• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Obama Urged to Seize Reins as Crises Pile Up

Sarge

Why is this guy is AWOL?

Unless you count picking your NCAA bracket and calling a conference on bullying as "leadership"

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/14/obama-urged-seize-reins-crises-pile/

A conflict approaching civil war in Libya. An end-times tsunami in Japan. A Congress that can't reach a budget.

And ... gender inequality?

The topic of President Obama's weekend radio address has raised some eyebrows, as Obama has met mounting crises with the same restraint and cool that characterized his slow-and-steady campaign for president. To some critics, the tone set by the White House in light of recent upheaval may hurt the president's public image.

Amid chaos around the world and on Capitol Hill, Obama's Saturday radio address was devoted to Women's History Month and a call to pass the Paycheck Fairness Act, a proposal meant to address the income gap between men and women. Then, the president went golfing at Andrews Air Force Base.

http://www.politico.com/playbook/

PRESIDENT OBAMA is taping his NCAA picks today, and they’ll be revealed tomorrow on ESPN. … NATE SILVER’s March Madness bracket http://nyti.ms/fc2qH9 ... At 11:25 a.m., Obama will tape interviews from the Map Room with KOAT Albuquerque, KDKA Pittsburgh and WVEC Hampton Roads on education reform and the need to fix No Child Left Behind.

He's a lecturer....not a leader.

but we knew that from day 1.

Sarge, typically, I agree with about 1% of your politically oriented posts, but I'm with you on this one 100%. Since the healthcare debate, he has, for some reason chosen to take a backseat and let his staffers handle the message. Even if he's making policy behind the scenes, he appears completely detached during these trying times. I don't doubt the guy's engaged and making decisions, but he's really failing to inspire any confidence.

I know most don't want to hear it, but Obama is making GW look like Jefferson by comparison.

He's a nice man - but like a lot of would be politicians, has no idea what it is he wants to accomplish when he actually gets there, or how to even begin to achieve it. He'll go down as one of the most passive, ineffective Presidents of the modern era.

I know most don't want to hear it, but Obama is making GW look like Jefferson by comparison.

He's a nice man - but like a lot of would be politicians, has no idea what it is he wants to accomplish when he actually gets there, or how to even begin to achieve it. He'll go down as one of the most passive, ineffective Presidents of the modern era.

Correct. He is hiding cause he wants a second term, if he stays out of the frey there is nothing to hold his feet to. Now most thinking people will say "no way it will ruin his chances", but we have to understand our voters and the ones he can conjure.

He isnt attached to any of this, he is letting others faces be attached to all the trouble. He doesnt have to come up with solutions to get relected by them, he just has to stay distant.

If I was him I would want to stay president, but you guys would never elect me.

Correct. He is hiding cause he wants a second term, if he stays out of the frey there is nothing to hold his feet to. Now most thinking people will say "no way it will ruin his chances", but we have to understand our voters and the ones he can conjure.

He isnt attached to any of this, he is letting others faces be attached to all the trouble. He doesnt have to come up with solutions to get relected by them, he just has to stay distant.

If I was him I would want to stay president, but you guys would never elect me.

further compounded by the fact that we have a feckless Congress.

I'm thinking of starting a pool soon for predicting the date we finally reach financial meltdown.

Sarge, typically, I agree with about 1% of your politically oriented posts, but I'm with you on this one 100%.

1%? I must be slipping:laugh:

No "reins seizing" here

http://blogs.forbes.com/kenrapoza/2011/03/14/obama-heads-to-rio-sunday-maximum-security-awaits/

President Barack Obama will take his first official trip to Brazil this weekend where he will speak in the popular Cinelandia Square in downtown Rio de Janeiro. Access, of course, will be tightly restricted and security measures so secretive that not even the Embassy or US Consulate in Rio know exactly who it’s all going to go down. Obama’s speech will be free and open to the public and take place around 15:00 local time (14:00 EST). Access to the square will begin at 11:30, and is sure to draw a crowd. Obama is popular in Brazil. One politician seeking office in Rio actually changed his name to Barack Obama in 2008 to solicit votes. He didn’t win.

The Obama family will also take in the sights in Rio. A trip to Corcovado mountain, where the Christ the Redeemer statue stands (France gave us Lady Liberty, gave Brazil Jesus) is supposedly on the itinerary. What trip to Rio would be complete without it? If they do make it to the top of the mountain, they will do so with an entourage of secret service and Brazil’s Elite Squad, known as BOPE.

