• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The 17 day diet

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Has anyone heard of this or know if it works as well as the "experts" claim? I was told about it by my doctor, because I am 40 lbs overweight, I have high blood pressure that I'm on medication for, and high triglycerides that I'm on medication for.

My doctor is trying to tell me that it can significantly improve both of those, while helping me lose all of the excess weight. The problem is, I'm not one for fad diets, but reading up on this one it seems like it might be legit.

I'm definitely willing to give it a go, because it doesn't follow the same BS principles of the Atkins, South Beach, etc. It goes in 4 different 17 day cycles, and the foods are different in each cycle. Unlike Atkins, it allows carbs after the first cycle, and it doesn't encourage high fat foods.

If anyone has tried it, how were your results? If you know anyone that's tried it, what are the results? Any pros or cons would be great. I'm starting it today, so I will list any results I have here in case anyone is interested in trying it.

BTW, don't spend money on the book, I got it free in pdf format, just google it. The book is called The 17 Day Diet.

Damn near any diet works, if you are a disciplined practitioner of it.

BTW, I lost 40lbs 3 years ago, dropped my cholesterol from 204 to 160, bad cholesterol down, good cholesterol up, (don't recall those exact numbers, but they were significant), and lowered triglycerides, which weren't that high anyway, and have stayed that way by simply following most of the same principles of the diet, without actually adhering to it verbatim.

Oh yeah, it was Atkins.

Damn near any diet works, if you are a disciplined practitioner of it.

BTW, I lost 40lbs 3 years ago, dropped my cholesterol from 204 to 160, bad cholesterol down, good cholesterol up, (don't recall those exact numbers, but they were significant), and lowered triglycerides, which weren't that high anyway, and have stayed that way by simply following most of the same principles of the diet, without actually adhering to it verbatim.

Oh yeah, it was Atkins.

I have a history of kidney problems, so Atkins would have the high potential of killing me or hospitalizing me due to the fact it can cause kidney scarring and due to the fact it works by voluntarily putting your body into a form of ketoacidosis, which can also destroy your kidneys. Not sure what the effects are if you're healthy, but with kidney problems it's a no no. I do know a lot of people that shed a lot of weight with it though.

I personally avoid any "crash" diets like Atkins. The best success I've had dieting was on the Abs Diet from Men's Health. Its simple to follow and full of healthy foods. However more and more research is pointing towards the Paleo diet as the way to go, so you'll have to decide on your own.

:new_idea:I strongly suggest you NOT try the Atkins Diet.

Good luck with whatever one you do try.

Discipline is the key, though.
Discipline is definitely my biggest hurdle as I'm learning today. I'm not hungry, and the Army taught me how to deal with that issue anyway. The problem I'm having so far today is resisting the urge to snack. I'm the first to admit I'm addicted to sugar. I haven't slipped, and I don't plan on it, but I never realized until today what a grip sugary sweets really have on me.
I personally avoid any "crash" diets like Atkins. The best success I've had dieting was on the Abs Diet from Men's Health. Its simple to follow and full of healthy foods. However more and more research is pointing towards the Paleo diet as the way to go, so you'll have to decide on your own.
I'm the same way, never tried Atkins or had the desire to once I read up on it. Same with the South Beach diet. I had never heard of the Paleo diet until you mentioned it, so I just read up on it, and from what I read, it's the exact same thing as the 17 day diet. Exact same foods and principles, the 17 day diet just structures it day by day to make it easier to follow.
see a nutritionalist.
Already have, my doctor's PA is a certified nutritional guidance expert.
diets dont work and if you make them too strict you tend to resent them and break them.
I agree with you, but read up on the 17 day diet before you lump it in with other diet plans, it isn't like it sounds. It gives you a balance of healthy food, but doesn't restrict you to fat free, zero carbs, etc. like most diets do. It allows for a lot of things, and the second and third stages of the diet allow for eating out, snacking, eating how you want on weekends, etc. In moderation, of course.

