question: what about the o-line?

I'm a bit old-school when it comes to my football; I love me some o-line. The Skins at this point still have 1 of the worst olines in the league, with very little young talent other than Williams. I was really hoping the Skins would take a stud center and guard with those 2 second rounders. I don't even know if there were any on the board as I didn't follow the draft that close, but that's what I was hoping for.

Are there any stud olinemen left that we could get with the 3rd we added from the colts trade, or are we basically looking at projects now? Shanny must be thinking he'll address the line in free agency, but how's that going to work with the lock-out ect?

If Shanny can find a way to bring in some young talent(at least youngish) to the oline then this will be the best offseason in a very long time in my book, but is that possible at this point?

I agree with you. I would rather have seen us pick up at least one OL in the first three rounds. However, this team is so full of holes that I can understand going BPA. It's not like we didn't need the other spots. We're not going to get everything filled this draft. It's going to take a few years, so if OL gets addressed next year, so be it.

That said, I still would have like to have seen something on the line today.

Well, I gotta say with all our needs, the two most glaring were picked up in the first 2 rounds. I would like to have seen different players with those picks, as evidenced by my mock draft, but the positions that needed to be addressed first were. We were the 31st ranked defense in the league and are committed to the 3-4. We need personnel that fits that scheme.

As for the O-line, I share your sentiment and was hoping to see us take OT and C/G in the first 2 rounds until about 3 weeks ago. I like what the Colts did. I remember the glory days with the Hogs. But by the end of the season we saw progress along the O-line. I think the coaches have to see some growth along the line, the 2 practice squad players(Capers and Cook) and may even be targeting someone in FA. Plus, with 10 picks tomorrow they are likely to have some players in their sights.

Bottom line, you can't fix what ails us in one year. Last year we drafted a stud LT, this year we worked on the front 7 of the D in the 1st two rounds. Tomorrow will be interesting since we have 10 picks. I would like to see us draft an ILB, a couple of OL, a RB and Greg McElroy.

Last edited:
As El mentioned, we will definitely use a couple of the ten picks we have today on the OLine. No doubt. Remember that Shanny has a fair amount of success in the later rounds going after OLinemen. Seems like if you are going to hope he finds a gem late, it will either be a RB or someone along the line.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

There are still some highly rated guys left for the OL. This really looks to be a deep draft when it comes to talent, which might explain why Shanahan and Allen keep moving back to acquire more picks. If you can get guys in the 5th who might have been 3rd rounders in previous years, it makes sense.

The names that jump out at me are Cannon from TCU (although I think he might be too big for a good ZB Guard), Boling from Georgia (started all 4 years and has played both T positions and G in the SEC) and Barnes from Missouri (3 year starter at Center).

I sure hope so Neo. I don't follow college ball much, so i'm not up on the prospects. Plus, I've paid very little attention to this years run up to the draft. Too aggravated over a bunch of bazillionaires bitching about dividing up 8 billion dollars when the common man is struggling to buy a gallon of gas. I am pleased with adding picks and I'm a believer in getting guys in the later rounds. The odds may be better in the earilier rounds given an equal number of picks, but we have enough lower round picks to get some good players. And those are usually the guys who turn out to be the best team guys.

I like our strategy, it's like Redskins are the new Patriots. We kept trading back that I lost track of where we would pick.

One concern is both our OLB's are converted DE's. Will this be a problem in pass protection? Don't get me wrong, I like Kerrigan, just not sure how he will be if an offense forces him to cover a TE or RB.

I think you will see us pick some OL today. My gut says we will pick Tyrod Taylor as our project QB.

I like our strategy, it's like Redskins are the new Patriots. We kept trading back that I lost track of where we would pick.

One concern is both our OLB's are converted DE's. Will this be a problem in pass protection? Don't get me wrong, I like Kerrigan, just not sure how he will be if an offense forces him to cover a TE or RB.

I think you will see us pick some OL today. My gut says we will pick Tyrod Taylor as our project QB.

Good points about pass protection. Hopefully they have done their homework, or else we just replaced Andre Carter with a white Andre Carter.

I would be happy with McElroy or Tyrod as a project QB.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Don't forget that we still have Cook and Capers from last years draft.

I can see us getting some OL help today and I hope we burn a late round pick on Henery, the K from Nebraska..

Henery could be a solid kicker in the NFL. Possesses a big, strong leg with the range to hit very long field goal attempts but accuracy does drop some from over 50 yards. Outstanding accuracy and consistency on shorter kicks. Has experience punting, flashes the ability to directionally kick, but doesn't get enough consistent hang-time or distance. Solid athlete who can handle poor snaps and angle a returner toward the sideline. Henery has the experience, versatility, and mentality (pressure kicks, success in bad weather) to warrant a seventh round selection or priority free agent grade
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/alex-henery?id=2495162

Good point DP44. We have enough picks in the later rounds that if we don't package them to move up, we can afford to spend one on a K if that K is worth it.

That sounded like music to my ears, "enough picks...afford to spend..."

There are still some highly rated guys left for the OL. This really looks to be a deep draft when it comes to talent, which might explain why Shanahan and Allen keep moving back to acquire more picks. If you can get guys in the 5th who might have been 3rd rounders in previous years, it makes sense.

The names that jump out at me are Cannon from TCU (although I think he might be too big for a good ZB Guard), Boling from Georgia (started all 4 years and has played both T positions and G in the SEC) and Barnes from Missouri (3 year starter at Center).

Thanks for all replies. This is the answer I was hoping for so thanks Neo. I don't follow college much so if the is a deep draft at oline and we can add some good olineman in the mid rounds then this will be an A+ draft for me which is such a nice surprise.

Keep an eye on Stingily, OT from Louisville. Lots of sleeper potential, would be great in a ZBS (athletic). I have us taking him in the 6th in my mock draft prediction...hopefully that comes true.

Aww crap. Stingily just went to the Titans a couple picks before us. Dang it.

We still have the 7th round for some OL help. Please tell me we're going to pick up some decent linemen!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.