A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Happy Hour starts in five minutes.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1. #1

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,837
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default No Grill, No Chill....

    *** Warning!!!!*** - Charcoal enthusiasts may elect to avert their eyes. The Surgeon General has determined that reading further in this thread may cause consternation, heart palpitations, inordinate sweating, and use of foul language.

    I have owned a Weber gas grill for going on 7 or 8 years. I've replaced the guts every couple of years as parts have rusted or just plain worn out. I've literally rebuilt the damn thing 3 or 4 times during that stretch. It's been a wonderful grill, but I warned the significant other - this spring I'd be pulling the trigger on a new grill, and there wasn't a damn thing she could do about it (short of holding out on certainly wifely duties - which is marriage 101 anyway).

    So today - went grill shopping. I already knew I'd go gas again. I think the benefits of charcoal are way overstated, while the health downside is probably underrated. In my experience, you can get great results with a great gas grill and the use of a little creativity and ingenuity.

    I just purchased a Weber Genesis E-310, 3 burners, cast iron grates, stainless steel exterior, and built like a tank. I fully expect to get another 8 years out of this grill.

    [video]https://www.bgobsession.com/jhj/IMG_4569.JPG[/video]

    Broke it in with some grilled ichiban eggplant (tossed after pulling off the grill with a mix of soy sauce, garlic, red pepper flakes, rice vinegar, and sesame oil) and working on some beer can chicken as we speak.

    [video]https://www.bgobsession.com/jhj/IMG_4570.JPG[/video]

    To channel the Temptations....

    'My grill....talking about myyyyyy grill - my grill!'

    What you cookin' on these days boys?
    Last edited by Boone; 07-26-11 at 07:19 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  2. #2
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-09
    Location
    CTU
    Posts
    3,080
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

    Default

    You use a GAS grill?

    Were you born in this country?

    You realize this nullifies all the recipes you've passed on here and endangers your man card.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Formerly known as ...............Sarge

  3. #3
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-08-10
    Posts
    110
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    You use a GAS grill?

    Were you born in this country?

    You realize this nullifies all the recipes you've passed on here and endangers your man card.
    easy butch, theres nothing wrong with gas for cooking. Im a tailgater, and I will tell you its no picnick with hot coals. Also for day to day cooking, natural rules. Coals are for the growling backyard cookout, and the roughing it expedition.

    Both have their place.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  4. #4
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    I too am a gas griller. I made the switch about 10 years ago, and have never regretted it since. If you know what you're doing and aren't a complete buffoon, gas grilling is far superior. My gasser has a smoke box on the side, so I still get the taste, which in reality is the only advantage of charcoal.

    Charcoal grilling is an absolute pain in the ass. I like being able to go, "hmmmm, I'm hungry, I think I'm gonna grill." Then grabbing some food and eating in less than 30 minutes in most cases. Also, with gas you don't have to run to the store and by charcoal every time you wanna grill, which was the biggest nuisance to me.

    Vegetable grilling is excessively underrated. Boone, you were on point with the Ichibans. I grow them in my garden every year, and grill half of what I harvest. and put the rest in the spaghetti sauce I make. For anyone who hasn't tried it yet, try it.

    The best thing to grill by far? Romaine lettuce. You heard that right. I guarantee you if you try it, you will do it every time you grill. You just get some romaine hearts, cut them lengthwise down the middle, and drizzle olive oil on them. Next, mix up some grated parmesan or romano cheese, and mix it with black pepper and whatever other spice you feel like adding - I add nothing else. Then spread this mixture out on a cookie sheet and press the lettuce face down into the mixture, then turn over and let it sit for a few minutes. Put it face down over a low flame until it browns (just flip it to check), then rotate face up and cook another few minutes. Absolutely delicious, and I promise even your kids will love them - my kids eat them like candy.

