• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's The Most Unexpectedly Awesome Movie You've Ever Seen?

I just thought of three more movies to add to the list....

1. Shutter Island
2. American Psycho (Christian Bale version)
3. Jonah Hex

I hate everything about Christian Bale, and had no desire to see this movie whatsoever. A female friend of mine suggested it, but she also has a thing for Bale, so I assumed her love of the movie was based entirely on this fact. She made me watch it, and I wasn't disappointed. Oddly, it is now one of my all time favorites, and I don't think anyone could have played the part better than Christian Bale.

Shutter Island appealed to me because of who made it, but Leonardo DiCaprio is my all time least favorite actor. I put off watching it for the longest time, because he's one of those actors I just can't tolerate looking at, because he is god awful at his job (other than his amazing performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape - also an unexpectedly awesome movie) But I said hell, it's a Scorsese movie, it has to be awesome. So I watched it and learned two things.....it's the craziest movie with the craziest twist I have ever seen, and Leo apparently has taken some acting classes lol.

Jonah Hex was a movie I never knew existed until it premiered on HBO last night. I only watched it, because there was absolutely nothing on last night. I found it odd that it was barely over an hour long, but I was way more pleased than I thought I would be, especially since I had never read the comic book, and the summary sounded lame ass all hell. Ended up being a pretty good flick. Not awesome, and I'd never watch it again most likely, but I was impressed.

I am just the opposite with Leonardo. He is one of my favorite actors. If he is in it, I am seeing it. I hardly ever see anything of his that I do not like.

I have not seen Jonah Hex yet. It is at the bottom of my list. When I read that the people that funded the movie walked out during it's initial showing, I was turned off. But, it is on the list.

I am just the opposite with Leonardo. He is one of my favorite actors. If he is in it, I am seeing it. I hardly ever see anything of his that I do not like.
I'm not denying he's been in great movies. In fact, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Departed, Shutter Island and Catch Me If You Can are some of my favorite movies. I just don't like him. Outside of a few roles, dude can't act. That's why he's always the one person in those movies that never wins or gets nominated for Oscars.

The only big name actor right off hand that I can think of that's a worse actor is Ben Affleck. I swear, if you say you think he's a great actor, I'm gonna slap your momma :laugh:

I have not seen Jonah Hex yet. It is at the bottom of my list. When I read that the people that funded the movie walked out during it's initial showing, I was turned off. But, it is on the list.
Damn, that's brutal lol.

I'm not denying he's been in great movies. In fact, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Departed, Shutter Island and Catch Me If You Can are some of my favorite movies. I just don't like him. Outside of a few roles, dude can't act. That's why he's always the one person in those movies that never wins or gets nominated for Oscars.

The only big name actor right off hand that I can think of that's a worse actor is Ben Affleck. I swear, if you say you think he's a great actor, I'm gonna slap your momma :laugh:

Damn, that's brutal lol.

Afflict can NOT act (you're welcome, Mom). But he can direct the **** out of a movie. The Town and Gone, Baby, Gone being prime examples of his excellent directorial work.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

My momma can hit back and she can be pretty nasty..don't think you want to do that Extreme.

I agree with Goaldeje....Affleck can not act, but his directing is top notch!

The Killers - If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor. It's got Ashton Kutcher, which blows, but Katherine Heigl makes up for it. It also has Tom Selleck and his epic mustache.

Me and my wife were scrolling through all the on demand movies, and when we got to Epix, The Killers was on the list. I had no desire to see it, but Ashton makes my wife moist, so we watched it. Great movie. Hilarious with a good plot. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Killers was o.k. A movie I liked better that is along the same lines is Knight and Day. I thought it was terrific.

The Killers was o.k. A movie I liked better that is along the same lines is Knight and Day. I thought it was terrific.
Still haven't seen that. My buddy just suggested it a few minutes ago after I told him about The Killers. I guess I'm gonna have to check it out.

Just watched 'Love & Other Drugs' this past weekend, and it was hilarious. Lots of Anne Hathaway in her birthday suit also, which is never a bad thing. The movie was actually really good too, with really good acting. Josh Gad had a great performance; he's kind of a poor man's Jonah Hill.

'Hitch' was a movie I thought was gonna be really dumb, but turned out to be one of my favorites. Now I watch it whenever it comes on TBS or whatever.

The Matrix is the first thing that comes to mind. I went in being coerced by a friend, thinking it was going to be a dumb sic-fi movie. Blew my mind. I remember being absolutely blown away and sitting there talking about for days.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

You sat in the theater for days? ;)

I watched Dinner With Schmucks. Had no intention of ever watching it, but it ended up being right up there with the funniest movies I've ever seen.

a few months ago I was surfing and saw a list called " the best movies nobody watched" and number one was some artsy fartsy looking show called " the fall" even the descriptions sounds lame and artsy. " 1920's hollywood stuntman gets paralysed in a fall and his girl leaves him for the leading man, while in the hospital recovering he meets a young immigrant girl who is there after falling and breaking her arm. he tells her a story to pass the time."

I don't use hyperbole to describe movies but honest to god, its the best movie I have ever watched. the cinematography is amazing, the little girl is an amazing actress and the way the director juxtaposes the story the stunt man is telling with how the little girl sees it IS BRILLIANT. I wont give away too much, but seriously, watch the movie, I have yet to have anyone tell me they didnt like it.

One of my all time favorites and perhaps way before its time is The Day of the Dolphin with George C. Scott. A good feel good movie that I watched only because a young Mark Harmon in it was Summer School. Ended up being one of the funniest movies I've seen; yet a good core plot IMHO.

Last edited:
A good feel good movie that I watched only because a young Mark Harmon in it was Summer School. Ended up being one of the funniest movies I've seen; yet a good core plot IMHO.
I must've seen that 100 times when I was younger, I loved it.

Well, not real a fan of fantasy, but last year on my fiance's birthday I took her to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D. It is her favorite book/play/movie.

I was simply amazed how much I enjoyed that movie. Maybe it was the technology, maybe it was because my fiance was so happy, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not to mention Helena Bonham Carter, one of my favorites, was awesome running around the movie yelling, "Off with their head!"

Some great recommendations, kiidz. Thx!!

I have a fav that, while I knew I would like it - I had NO IDEA HOW MUCH I'd like it. It ends up being my absolute favorite movie of all time.

3 words:

Kentucky
Fried
Movie

I saw it every day for two weeks in the theatre the summer it came out.

Watched a pretty good one on Netflix instant viewing last weekend...'Wrecked' with Adrian Brody. Guy wakes up pinned in a wrecked car in the middle of the wilderness, dead guy in the back seat, driver thrown through the windshield, bag of money in the trunk. Has no idea who he is or how he got there.

Worth a watch.

Checked this out through Amazon Prime this afternoon, and was blown away.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381681/

Before Sunset

Not an action movie, or really very exciting, but terrific acting and cinematography and just a great piece of conversation.

I love, love, love this movie. The conversation when they're in the van on the way to her apt is fantastic. I enjoyed Before Sunrise as well, but I liked this one better. I also like the ending.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.