• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

This is suicide, admit workers trying to avert a catastrophe

Sarge

In my book, the word "Hero" is used waaaay too freely nowadays. Firefighters, cops, military, just by joining people sling the word "hero" toward you

These guys are HEROS. They know damn well they're going to die from radiation exposure, yet they're still going in and trying to shut down these reactors to save everyone else

Balls to the max

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-suicide-mission-battle-nuclear-meltdown.html

Poignant messages sent home by the workers trying to prevent full-scale nuclear catastrophe at Japan's stricken nuclear plant reveal that they know they are on a suicide mission.

One of the 'Fukushima Fifty' said they were stoically accepting their fate 'like a death sentence'.

Another, having absorbed a near-lethal dose of radiation, told his wife: 'Please continue to live well, I cannot be home for a while.'

Heart Wrenching. Just can't imagine having to sacrifice myself, knowing what it would do to my children. Very difficult times.

I'm just at a loss at how they could not have these plants better protected from a tsunami. It isn't like it's a surprise or even freak occurrence in that region. If you're building a Nuclear plant in that area, high ground would seem a must to eliminate one of the likely threats.

Favorite.
Sarge.
Post.
Ever.

Totally agree. There are crossroads in a lifetime where one has to make tough decisions. Can't imagine a tougher one that this.

That these men/women have made the choice they've made is nothing short of inspiring. An academy award-winning movie will someday tell their story.

Would any of us be willing to do such a thing? My answer is "hope to never face such a situation".

Prayers for everyone in this region. They need that and so much more. May God bless them all.

It's the ultimate dilemma. Walk and you know that you may be putting thousands of lives at risk. Stay, and your own life is all but over.

No simpler, or more difficult decision one could ever make.

What makes me an optimist is that I believe, ultimately (and incredibly), most people faced with that kind of dilemma will make the selfless decision. I really believe that.

You remind me of a short movie that was shown in church services some twenty years ago. A husband/father operated the local train tracks and was tasked with various duties at the station.

On one particular day, his very young son decided to take a friendly run and see his father at work (about half a mile away). As the child was crossing a bridge on the main tracks, a train was a approaching. The father, seeing his son, realized that he had two choices. First, divert the train and take a chance that it would probably end up in the water below with many lives lost or let the train continue on and sacrifice his son. He chose the latter.

It's a modern day parable, but it made for a very poignant lesson.

I would add that what makes this kind of sacrifice even more poignant is the fact that the instrument of death can't be seen hurtling toward it's victims - it is death invisible. That makes the sacrifice even more awe-inspiring.

Boone hit it. Sarge, that was a magnificent post. I totally agree that the overuse of the word "hero" has cheapened it-this is heroism on a scale most couldn't imagine.

There's another word that this applies to as well.

Courage.

What these workers are doing is the absolute definition of courage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.