• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agents Thread

Uh...Cullen Jenkins from the Packers? They decided not to tag him.

I dunno about Sidney Rice...hip injuries can be pretty devastating to a guy's speed. He could bounce back, but he might never be the same player. Would be good to bring him in, but I wouldn't want them to break the bank.

Make him pass a tough physical. His game isn't all predicated on speed anyway.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Thought it might be easier to consolidate instead of commenting on all the individual cuts.

Wanna bring Jason Taylor back?

<ducks>

Kidding, kidding. Gholston is the only one I would consider, and that only because of his age and talent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6168598

I'd pass on Gholston or any other underachiever to this point in their career who is viewed as someone who possesses talent, but just needs to harness it correctly.

Gholston failed in an environment where he was surrounded by arguably more defensive talent compared to the Redskins' defensive roster.

I'm personally a big fan of Mike Mayock, and he constantly emphasizes the importance of bringing in quality football people - people who are committed to being the first guys in the building and last ones out - people who are committed to winning and putting in maximum effort. These are the types of players we need to bring into this organization - not retreads who need new scenery to hopefully revive their careers. We can't afford wasting our time on these kinds of players anymore.

Uh...Cullen Jenkins from the Packers? They decided not to tag him.

This - Cullen Jenkins is a quality 3-4 DE, and a guy we seriously need to take a look at.

I wonder if Howard Green is available? :doh:

This - Cullen Jenkins is a quality 3-4 DE, and a guy we seriously need to take a look at.

I wonder if Howard Green is available? :doh:

Normally, FA determines what we do in the draft. This year could make that strategy bass ackwards if the new CBA doesn't happen until AFTER the draft. I could see us making a big run at him IF the CBA gets done before mid-April. If not, I think we draft a 3-4 DE.

The problem this presents is that it will drive up the price of UFA's since teams will be scrambling to fill holes not addressed through the draft.

I would prefer Free Agency happen BEFORE the draft so we could make a play for a guy like Jenkins and/or Aubrayo Franklin. Unfortunately, that likely won't happen which means we overpay after the draft or we go cheap and potentially suffer more growing pains within the rebuilding process.

I think the handwriting is on the wall. Allen isn't going to sign any veterans to big contracts. As in 2010, he is going to go dumpster diving for guys who have been injured or lost value in hopes of finding a diamond in the rough.

That's why Shaun Rogers and AJ Atogwe weren't signed here. The Redskins aren't letting real money get into their discussions and as a consequence veterans are choosing not to sign an incentive deal with a loser.

Not when they can go and play with Drew Brees or Tom Brady.

The above post was very tongue in cheek, btw.

LOL - Tiki Barber is a great first cut guy, and would have been perfect for Shanahan's system...10 years ago! Is this guy serious?

I did not realize NBC did not renew his contract. I thought he was decent, though seemed interested in establishing he had no NY bias, which I guess is why he is not welcome back to the VaGiants.

And people think Portis at 30 is done? :laugh:

Barber is 36 years old and his last 3-4 years showed 300 carry seasons.

Just say no.

Ditto with the 34 year old Burress.

He's a headcase and not a team player.

So, we have Rocky McIntosh, Jamal Brown, Santana Moss Rex Grossman and Carlos Rogers are all free agents as of right now. Do we get any of them back? Since Free Agency will probably take place after the draft, Shanahan and co are going to have to guess on whether they want to come back or not.

Chances of the players being a Redskin next year:

Rex Grossman 98% - He will be a starter in DC, will he even have a chance of starting anywhere else?

Santana Moss 75% - I think he is more valuable to us than anywhere else.

Carlos Rogers 50% - How much money does he think he is worth? That is the question.

Jamal Brown 30% - I had this percentage a lot higher before Ryan Harris was released by Denver. There are other Right Tackles including Harris that are avalable free agency that might be cheaper and are certainly younger. Does he want to be paid like a Left Tackle?

Rocky McIntosh 0% - No chance

Do any of these guys affect our draft?

The only ones I expect back are Moss and Grossman. It is Grossman's best chance of becoming relevant and it is our best chance of winning..this season.

Moss already said he wants to come back and he played well last year. I imagine he will be back. I do not see why not. Plus he has stated that he like Grossman. Something he never did with Campbell.

Rogers would be back if he did not over value himself. He thinks he should be one of the top paid corners in the league. He really is a good compliment to Hall because he plays the run well and his hips are fluid enough that he can line up against a slot reciever.

I think Brown is as good as gone. We were a stepping stone for him. He wants to be a LT again and wants that kind of money. He hinted at this several times last year after we traded for him. I assumed this would happen. The only way he comes back is if the rest of the league low balls him and that is not happening. He will get a starting LT job somewhere.

No way McIntosh is back.

A Ryan Harris or somebody like him might influence draft choices, I think. If FA is after the draft, though, there's a bit of uncertainty-we're not the only team looking for a RT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.