    Oh, and before anyone here tries to bash gas grilling, my grill can kick your grill's ass. I have gas, charcoal and a smoker all in one, so suck it
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  5. #5
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-28-09
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I don't understand this gas vs charcoal debate. Currently I have a Weber gas (like Boone mine has been rebuilt and 8-9 yrs old), a Weber 22" Kettle, and a Chargriller smoker. This way however I want to cook the right method is on hand. If weren't for stepdaughter getting married and son in college I would be looking at new Weber gas or a new smoker.

    Don't under sell charcoal. This method takes us back to our origins by creating fire. I love charcoal. Fire up a chimney of lump and sit back with dog and plus beverage of choice for a relaxing cook. Gas is greatif in a hurry, but charcoal is relaxing.

    Back to work while dream of supper.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  6. #6
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    I have the Brinkmann gas/charcoal/smoker. I'd post a pic, but I'm lazy lol.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,837
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    I too am a gas griller. I made the switch about 10 years ago, and have never regretted it since. If you know what you're doing and aren't a complete buffoon, gas grilling is far superior. My gasser has a smoke box on the side, so I still get the taste, which in reality is the only advantage of charcoal.

    Charcoal grilling is an absolute pain in the ass. I like being able to go, "hmmmm, I'm hungry, I think I'm gonna grill." Then grabbing some food and eating in less than 30 minutes in most cases. Also, with gas you don't have to run to the store and by charcoal every time you wanna grill, which was the biggest nuisance to me.

    Vegetable grilling is excessively underrated. Boone, you were on point with the Ichibans. I grow them in my garden every year, and grill half of what I harvest. and put the rest in the spaghetti sauce I make. For anyone who hasn't tried it yet, try it.

    The best thing to grill by far? Romaine lettuce. You heard that right. I guarantee you if you try it, you will do it every time you grill. You just get some romaine hearts, cut them lengthwise down the middle, and drizzle olive oil on them. Next, mix up some grated parmesan or romano cheese, and mix it with black pepper and whatever other spice you feel like adding - I add nothing else. Then spread this mixture out on a cookie sheet and press the lettuce face down into the mixture, then turn over and let it sit for a few minutes. Put it face down over a low flame until it browns (just flip it to check), then rotate face up and cook another few minutes. Absolutely delicious, and I promise even your kids will love them - my kids eat them like candy.

    Oh, and before anyone here tries to bash gas grilling, my grill can kick your grill's ass. I have gas, charcoal and a smoker all in one, so suck it
    That romaine hearts recipe sounds amazing - going to have to try that...thanks!

    I started with a tongue-in-cheek disclaimer because you can't seem to talk about grills without the topic immediately moving to why charcoal is king. I agree that there's no reason it has to be one or the other. I would just argue that the 'taste differential' between the two is wildly overblown.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  8. #8

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,926
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I would just argue that the 'taste differential' between the two is wildly overblown.
    Totally disagree here.

    Charcoal, has a very distinct flavor. Although it can be tough to chew, and temporarily leaves your teeth, gums, and lips black, it does have a scrubbing action that removes coffee stains as well. Not to mention, it's high fiber content.

    Gas, on the other hand, while providing quite the buzz, is impossible to chew, and isn't filling at all.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  9. #9

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,837
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Totally disagree here.

    Charcoal, has a very distinct flavor. Although it can be tough to chew, and temporarily leaves your teeth, gums, and lips black, it does have a scrubbing action that removes coffee stains as well. Not to mention, it's high fiber content.

    Gas, on the other hand, while providing quite the buzz, is impossible to chew, and isn't filling at all.
    touche'

    I feel like a blind man who finally sees....
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  10. #10
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Totally disagree here.

    Charcoal, has a very distinct flavor. Although it can be tough to chew, and temporarily leaves your teeth, gums, and lips black, it does have a scrubbing action that removes coffee stains as well. Not to mention, it's high fiber content.

    Gas, on the other hand, while providing quite the buzz, is impossible to chew, and isn't filling at all.
    I do believe that is the single funniest thing I have ever read.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,086
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default

    Looks great, Boone. I too will be grill shopping in the next few weeks. Mine is about the same age as yours and done for. Consistent heat is a joke in it now which is killing my ability to do anything the way I want too.

