• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

DIY jobs you regret doing

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
So, I am a self admitted penny pincher, and as a result I do anything I can by myself without having to get a pro to do it. Fortunately for me, I was born with the ability of being extremely mechanically inclined, with an engineering mind, so I usually have zero difficulty doing these things.

Here are some examples of jobs I did over the years to save money....

1. I have a 42" Samsung Plasma tv. A few years ago, the picture went out. My wife was pissed that the warranty was expired, and the tv guy she called said he would take a look at it, and that it was probably something in the circuits that was acting up. He wanted $75 to look at it, and estimated $400 for the repair. Instead, I took it apart myself. I found that not only were no fuses blown, nothing was burned up, and the circuitry looked fine, but the attachment pins for the picture power supply were coated in dust and grime. I took a can of compressed air, blew it out, and wouldn't you know it - it worked just fine. Cost me about 7 cents :laugh:

2. When I first moved into my house, the windows were literally falling out of the house. I got prices from several companies. For 7 windows the lowest price I got was $3,850. Without knowing what to do, I bought the windows myself and installed them. I also installed french doors on the back to replace the sliding glass door. My final cost? Just over $1,400.

3. When I first got my car, it had everything wrong with it. I needed 4 tires, new brakes, a fuel filter and pump, battery, alternator, idle control valve, pcv valve, air intake control, coil springs, ball joints and tie rod ends. I got prices from 7 places. The average estimate was about $2,600. So I bought the parts and did it myself. All total, I spent around $700.

So, these are some of my good DIY experiences. Now for the only bad one. My car has been running like **** for a while. After a lot of research, I figured it was the spark plugs. I had 6 to change. The front 3 were easy, then I couldn't see the back 3. So I go online, and find out you have to take the intake manifold, the throttle body, the air intake valve, pvc valve, idle control valve, the EGR valve, a bunch of gaskets and a few other little things like hoses apart just to get to those back 3 spark plugs. Being the idiot I am, I go oh, ok, shouldn't be too bad....

2 hours later, I have over a dozen pieces and over 3 dozen bolts laying around next to a pile of hoses. I change the three spark plugs. Then comes the fun of putting it back together. By some amazing act of the universe, I am able to get it all back together correctly on the first go. I turn on the car, the RPMs go up over 8k, it backfires, then dies. Confused, I pop the hood to see that when I reassembled the throttle body, the throttle cable had snagged itself on the cover, instead of going into its slot. Easy fix - I push it down where it goes, and the car starts up fine....for a second. It's sputtering hard, and sounds like someone trying to gasp for air under water. Then I hear a loud hissing noise.

I cut the car off, and start inspecting and almost immediately see the problem. Underneath the PCV valve, there is a steel tube with two bolts that connects to the bottom of the PCV valve unit. I notice something odd. There is a metal gasket half where it should be, the other half hanging down and out of place. Apparently during disassembling and reassembling, I had not noticed this gasket. When I reassembled it all, apparently one side of the gasket tilted downward. The air flow was completely shut down due to the blockage, so I took it apart and put it in correctly. Now the car runs like it's new.

I learned a valuable lesson today. If you have a ford engine that's 24 valve DOHC, **** the spark plugs, pay someone else to do it. I will sell this car before I ever attempt to do that again. On the bright side, it only cost me $12 lol, so I can't be too upset.

I know I'm not the only one with a horrible experience, I wanna hear some stories.

If you seriously need help with something, just PM me and let me know. I have done just about everything as far as DIY type stuff goes.

During my landscaping years, I obviously learned everything there is to know about plants, weeds, grasses, trees, etc and all aspects of landscaping. I know how to install, repair and maintain sprinkler systems and outdoor lighting systems.

As a result of that experience and out of necessity, I have never had a problem with electrical work or plumbing that I couldn't fix. As a result of my first several cars being clunkers, I learned a million ways to do and how not to do a lot of repairs with car parts/engines/etc. because if I didn't learn to fix them, I would have been walking.

In high school, I received certification in Mechanical Engineering and architectural drafting & design. All of this helped me a lot when it came to figuring out how things work. I did a project in high school that was built into a troubled teen girls home, I sold a home design to my design teacher when I was in high school, and I still play with AutoCad on my PC all the time and have given a few friends rough drafts of plans for additions to their houses so they wouldn't have to pay an architect thousands of dollars to do it.

I have built sheds, fences, decks, above ground pools, barrel grills, fire pits, picnic tables, bunk beds, a sunroom, sided and painted houses, built a carport, repaired and replaced gutters, put on a tar and gravel roof, installed hardwood floors, remodeled a kitchen, installed windows/doors/garage doors/fans/ac units and probably a dozen other things I can't think of off the top of my head.. Simply put, while I hated my old boss for making us learn and do all this stuff when we were only landscapers - I greatly appreciate it now, because I haven't met a job I couldn't do.

The fact is, my mind works in a way most peoples doesn't. I realize there's a joke in there to be made, but DIY really is my schtick. I don't know why I have the abilities and knack for this stuff that I do, but it saves me and my friends a ton of money. I've always believed that everybody, even people that are dumber than a bag of hammers, have something they have an abnormal amount of talent in. This is my area of expertise.

The strange part is, I actually love doing it, when most people hate it. I have all the tools I've ever needed, and I know the cheapest places to get everything. I honestly have no problem doing a job for you or for anybody else if you really wanted something done. All you have to do is buy the parts you need and compensate me a little for my time (I don't charge by the hour, I quote up front for the job) and we can work something out.

May just ctc you on electrical work...I just forked over $250 for a circuit breaker repair that I am sure could have been done for a lot less. could use your insight on some remodeling work as well if that is down your lane.

in the event, repairs are not what I was really after...suggest a Va Beach/Norfolk get together for those of us in the area for one game next season.....bar or home to be named at a different time

btw...one of my brothers-in-law - a supremely talented individual - also loves fixing things. it's a wonderful talent to have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.