• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Cult of Collins (or Tribe of Todd)

Gman84

The Cheerleader
Reaction score
I think the majority of us - whether a Campbell lover or hater - accept that he this season is make or break for him.

Those that expect him to fail (does anyone really want him to fail?) may also be on the Colt Brennan bandwagon but for me, if things start out bad for Jason then I honestly believe our best hope sits at #2 on our depth chart.

Todd Collins is not going to throw 70 yard bombs on a rope like John Elway or scramble around making guys miss left right and center ala Randall Cunningham. He isn't going to gun the ball out of his hands on so quick like Dan Marino either but he can do all the basics well and at the end of the day, their is only one QB who has helped this team have any kind of success in recent years.

It's Todd Collins.

If the team starts slow and Jason Campbell gets the blame (QB's and coaches will always get the majority of focus from results) then Todd Collins could well save Jim Zorn's job and the Redskins 2009 season.

Thoughts?

Collins could be the most under-appreciated man on the team. He really is the perfect backup QB ... a veteran who has proven he can manage a team and win big games, with no discernible ego. He is to Jim Zorn's Redskins what a guy like Jeff Rutledge was to Gibbs'.

Way I see 2009 is, if Jason were to do down for the season (*knock* *knock*), Collins is clearly the man for the immediate game-day job. Someone who can step in, keep the huddle focused and run the offense seamlessly---maybe even, as we saw in '07, kick-start it--and give you a chance to stay competitive in the short term. And then he's the starter for as many games as he's able to produce and team wins more than it loses.

At that point it just becomes a matter of how long he remains the starter. Obviously if he comes in and the team wins games, he's the man until they stop. But if it's clear after a week or two, or four, or whatever, that defenses have adjusted to him, most likely by taking away his underneath stuff and forcing him to go downfield, testing him arm, and the team offense starts bogging down, Zorn would almost have to start Colt Brennan.

At that point, maybe a little helter-skelter at the QB position mobility- and gunslinger-wise would be just the ticket to get the offense, which honestly often looks laid-back and a little too corporate for my tastes out there, would be exactly what the offense needs to light the fire.

But the immediate question of who comes in should Campbell go down, to me, has already been settled. Todd Collins is a security blanket and ace in the hole that will, unfortunately, probably only be widely appreciated among fans once he's gone.

He's not flashy, not controversial, not charismatic. But he's a professional, both on and off the field ... which to me is the single most important attribute in a backup quarterback.

As much as I want JC to succeed, I worry about his ability to read defenses pre-snap and his tendency to wait for receivers to get open instead of anticipating them getting open. Collins, on the other hand, seems to have a good idea of where he's going before the ball is snapped and will throw the ball before a receiver breaks.

If JC gets hurt or falters, I imagine Collins will be the starter as long as the playoffs are a possibility. He's a good fit for Zorn's offense and now knows it well.

As far as Colt goes... well, I have never seen so much hype over a third string QB. His fanclub is actually hurting him now because they expect the world from him. Might be smart to start viewing him as the coaches do -- an interesting prospect who still has a long way to go.

-------------------

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.