    I may have go look at this one myself. I really want the left to right burner config on the next one for Indirect heating. It is really tough to do in my current one with it's front to back burner setup.
    Last edited by Neophyte; 06-11-11 at 01:10 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    hailus redskinus
    COYS

  12. #12

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    the problem with gas grills is getting rid of them once they have lived their useful lives.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  13. #13

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    I do believe that is the single funniest thing I have ever read.

    my man Ax!
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  14. #14

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,837
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
    Looks great, Boone. I two will be grill shopping in the next few weeks. Mine is about the same age as yours and done for. Consistent heat is a joke in it now which is killing my ability to do anything the way I want too.

    I may have go look at this one myself. I really want the left to right burner config on the next one for Indirect heating. It is really tough to do in my current one with it's front to back burner setup.

    They've changed the burner configuration on the Genesis (and maybe the lower cost grills, not sure) from 3 horizontal rows to 3 vertical ones. So you can now turn off the entire center section of the grill. Pretty nice What I like best about this one so far is it's ability to crank up the heat. It's got a permanent center mounted thermometer that goes up to 700 degrees - a lot of juice for a gas grill.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  15. #15

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,086
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default

    Yeah, mine just won't bring the heat like that anymore except for the very first use after cleaning it and if I have to disassemble it down to the burners, clean it and reassemble it before every use it just isn't worth it anymore. It really sucks not being able to get a good sear on my steaks...

    Are the grills cast iron? Or steel? Love the old cast iron ones that came in my current grill.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    hailus redskinus
    COYS

  16. #16

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,837
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Cast iron w/porcelain enamel coating. Very nice
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  17. #17

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,086
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default

    Yeah...I'll be going shopping with the tax refund, that's for sure.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    hailus redskinus
    COYS

  18. #18

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,837
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    The best thing to grill by far? Romaine lettuce. You heard that right. I guarantee you if you try it, you will do it every time you grill. You just get some romaine hearts, cut them lengthwise down the middle, and drizzle olive oil on them. Next, mix up some grated parmesan or romano cheese, and mix it with black pepper and whatever other spice you feel like adding - I add nothing else. Then spread this mixture out on a cookie sheet and press the lettuce face down into the mixture, then turn over and let it sit for a few minutes. Put it face down over a low flame until it browns (just flip it to check), then rotate face up and cook another few minutes. Absolutely delicious, and I promise even your kids will love them - my kids eat them like candy.
    They were very nice. Only *improvement* I'll make next time is squeezing some fresh lemon juice over them as they come off the grill. Will add a little caesar salad quality to them. Beyond that - yeah - very nice
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  19. #19
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    They were very nice. Only *improvement* I'll make next time is squeezing some fresh lemon juice over them as they come off the grill. Will add a little caesar salad quality to them. Beyond that - yeah - very nice
    Awesome, glad you liked it. The lemon will be a nice touch. At my fourth of July party last year, my father in law kept squeezing some fresh lime on his and swore by it. Never did get around to trying it though. Helpful tip if you're having a cookout and you have a Sam's or BJ's membership - buy the romaine there. It's one of those products where the price difference is ridiculous. Last time I picked some up at Sam's they were $4-$5 and had 8 hearts in it. The Farm Fresh up the street sells a three pack for that.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,837
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Awesome, glad you liked it. The lemon will be a nice touch. At my fourth of July party last year, my father in law kept squeezing some fresh lime on his and swore by it. Never did get around to trying it though. Helpful tip if you're having a cookout and you have a Sam's or BJ's membership - buy the romaine there. It's one of those products where the price difference is ridiculous. Last time I picked some up at Sam's they were $4-$5 and had 8 hearts in it. The Farm Fresh up the street sells a three pack for that.
    In a million years, never would have thought to throw them on the grill - so thanks You da man
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

 

 

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •