• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Om Field: Quick Review: Six Campbell Pass Plays

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to think there was a football game played at M&T Bank Stadium Thursday night. I’m not one of them.Don’t worry. I’m not going to go on about NFL teams approaching preseason games so differently, and using them for such different purposes, that projecting any regular-season meaning onto them—final score or otherwise—is a straight waste of time.And I won’t get into how these

More...

Nice analysis brother. I need to sit down today and watch the game to see if I agree.

Good analytical piece, Om. I'm wondering if, in the comments I've read about a "tepid" offense, one may substitute the word "timid"?

Not so much "timid" as "intentionally cautious" in my view, serv. Zorn admitted that outright in the postgame ... he acknowledged that pass protection was a concern coming in given how things have gone in camp.

My guess is there was a reason the whopping six pass plays all were short to intermediate, and only one called for a 7-step drop. He wasn't about to let Campbell get crushed or let the OL start off the preseason on a bad note. The way Baltimore plays preseason (they're pretty much blitzing when they get off the bus), I have no problem with him easing into the passing game to protect both his QB and his OL.

Not sure how Pittsburgh will open next week, but I suspect it will not be like Baltimore did, who actually did NOT send any extra bodies until I believe Jason's sixth and last pass of the night. I suspect Pitt will come after us from the very beginning, as I think Zorn expected Baltimore to. Which means we're likely to see a pretty conservative/cautious approach again.

Unless Zorn gets a wild hair, that is. :cool4:

Watched the game today and I mostly agree with your analysis, Om. Big surprise there, I know. I did have a couple of thoughts as sort of an addition/possible explanation.

On the third attempt (1st-10, Wash 38) I am thinking Campbell read straight man coverage with the DBs all up on the line in press position like they were. At the snap, the DB on ARE in the slot gave him a slight bump and released him to the inside then dropped into what appeared to this layman to be more of a zone and which put him right in the passing lane Campbell was trying to use to go to Thomas. If he was reading some sort of blitz at the same time, he might have been using a hot read to Thomas but that is just me thinking (might also be making excuses for a QB I would really like to see succeed).

On the fourth attempt (3rd-6, Was 42) I rather like what Campbell did. I think had that been any one of the top 4 guys on the roster at WR they come down with it and if it had been Kelly or Thomas there was a real chance for serious yards after the catch due to the height difference. I am guessing you got some views on the live show that those of us seeing it on the NFL version a day later didn't get cause I could not see any of Cooley's position as described by you at all so your evaluation could certainly be better than mine.

Over all I was pleased with the pass protection while the starters were in the game. Rinehart did much better at it then I had expected although he got whipped on at least the first running play of the game. This showing by him has me breathing a bit easier about the backup situation for Thomas at least. Still holding out judgment on the RT position, although Williams was better than expected against Baltimore's seconds and thirds. Really scary is the thought of losing Samuels...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.