• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Behind Enemy Lines: Six...Maybe

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Eighty guys started this process. 80. When the dust settles only 53 will be left on the active roster. That is a one-third attrition rate, for...

More...

Nice work, brother.

It's easy to forget during camp and preseason, when all the backups' names are on everyone's lips, that there are generally very few slots available on the final roster. And of course, the better the existing roster, the fewer the available slots. For all but a couple of the wannabe's the best bet is to hopefully snag a practice squad spot and at least stay in the picture for a year.

As I mentioned last night, one guy who bears watching is undrafted free agent signee DT Antonio Dixon, who played some serious ball againt Baltimore. He was active, disruptive and played angry---something the whole team could have used a dose of.

If he plays well and gets noticed again this weekend against Pittsburgh, I'm going to be hard pressed not to put him on my short list of practice squad designees. He plays well in all four preseason games and I might have to start throwing around bold predictions. :)

Agreed Om. Although I would like to see him in the game against some guys we know will make a roster somewhere.

I also think it possible we might something like last year where they went 26 on defense and 24 on the offense, tilting the roster. It would be easy to do with the way they are playing two DE's as linebackers or with a couple of the OL guys who can back up multiple positions. Might leave room for a guy like Dixon to make the roster on defense or maybe keep Mason on offense to backup Portis/Betts (I don't think any of us want to see Alexander back in a Skins uni this year).

Agreed Om. Although I would like to see him in the game against some guys we know will make a roster somewhere.

I also think it possible we might something like last year where they went 26 on defense and 24 on the offense, tilting the roster. It would be easy to do with the way they are playing two DE's as linebackers or with a couple of the OL guys who can back up multiple positions. Might leave room for a guy like Dixon to make the roster on defense or maybe keep Mason on offense to backup Portis/Betts (I don't think any of us want to see Alexander back in a Skins uni this year).
Lorenzo? If we're talking about the him, I can't agree. Pretty solid utility and rotational guy on both sides of the ball and teams ...

As to the unbalanced roster, you're dead on. It's easy to get caught up in the "formula" game and assume that the number of bodies kept at each position is a firm template. Not so, particularly in view of a guy like, say, Alexander. ;)

Oh no. I expect Lorenzo to be on the roster. I was talking about signing Shawn Alexander again if Betts or Portis got hurt. The man was great once...not so much anymore. :(

Ah. Didn't even make that connection. Concur loudly. :)

You are right Mike. He is not on the team at the moment but then he wasn't on it to start last year either. I was just suggesting that I personally would rather the team give RB a 4th slot to keep someone like Mason rather than bring in Alexander as a mid season backup for an injured Portis or Betts (which is actually my fear, if we are being honest).

I thought you were referencing Alexander Hamilton. Hell of a statesman, but he couldn't pick up a blitz if you held a gun to his head.

Boone made a funny. There was clearly duel meaning in there.

Could have been Alexander Graham Bell or Alexander Haig, by the way. Bell would definitely phone it in sometimes though. Haig? He was probably a better basketball player. Man knew how to take a charge.

There was clearly duel meaning in there.

Wow. That was truly awful (as all good puns should be).

I'm with you, though. I never even connected "Alexander" with the running back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.