• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Japan hit by strongest quake ever (8.9) - tsunami warnings up for Pacific

Wow. Just wow. The video footage is like nothing I was expecting. That was a huge tsunami. Inundated an entire airport. Destroyed ports - entire ports. Tossed that 18 wheeler around like a matchbox toy. Tons of fires. Huge ships tossed around like a bathtub toy.

The tsunami will be affecting the rest of the Pacific in the next few hours.

Wow, what a mess. Unfortunately, looks like Hawaii is gonna get a six foot wave. Guess they should be happy it's only that small and not larger

The power and destruction from a wall of water is unbelieveable. Heard there were fights in gas lines in Hawaii this morning. Hope and pray everyone is safe.

I've been watching vids on this since about 5AM-the tsunami simply inundating an airport was scary. The force of it is simply frightening. There are tsunami alerts all over the Pacific now. Reports I have read indicate up to 9 meter tsunamis in NE Japan.

Wow.

The one video where the tsunami had split in two parts was showing cars racing away in one direction from the wave - only to be heading to the other part of the tsunami. Several cars speeding in the opposite direction was heading toward a same fate. Those people had no hope of escaping - it was horrifying to watch.

Never seen anything like this - the vids from 2004 were scary, but this really hits home with the live coverage and aerial shots as it happens. Got a terrible feeling that the death toll is going to be enormous.

Unbelievable. I've never seen anything like it.

I lived in Japan for several years. Space is at a premium so housing is closely crammed and of the paper mache variety.

Just some observations...

The lines we see for supplies is nothing short of remarkable, but should we be surprised and amazed??? The patience, respect, and sense of order is nothing like we would probably see in...eh, not going to say it.

Watching the rescues and care for elderly people in Japan is something that warms the heart. The elderly of Japan are genuinely respected by the younger generations and that is nothing like we would see in...eh, still not going to say it.

Japan will overcome this crisis with precision, attention to detail, and an industrial spirit. Watch it take no more than three years to accomplish. That is nothing like we would see in...eh, need to say it...

New Orleans.

oh geez man..what a crock of ****. japanese people deal with things just like we do. its just whatever spin you want to put on it.

here we go...how come the dam wasnt built better? they know they have massive quakes in that area.

why are the plants about to melt down? they know they have massive quakes in that area.

the emporer of japan doesnt care about asian people...

My compliments Mike, both on the sarcasm and accuracy of your response. I continually become frustrated and quite often furious at people's tendency to jump to wild, over-generalized conclusions and accusations with nothing more than their gut-level reactions to go on.

Your last sentence and the implied "jump without reason" to a totally unwarranted conclusion is endemic in political discussions, which is one of the main reasons I seldom join them.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.:thumbsup:

First off, the technology amazes me. Anyway, this is a great way to see exactly what the devastation has caused.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html?src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB

As amazing as the satellites above are, the video below is by far the most clear example of the true devastation I have seen from any footage yet. Take the time, if you have it, to watch all of this. It is awesome, and I don't mean that in the Redskins' just scored a TD way! The tremendous force of this strikes awe in me!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1605260179420&comments

Good Lord, El. That is amazing. Truly awe-inspiring. And horrifying as well.

Both tragedies brought/are bringing out the best in humanity and both brought/will bring out the worst in humanity. Time will tell if they are similar or different.

Keep in mind, Japan has dealt with earthquakes for 1000s of years; the people there have a lot of practice at rebuilding their homes. This is why they have the 'paper machet' construction as FS62 put it - easy to rebuild. Traditional Japanese residences used to be made out of rice paper!

US news reporting an explosion of some kind just occurred at Reactor #2. Have to wonder if a full-blown meltdown of one of these reactors isn't in progress or has even happened already.

Nuclear disaster = bad
Nuclear disaster on an island = really bad

An old troop of mine is stationed in Misawa, where they are staging some of the relief efforts. He said "It's just a ****ing mess"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.