The major benefit I have with this diet plan is that because of my health issues I've been on a sodium and saturated fat restricted diet for over 2 years already. I have already been eating a lot healthier than I did 2 years ago and have already lost 30 pounds as a result, but the 17 day diet seems to me like it will help me balance my diet even better. It's full of foods I already eat all the time anyway.

The major difference between this diet and how I was already eating, is that I had been snacking a lot and drinking a lot of soda and Red Bull. This diet pretty much cuts those things out, and I almost have to make zero other changes.

but if you find a way to eat healthy AND have stuff you like in moderation you are likely to stick to it and lose weight.
That's exactly why I have a lot of hope for this diet, it just cuts out the last few things I've been meaning to cut out anyway.

and running/walking will break any frame your body may have. and thats as simple as getting off the couch and going outside.
This is my biggest hurdle. My knees are almost completely failing to function. I do have the advantage of having several community pools at my disposal, so I will be utilizing them starting as soon as they open next week. This diet calls for 17 minutes of aerobic workouts per day. Anyone who can't handle that has more problems than just needing to lose weight.

i didnt mean to sound like i was calling the 17 day bad; just meant most "diets" in general. snacking is my biggest obstacle. well that and the fact i drink/work in the craft beer industry. if you have a pool to use thats better than any other exercise you can get.

i wish you the best of luck and keep me informed on how youre doing.
Oh, I know, I didn't mean it to sound like that. I'm from the same line of thinking you are - diets generally suck, everything about them. That's why I've never tried one until now.

The no snacking is more brutal than a non snacker could ever fathom. In the past, I used to drink 4-6 cans of soda every day. In the past year, that number has dropped to 1 or 2 if that. I'm actually really glad I made that transition a long time ago, because cutting out the soda doesn't bother me at all. Also, I've never liked fried or salty food, so I can't miss something I don't eat anyway.

The thing I'm mad about is that box of Twinkies I got for a killer deal that's sitting in the cupboard yelling my name lol. I'll admit I'm not the healthy snacking type. I love fruits and vegetables don't get me wrong, I'm just the type that doesn't view either as a snack, and doubt I ever will.

I will definitely keep everyone updated on the progress or failure of this diet.

Today is day 1. I went to the doctor yesterday and had my blood labs come back, had my weight checked, etc. I plan to do the same each cycle to see my progress beyond weight loss. I will update at the end of each cycle.

Day1
Weight: 204 lbs
HDL: 25 (I know, I know)
LDL: 119
Total Cholesterol: 193
Triglycerides: 243
Blood Pressure (average): 138/86

Well, whatever Honorary Hog is doing is working. The man has lost 70 pounds.

Well, when I asked him he said...

He saw an add in the paper that said, "Lose All The Weight You Want For Only Ten Dollars Per Pound", so he figured, WTF?

He went to the address, walked inside and told the receptionist that he wanted to try the program.

"How much weight would you like to lose today", she asked.

He told her, "Let's try 5lbs".

"That'll be $50 please". She then told him to go in yonder room, and take off his clothes, and weigh himself. So, he walks into this huge, empty, round room. Soon as he finished stripping and weighing himself, in walks a gorgeous, naked brunette, who tells him, "If you can catch me, you can **** me."

He said it took him 25 minutes to finally run her down. 5 minutes to catch his breath. And then he threw a 15 minute thrashing on her that he's sure was the time of her life. Jumped back on the scale and voila, 5.2lbs, gone!

Needless to say, he went back again the next day.

"How much do you want to try today", asked the receptionist.

"10lbs please."

He heads to the room, strips, weighs, and in walks two of prettiest, sexiest women you've ever seen. "If you can catch us, you can **** us"

Well, not only were these gals even hotter than the chick from the day before, but they were also in better aerobic condition. Took him an hour the first one, and if the second wouldn't have slipped, he might have never caught her. After it was over, up on the scale, 10.3lbs, buh-bye!

