• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Zorn Bothered by Lack of Effort in Loss

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/-usually-upbeat-and-animated.html#more

Usually upbeat and animated, Coach Jim Zorn seemed perturbed Friday while addressing the media at Redskins Park.

Losing, 23-0, in a preseason opener will do that to a coach - especially if many young players fail to display enough effort. It would have been unrealistic for Zorn to expect a polished performance in the Redskins' first game, and being shut out while giving up 500 total net yards also dampened his mood.

It was the lack of effort Zorn observed, however, that really irked him.

"Not scoring points, not sustaining drives, it's irritating," Zorn said. "I've got to call a better game and I've got to put our guys in a position to score. That's No. 1 from my standpoint. And then No. 2, I think our young guys" must figure out how things work in the NFL.

Many of the young players competing to make the 53-man opening-day roster approached Thursday's game as if they had it all figured out. "They've watched this game [NFL football] all their lives, they've finally got a chance to go out there and play it, and [they] think it's going to be just like it was before.

"And it's not just like it was before. It is intense. It is exact. And it is passionate. And it is emotional. I felt like some of the young guys saw some of our veterans, who played great, [and] saw they're going to have to pick things up. And we played guys, quite honestly, that need to improve. They need to play better in the coming weeks."

Looking at the roster in the offseason, I figured the Redskins could have depth concerns with many units unless unproven players improved quickly. Again, it appears Zorn and J Reid are on the same page

CLICK LINK FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE

I thought 'lack of effort' was the gameplan, spoiled by those impetuous 'over zealous' Ravens? :)

I listened to the entire press conference, and never once heard Zorn say anything about "lack of effort." He said something Zornishly ambiguous at one point about "playing soft" in connection with the young corners that I thought at the time (and still do) referred to allowing too much cushion to the WR's, but that's it.

You guys have heard enough morning-after press conferences to know how easy it is to catch a coach, in answering the same questions five different times and trying to make the answers different, saying something that taken out of context sounds very different than it did in context.

Reid definitely did that here, and presumably the part people are zeroing in on is "And it's not just like it was before. It is intense. It is exact. And it is passionate. And it is emotional. I felt like some of the young guys saw some of our veterans, who played great, [and] saw they're going to have to pick things up. And we played guys, quite honestly, that need to improve. They need to play better in the coming weeks."

Well ... yeah. They lost 23-0, and the youngsters got smoked. What's he going to do, come out and say "we competed?" :paranoid:

And Boone ... you're smooth. ;)

Have you seen the "game" yet? Be curious about your take.

I watched the possessions run by the starting offense. I did not see any indication that we were playing the game like a scrimmage and that the Ravens were playing like it was a playoff game.

Do I need to watch more?

OM, thanks for clearing that up. I love that the media can get away with grabbing a snippet or two to distort the actual message. But I have personally seen a lack of effort.

I attended one Training Camp session this year and I have to tell you it is no wonder why there is seemingly no real effort. Granted it was one practice, but when I was competing if we ever performed on the practice field the way I saw many of the players perform that day at camp our coach would have flipped his lid!

I will give one example: Mike Sellers! Throughout the entire morning practice he was lazy and full of laughs and jokes. He walked around like he didn't need to be there. During exercises, ie. stretching or running, he would often just take a knee. The man is in incredible physical condition, but out on the field that day he looked as though he felt he did not need to be there. Then on a couple of screen passes thrown his way, he dropped them. I know he is a FB but do you think that was his approach in Training Camp the season he caught all those TD's?

I think this is part of the reason we see a lot a pulled hamstrings in practice. I did not see them taking the stretching exercises seriously so everyone is left wondering why several of our receivers always seem to be pulling something. Anyone see Limas Sweed the other night? He looked so much better than either Thomas or Kelly. I'd wager his coaches don't stand for that ****.

From what I read on this board there are several athletes and many played football. Didn't your coaches ever suggest that how you perform on the practice field is how you will play during game time? Mine did so we practiced hard and because of it, we competed at a very high level.

I think it is indicative of today's NFL, heck pro sports in general, but I don't see coaches willing to stand up to the prima donnas because they are too afraid of losing their jobs. But the ones who are in control of their teams always seem to be the winners.

I listened to the entire press conference, and never once heard Zorn say anything about "lack of effort." He said something Zornishly ambiguous at one point about "playing soft" in connection with the young corners that I thought at the time (and still do) referred to allowing too much cushion to the WR's, but that's it.

You guys have heard enough morning-after press conferences to know how easy it is to catch a coach, in answering the same questions five different times and trying to make the answers different, saying something that taken out of context sounds very different than it did in context.

Reid definitely did that here, and presumably the part people are zeroing in on is "And it's not just like it was before. It is intense. It is exact. And it is passionate. And it is emotional. I felt like some of the young guys saw some of our veterans, who played great, [and] saw they're going to have to pick things up. And we played guys, quite honestly, that need to improve. They need to play better in the coming weeks."

Well ... yeah. They lost 23-0, and the youngsters got smoked. What's he going to do, come out and say "we competed?" :paranoid:

And Boone ... you're smooth. ;)

Have you seen the "game" yet? Be curious about your take.

Nope - and probably won't have a chance. I've got the NFL Ticket, but only via the pc, and they don't show anything pre-season related.

Enjoyed your Om Field entry giving details on the JC pass plays - great stuff :cheers: Certainly provided some balance to the viewpoints out there (which are pretty much all doom and gloom). It's funny, you're exactly correct, that every year much ado is made about pre-season appearances which turn out to be nothing when the season starts. Yet it seems an almost irresistible urge - I feel the pull myself :) I've said before, and I believe it, that pre-season spazzing is the fan's way of steeling themselves against the possibility their team could suck. It's like an inoculation against the perennial hopes for success.

As for the presser comments, like you said, the media already has its story written. They have no problem manipulating facts and words to go along with it.

I watched the game and paid close attention to the starting offense. They did….ok. As others have said it takes more time for an offense to come around than it does for a defense. So I’m not in any kind of panic at all yet. If by the 3rd pre-season game we haven't got in the end zone then they'll be taking my belt and shoe laces away and putting me on suicide watch.

I might be reading too much into the performance Thursday by going where I’m about to go here. I think the way we consistently build a top heavy (pay wise) team the depth after our starters gets thin very quickly. What I’m suggesting is the Ravens’ second team probably has more talent than our second team, thus we got smoked. It all goes back to what I harp on about building through the draft. That’s why it seems that every time we get any starter hurt there isn’t any quality depth waiting to step in. See, I told you I might be trying to read too much into this. It’s just the first pre-season game. I should relax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.