1%? I must be slipping:laugh:

No "reins seizing" here

http://blogs.forbes.com/kenrapoza/2011/03/14/obama-heads-to-rio-sunday-maximum-security-awaits/

President Barack Obama will take his first official trip to Brazil this weekend where he will speak in the popular Cinelandia Square in downtown Rio de Janeiro. Access, of course, will be tightly restricted and security measures so secretive that not even the Embassy or US Consulate in Rio know exactly who it’s all going to go down. Obama’s speech will be free and open to the public and take place around 15:00 local time (14:00 EST). Access to the square will begin at 11:30, and is sure to draw a crowd. Obama is popular in Brazil. One politician seeking office in Rio actually changed his name to Barack Obama in 2008 to solicit votes. He didn’t win.

The Obama family will also take in the sights in Rio. A trip to Corcovado mountain, where the Christ the Redeemer statue stands (France gave us Lady Liberty, gave Brazil Jesus) is supposedly on the itinerary. What trip to Rio would be complete without it? If they do make it to the top of the mountain, they will do so with an entourage of secret service and Brazil’s Elite Squad, known as BOPE.

BOPE and Change!

Could you imagine if GWB was acting like this? He'd be getting killed in the media

This morning on WVEC they had a clip of Obama talking about the 5 VA schools in the NCAA tournament and how he thought they would do.

I just hope and pray we can afford another two years before we have the chance for change.

This morning on WVEC they had a clip of Obama talking about the 5 VA schools in the NCAA tournament and how he thought they would do.

I just hope and pray we can afford another two years before we have the chance for change.

Well, there's priorities, ya know.

Normally, don't mind him being on the golf course or on some vacation, because I figure he can't be screwing something else up if he's out of town

But this is getting stupid. If I were he, I would take a trip to Japan to visit the military. Not a "Look at me" trip like he's prone to do, but an actual "look out for the troops and tell them "Good job!" type trip. While there he could make a speech saying the US will stand by our ally and do all we can to help.

But that's me

Gotta say, I was disappointed to hear he was filming his bracket picks again this year, in the middle of everything going on. Then, on top of that, he's going on an "official" trip to Brazil and going sightseeing. This is just shameful at this point - the so-called "leader of the free world" is an embarrassment right now.

Unreal. I'm beginning to think he's gone back to his Hawaii ways and started toting up

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/03/16/president-obamas-2011-ncaa-brackets

One of the things I wanted to do on the show was, as people are filling out their brackets -- this is obviously a national pastime; we all have a great time, it’s a great diversion. But I know a lot of people are thinking how can they help the Japanese people during this time of need. If you go to usaid.gov -- usaid.gov -- that will list all the nonprofits, the charities that are helping out there. It would be wonderful for people to maybe offer a little help to the Japanese people at this time -- as they’re filling out their brackets. It’s not going to take a lot of time. That's usaid.gov. It could be really helpful.

I keep trying to think of something to add, but I got nuthin. You guys pretty much covered it.

Speaking of Rio...you guys seen this movie? I should have posted it in the Re-watchable movie thread, but since we're talking about Rio...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/

Anyway, great movie if you can stand subtitles.

Now back to our regularly scheduled disgust with Obama.

Gas prices across the region keep going up. The average for regular unleaded is up 10 cents a gallon to $3.66 a gallon in WTOP's Price at the Pump survey.

Midgrade averages $3.81 a gallon, also up 10 cents.

For those who buy premium gas, the hike is steeper at $3.97 a gallon.

Americans are noticing higher prices at the grocery store, and it’s about to get worse. Wholesale food prices rose last month by the most in 36 years.

As Growing Evidence Points to Need for Spending Cuts, President Keeps Head in the Sand

Senate Democrats vented their frustration with Obama's failure to lead on spending cuts Tuesday evening, expressing their anger that the President has left the task of deficit reduction almost entirely to Congress:

"At a closed-door session on the budget, nine Democratic senators spent parts of the 30-minute meeting whacking the White House for not being more engaged, according to people who were present.

"The open irritation with the White House comes just as Reid announced support for the Republican-led bill which passed in the House Tuesday and funds the government for another two weeks, while slashing $4 billion. Senate Democrats' call for Obama to step it up is a precursor to two looming fights: one over a bill to fund the government for the rest of the fiscal year, and another on whether to raise the national debt limit."

1:35 PM
Obama meets with USAID Administrator Raj Shah. USAID is directing U.S. aid in Japan.

2:00 PM
Obama meets with senior advisers.

Wow. 25 whole minutes

Today it's off to Rio. Maybe he'll stay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.