• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL to Resume Limited Ops on Friday

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Woot?

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...esume-limited-football-operations-on-friday/1

By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY

The NFL is re-opening for business.

The league, after two major losses in court this week, announced Thursday it would allow teams to resume football operations as of 8 a.m. ET Friday.

But free agency will not open until the league determines a date for the start of the new league year. And all resumption of football activities is subject to change if the NFL gains a favorable ruling from the Eighth District Court of Appeals.

Also, with the scheduled NFL draft set to open at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, the league still will not permit the trading of players -- only trades of picks are allowed -- until the league year begins. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told ProFootballTalk Live said the league wants to create an "orderly transition" into the new league year and didn't believe allowing players trades going into the draft would be appropriate.

The decision to re-open came after U.S. District Court Judge Susan Richard Nelson on Wednesday rejected the NFL's request to stay her invalidation of the lockout two days earlier. The NFL has since appealed both the ruling and the stay rejection to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Aiello said that if the court grants the NFL's request for a stay, the decision to resume football operations would change.

On Friday, players can again report to team facilities, work out and have contact with coaches and trainers. Teams can also begin distributing playbooks and scheduling offseason workouts....

Beat me to it, but here is more...

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/28898880

After some scrambling following Judge Susan's Nelson refusal to lift the lockout, the NFL has gotten much of its business in store. In short, at 8 a.m. EST Friday, they'll notify teams of when the 2011 League Year begins. This will let teams know when they can sign free agents and make trades. Here's the statement the league sent out:

The NFL clubs have been notified that we have requested from the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals a stay of the preliminary injunction issued late Monday afternoon by the Federal District Court. Pending further guidance from the Eighth Circuit, we believe it is appropriate for clubs to take additional steps in response to the preliminary injunction. The clubs were informed of the steps below that will be effective on Friday at 8 am ET following tonight’s first round of the NFL Draft. Clubs are free to contact players immediately to advise them of the hours that the facility will be open for their use, to schedule medical and rehabilitation activity, and to arrange meetings with coaches or related activity, such as film study or classroom work.

1.Players will be permitted to use club facilities for physical examinations, rehabilitation and medical treatment, as scheduled by the club.

2.Clubs will be permitted to distribute playbooks, game film and other similar materials to players.

3.Coaches may meet with players for the purpose of discussing any materials distributed to players under item 2 above, as well as the club’s off-season workout program, its schedule of mini-camps, Organized Team Activities (“OTAs”), and other similar matters.

4.Voluntary off-season workout programs, including OTAs and classroom instruction, may begin subject to the rules in Article XXXV of the 2006 CBA and Appendix L. Participating players will be paid $130 per day, provided the player fulfills the club’s reasonable off-season workout requirements. Such workouts will count toward the requirements of any off-season workout bonus in the player’s contract.

5.On days during which no official off-season workouts or OTAs are scheduled under item 4 above, nothing shall prevent the club from permitting any player to use the club facility to work out on his own on a voluntary, unpaid basis during normal business hours, or such other hours as may be set by the club, provided: (i) there is no participation or supervision by any coach, trainer or other club personnel; and (ii) the club has first verified that the player has an existing medical insurance policy in place. Players without such personal coverage should not be permitted to work out at the club facility on an unsupervised basis under this item 5, but may do so under item 4 above. Unsupervised workouts will not count toward the requirements of any off-season workout bonus in the player’s contract. This item 5 will apply both prior to and after the commencement of the club’s official off-season workout program.

6.Mandatory and voluntary mini-camps may begin subject to the rules in Article XXXVI of the 2006 CBA.

7.The league office will promptly make arrangements to resume counseling, rehabilitation and treatment activities in connection with the substances of abuse and steroid programs. We will advise clubs as to when and on what basis testing will commence.

8.Players may participate in club-sponsored charitable and community relations events.

With respect to player transactions (such as signings, trades of player contracts, terminations, tryouts, etc.), we plan to distribute to all clubs, likely tomorrow, a comprehensive set of procedures governing such transactions. This will include the timing for the commencement of the 2011 League Year, free agent signings and other customary player transactions.

It's possible the NFL believes that the appeals court will rule on the lockout stay before Friday morning (which, if the ruling is favorable to the league, would make everything above moot). But it's also possible (very possible, in fact) that the appeal will be denied, meaning football really will resume Friday.

Bummer about the "no trading players" during the draft. I was hoping for a little something something in return for DMc.

There's the part I'm guessing we're all most interested in...

With respect to player transactions (such as signings, trades of player contracts, terminations, tryouts, etc.), we plan to distribute to all clubs, likely tomorrow, a comprehensive set of procedures governing such transactions. This will include the timing for the commencement of the 2011 League Year, free agent signings and other customary player transactions.

Buckle up, friends. It's going to get crazy.

The content you quoted has me concerned. At this point, what would the NFL be able to do if the Redskins called the Vikings and said, give us your 3rd round pick and McNabb is your's? Then they agreed. The judge ruled so the league has say on the terms of the start of the 2011 season? Wouldn't it start already? I know they are waiting for the 8th Circuit Court to rule until they make any significant decisions, but damn it...we need more picks and we have at least one player who could get us at least a 4th rounder! :)

yup! but...all this churn has had a way of accelerating the fade of last season's memories. so there is a silver lining!!!! :)

Between you and me, El ... I am 100% certain that NFL GM's have been, and are, exchanging phone calls to beat the proverbial band during this "lockout." To me, believing otherwise would be naive.

We'll hear stories someday about back door deals and agreements, untraceable for the most part, that directly impact how the 2011 draft plays out.

We think we know ... but we don't know.

Al ... brother sunshine ... until the day when there isn't, there is always a new day. :)

I'm just curious and hopeful there are some FA signings and trades before 2nd round begins that could afford us more draft picks and a clearer understanding of needs to be filled in the draft. I am not so naive to think calls have not already been made and deals could be already in the works awaiting the start of the season. I just want it to happen already! :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.