So the next day, assured that the $10 per pound sales pitch was legit, he figured he'd really have some fun.

"How much today?", asked the receptionist.

"50lbs", he confidently stated.

He heads to the room, strips and weighs, tingling with anticipation.

In walks Mike Tyson, and Albert Haynesworth.

"If we catch you, we're gonna **** you"

Ax, he told me about that exercise program, I didn't want to disclose it here without his approval! :laugh:

I lost close to that on the Abs Diet. I just didn't adhere to it, and went back to my old bad habits after a nasty break up (weak sauce, I know).

I think the major factor was my work in the gym - lots of cardio and full-body lifts. Building muscle is the best fat-loss strategy - it takes around 20-50 calories a day to maintain one pound of muscle just sitting on your couch. Running is okay, but running alone will not do the trick for everyone. I've heard the best running tool for weight-loss is interval training in combination with distance running.

I lost close to that on the Abs Diet. I just didn't adhere to it, and went back to my old bad habits after a nasty break up (weak sauce, I know).

I think the major factor was my work in the gym - lots of cardio and full-body lifts. Building muscle is the best fat-loss strategy - it takes around 20-50 calories a day to maintain one pound of muscle just sitting on your couch. Running is okay, but running alone will not do the trick for everyone. I've heard the best running tool for weight-loss is interval training in combination with distance running.

Yeah, I have lost 50 pounds 2 separate times. Problem is putting it back on. Sucks!

It is a lifestyle change! Taking the weight off has never been a problem, it's keeping it off.

Yeah, I have lost 50 pounds 2 separate times. Problem is putting it back on. Sucks!

It is a lifestyle change! Taking the weight off has never been a problem, it's keeping it off.

Truer words have not been spoken.

This is the major problem with the "crash" diets - they're even harder to maintain. Lifestyle change is the exact right word - you can't diet, you literally have to change the way you live.

my problem is I work out so heavy that I dont see the lbs come off on the scale and I get discouraged. I am definitely getting defined more and more but I want to drop some ****ing LBS!!
Muscle weighs more, as I'm sure you know. One can notice a big difference in how your clothes fit, without seeing the scale move.

Truer words have not been spoken.

This is the major problem with the "crash" diets - they're even harder to maintain. Lifestyle change is the exact right word - you can't diet, you literally have to change the way you live.
Any diet that is different from what you're currently doing is a lifestyle change. Adhering to any diet is hard. You can call it any kind of diet you want, but at the end of the day, if you don't stick to it, you won't succeed.

All diets are the same, in that respect.

yeah, I get all that but when you wnt to see something and dont it is discouraging. I want to see the numbers on the scale drop. I cant get below 250 no matter how much I try. I run and I drop down to 252 but then I lose strength so I go back to the gym.

stupid weight..
Maybe you need to temporarily sacrifice some strength, to achieve some scale movement.

Could be as simple as a little calorie intake adjustment.

meh, i prefer to just complain about not getting my way and hoping that works..lol

it is a caloric intake honestly, im a snacker and a beer drinker. love me some porters and stouts.
:new_idea:Well then, just find you some hot little number that just finished off some porter and stouts, and eat her instead.

I don't know if it has been mentioned or not, but the South Beach diet is both practical, practicable, and works. The guy is a cardiologist and the first thing he said about the Atkins diet is that you may loose weight doing it but eating a pound of bacon and a dozen eggs for breakfast does no good for your heart. In other words, doing Atkins will work, but you are not doing your health any favors. Plus, everyone I know who did it lost weight then gained it back because they didn't affect a lifestyle change.

Dieting is really pretty easy - less in, more out. We are getting fatter as a nation because we have so much that is easy to put in that is way bad for us. Loaded with sugar, fat, calories, etc. It is easier to eat unhealthy than to take the time to steam some vegetables, grill, cut down on the carbs, eat leaner and less fatty foods, and exercise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.